The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I don't really want to say too much more until we get the word ... so consider this my subdued impressions
Consider me hyped for it.

If it's anything like Mantis in it's level of quality I will be all over it.
Old 19th July 2018
Gear Maniac
AA Library

I hear what you guys are saying about the AA library, there is a lot of mediocre programs and you have to wade through a lot to find the good stuff. But if you are patient and keep notes you can just get rid of the dross, there is some really good stuff in there.

For me, the advantage it has over Henry's AYCE which you you just set and leave, is that there are reverbs, phasers, compressors, eq's etc, things you can actually tweak and for folks new to nebula or just starting out mixing it immediately gives you mixing tools that are very useful, it is essentially a full studio in one plugin.

To me it is more a case of "as well as", not "instead of", use them both, they are both great tools to get the ball rolling.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Geranium

Old 19th July 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongLoft View Post
Hello all,

I find myself at the crossroads of wanting to invest more in the 3rd party Nebula libraries BUT I'm very concerned about future support of the platform. (If TimP, Cupwise etc. are going to not be onboard, it will be a monumental loss for the platform IMO) I'm wondering if buying more Aquas and official Nebula is a safer bet for continued support.

Is there any consensus yet on what is coming down the road as far as compatibility and support ? i.e. Will N5 not support 3rd party libraries and then we'll be stuck using the last OS that supports N4 ?

I've searched through the history and seen AA's reasoning but I'm curious what the best guess is at this point.

If the new platform AA is offering doesn't fit with TimP and Tim C's business plans, I really hope a special arrangement like a legacy deal could be offered to them to keep them on board.

My particular bread & butter is doing production music where it's not uncommon to get a request to pull up a session from 10 years ago, make an edit and all ASAP or the client goes elsewhere.

I know I can Freeze / Print tracks but it's a real impediment to a quick workflow
when working on a high volume of tracks.

I try and stick with companies that will have longevity as best as I can tell.

cheers
Why would Acustica stop supporting these libraries when they are actually still a good reason for many to buy N4? Yes, we want to push the new developers, but if you look at how Nebulas and even Acquas are made, there is always the consideration of backwards compatibility.

BTW I personally keep here an old laptop with OSX from 2011 with N3 and today all new projects are done with N4 and a newer OSX on another computer.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

I have waited quite some time to update N4. However I would like to trial some of the new products for N4.

Can I install N4 over top of my current installation?

I have backed up my nebulatemprepository folder to an external drive.

Will it leave everything as is, and just apply the update over top so to speak?

Aquarius lists a bunch of updates for reverbs and programs as well. I assume this is factory library updates and I should install these as well?

The original Vst2 install was in the acustica64 sub directory. So I should just point to this in the aquarius settings, and all should be fine?

I am kind of nervous about this all because N4 is across many projects, but I need to just bite the bullet and put on my big boy pants.

Anyone have any further thoughts or tips? Thanks
Old 19th July 2018
Gear Head

Hi,

There was a discussion a while back where G described the shifting relationship between the original 3rd party developers and AA as a company.
I believe I understood his current position where AA has produced the technology but is not receiving a direct compensation from the 3rd party developers.
Granted, those developers are what helped create the platform but moving forward, AA may choose to be more aggressive for their bottom line.

Judging by their history , AA has seemed very fair with supporting older platforms.

However, if they end up choosing to push all 3rd party developers to be under the official AA developer rules, I was asking opinions on if / when we may see a nebula release that doesn't support the original 3rd party developers.

Yes keeping an old OS around is one possibility but it's a complete workflow killer for any realtime mixing.
I could see using this approach however for processing tracks through 37j Tape and then Alex B's MFC and pulling up an old plug in.

Thanks for the input
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
I have waited quite some time to update N4. However I would like to trial some of the new products for N4.

I have backed up my nebulatemprepository folder to an external drive.

Will it leave everything as is, and just apply the update over top so to speak?

Aquarius lists a bunch of updates for reverbs and programs as well. I assume this is factory library updates and I should install these as well?

The original Vst2 install was in the acustica64 sub directory. So I should just point to this in the aquarius settings, and all should be fine?

I am kind of nervous about this all because N4 is across many projects, but I need to just bite the bullet and put on my big boy pants.

Anyone have any further thoughts or tips? Thanks
I waited on N4 too, I ran N3 and N4 together for 10 months before committing to N4, it was smooth sailing and I have zero issues to report. N4 is more efficient than N3 on my system and the transition was smooth.

N4 will install to it's own nebula4temprepository, but I did put the VST in a new n4 folder. You can run both easily. I would just look at your system and determine what is the easiest path for you and go that way. For me keeping N4 in a separate folder made sense so I could move from N3 easily without any N4 disruption.

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 19th July 2018 at 04:37 PM..
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

From what I recall during beta-test ...

N4 is a separate product.

