The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Head

Hello all,

I find myself at the crossroads of wanting to invest more in the 3rd party Nebula libraries BUT I'm very concerned about future support of the platform. (If TimP, Cupwise etc. are going to not be onboard, it will be a monumental loss for the platform IMO) I'm wondering if buying more Aquas and official Nebula is a safer bet for continued support.

Is there any consensus yet on what is coming down the road as far as compatibility and support ? i.e. Will N5 not support 3rd party libraries and then we'll be stuck using the last OS that supports N4 ?

I've searched through the history and seen AA's reasoning but I'm curious what the best guess is at this point.

If the new platform AA is offering doesn't fit with TimP and Tim C's business plans, I really hope a special arrangement like a legacy deal could be offered to them to keep them on board.

My particular bread & butter is doing production music where