It can NOT share the same repository as NEBULA without causing a conflict.
Specifically, the Repository Folder.
[yes ... some people have workaround this ... I don't know the details].
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

The critical thing is to make sure Aquarius is pointing to the correct install locations,
If your previous N4 install was not via Aquarius I would probably uninstall it first, or at least move the plugin files to the desktop to be sure Aquarius doesn't have any issues with overwriting them.

If you are really that nervous why not set a backup restore point and make sure you have time to do it in the unlikely event it's necessary.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Un. F***ing. Believable.

Had finally got N4 running and GUI showing.

Tried using the GUI settings to add alternate paths. Tested by closing plug and reopening. Worked.

Tentatively added some more. Tested. Worked.

RIDICULOUSLY, the software won't allow me to select a *batch* of alternate paths, so I had to go through every single one of the Henry O libraries and the libraries I've purchased, one by one, each time re-navigating through the files to where I have them stored. Massive and unnecessary PITA which could surely be avoided by better programming.

Finally finished that. Closed and reopened the app... Now the GUI is broken again - not opening at all.

FML.

I've never experienced anything like this sort of mess with a commercial software before.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yep, nebulatemprepository has all N3 data and nebula4temprepository has all N4 data.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Rebooted. Still no GUI. Seems I've just lost yet another bunch of hours' work and need to start over YET AGAIN.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Un. F***ing. Believable.

Tried using the GUI settings to add alternate paths. Tested by closing plug and reopening. Worked.

RIDICULOUSLY, the software won't allow me to select a *batch* of alternate paths, so I had to go through every single one of the Henry O libraries and the libraries I've purchased, one by one, each time re-navigating through the files to where I have them stored. Massive and unnecessary PITA which could surely be avoided by better programming.

Finally finished that. Closed and reopened the app... Now the GUI is broken again - not opening at all.

FML.

I've never experienced anything like this sort of mess with a commercial software before.
I've run Nebula on 5 different computers and never had this issue so I suspect this is a problem on your particular system. GUI issues should be hashed out with AA support as something is clearly not working together there.

Also update you graphic card drivers.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Sorry for the confusion. Must have been my wording.

I have been running N4 for 1.5 years now. It was an original Box download and install.

I just want to update with aquarius and bring it to current version and engine so I can try some of the new products.

Aquarius says Manual update (please re-install)

Just wondering if this will install ok over top of my current N4 installation?
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sorry for confusion. I have never run N3. I just want to update (re-install) N4 from aquarius.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I waited on N4 too, I ran N3 and N4 together for 10 months before committing to N4, it was smooth sailing and I have zero issues to report. N4 is more efficient than N3 on my system and the transition was smooth.

N4 will install to it's own nebula4temprepository, but I did put the VST in a new n4 folder. You can run both easily. I would just look at your system and determine what is the easiest path for you and go that way. For me keeping N4 in a separate folder made sense so I could move from N3 easily without any N4 disruption.
Sorry for confusion. I have never run N3. I just want to update (re-install) N4 from aquarius.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Does anyone know... When I use the Nebula GUI settings to add an alternative path, where does N4 store that data (on OS X)?

I backed up the entire Nebula 4 folder from Library>Audio>Presets.

I then used Aquarius to uninstall and reinstall N4.

I rebooted... Now the GUI works again..... However, I've lost the memory of the pathways I added......... Can I simply copy back a data file that will bring back those connections that took hours to create?

I wouldn't mind creating them all again, except for the fact there's no reason to think the same problem won't happen again.

Ughhh.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
OH ... ok ... yes, install over current with Aquarius.

WARNING.

The PATH that we used to use for MANUAL installation is handled differently.

The OLD WAY used to add 'Acustica64' to the installation path.

The AQUARIUS way installs to EXACTLY the path you set. [which is the RIGHT WAY it should have been]. This messed with me during beta. [old habit].

NOTE: I always make a backup to a desktop folder with important N4 files. Especially the XML files. [i don't backup the massive Program/Vector folders].
Mainly the VST stuff.

It's been a while, and I'm just flying through ... maybe others will offer more specifics.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Un. F***ing. Believable.

FML.

Why are you setting this many PATHS ??
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
First install failed. Had to uninstall and reinstall. That made N4 finally work, but the library was then missing. Then Aquarius refused to re-download the libraries. That meant I've had to manually download and install the factory libraries.

Once I'd finally got all that working, I've then set about installing the 3rd party content... The Henry O libraries... The other free libraries I've found... And the libraries I've purchased.

As far as I've understood it (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, as it will save me a f***tonne of misery), in order to install those AND keep that data in the location of my choice, I need to go into the GUI settings, then add a new data path.
First, I obviously tried doing that for the master-folder where all the third party content is... But no dice - N4 seems to want to be shown the individual folder enclosing each and every library, before they will become available... That means, for example, it's seemingly not enough to just show it the Cupwise Plates of Legend 1 folder - but instead I have to go INTO that folder and show it the 44.1khz folder, then repeat the process for the 96khz folder.

Again, PLEASE correct me if there's a more intuitive way of doing this(???)
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does anyone know... When I use the Nebula GUI settings to add an alternative path, where does N4 store that data (on OS X)?

I backed up the entire Nebula 4 folder from Library>Audio>Presets.

I then used Aquarius to uninstall and reinstall N4.

I rebooted... Now the GUI works again..... However, I've lost the memory of the pathways I added......... Can I simply copy back a data file that will bring back those connections that took hours to create?

I wouldn't mind creating them all again, except for the fact there's no reason to think the same problem won't happen again.

Ughhh.
Anyone?
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there anyway to make it auto-find ALL libraries within an enclosing folder, in the way you'd intuitively expect it to be able to do?
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there anyway to make it auto-find ALL libraries within an enclosing folder, in the way you'd intuitively expect it to be able to do?
Yeah ... exactly the way it is already programmed to do.

I've no idea what you are trying to do.

The basic principle is:

N2P files go in PROGRAM Folder

N2V files go in VECTOR Folder.

Personally, I use the AlternativePath Folder included in N4repository. Inside that are the 3rd party Devs folder with Program/Vector folders.

Inside N-4 Setups, you can tell N-4 where the files are by identifying the Dev folder.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The OLD WAY used to add 'Acustica64' to the installation path.
Thank you RJHollins and WTW and stella645.

That is my current installed path. (acustica64)

So I am thinking, if I just point to that in aquarius settings, it should keep it all the same and not alter anything?

Thank you for taking the time. This has me a little hesitant. It needs to be done, however it is all working wonderfully as is.

Last edited by brockorama; 19th July 2018 at 07:19 PM..
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you RJHollins and WTW.

That is my current installed path. (acustica64)

So I am thinking, if I just point to that in aquarius settings, it should keep it all the same and not alter anything?

Thank you for taking the time. This has me a little hesitant. It needs to be done, however it is all working wonderfully as is.
If this helps, my Aquarius PATHS from Settings are:

VST2 x64 Path: C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns\acustica64\

n4 repository: C:\nebula4temprepository\
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've no idea what you are trying to do.
I've been trying to use this method:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
No manual edit xml needed.

In N4, select Settings tab, under Alternative data path, select + and add those folders. Done. Easy

+ i can even organise the N4 Folder 3rd party libraries into Consoles, EQ’s, Tape, etc with a simple "tag".
... Which does actually work.... Or at least it *did* work...... And that way I can keep the 3rd party libraries in a location of my own choosing (ie, on an external drive).

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but N4 has so far only worked for me when I install it to the system drive... But I ideally don't want to keep adding all the third party libraries there, owing to space restrictions.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
If this helps, my Aquarius PATHS from Settings are:

VST2 x64 Path: C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns\acustica64\

n4 repository: C:\nebula4temprepository\
Thank you. I will keep my path the same. For me, I have to add this in aquarius settings to point to the acustica64 location. My usual for all aquas is F:VstPlugins.

FWIW, (for anyone reading this down the road) I have since dropped the acustica64 path for everything else (AA Aquas) because I installed them all from scratch utilizing the stage area etc...

AA doesn't provide the acustica64 path by default anymore, so I could see no reason to keep it.

My aquas are all in the root Folder now. (VstPlugins)

N4 is literally the only thing left that is in the acustica64 folder.

I will report back after the disaster happens

Thanks for your time.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but N4 has so far only worked for me when I install it to the system drive... But I ideally don't want to keep adding all the third party libraries there, owing to space restrictions.
You don't need multiple filepaths just to get the datapath off your c drive. You just need a single altdatapath and all your libraries will go in there.

Set this in Aquarius for future installations and set it in N4 finder to find the libraries and you're done.
If you already installed any library from Aquarius to the c drive uninstall it first using Aquarius and reinstall to the correct drive so Aquarius is aware of the new location.

There may be other valid reasons to use multi altdatapaths but you should probably get it working with a single path at first. I've never bothered with any more than that.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
You don't need multiple filepaths just to get the datapath off your c drive. You just need a single altdatapath and all your libraries will go in there.

Set this in Aquarius for future installations and set it in N4 finder to find the libraries and you're done.
If you already installed any library from Aquarius to the c drive uninstall it first using Aquarius and reinstall to the correct drive so Aquarius is aware of the new location.

There may be other valid reasons to use multi altdatapaths but you should probably get it working with a single path at first. I've never bothered with any more than that.
Using the AlternatePaths for the 3rd party Libraries is helpful in organization. When you have over 5k+ of presets.
In practice, N4 won't care ... as long as its' told what the paths are.

Although rarely successful, I try to be somewhat organized.

IMPORTANT: Just remember - Aquarius MUST be run with Administrative Mode to allow writing of files !
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Thanks for your input.

I've tested this extensively - uninstalling and experimenting with different settings during the reinstall......... From what I've seen, the N4 GUI will only open for me if I've taken the default settings and installed everything directly to my system drive.

I've now given up fighting; I'm moving other stuff off my system drive to make space for all of the Acustica data. Hopefully this will get it working.

Cheers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search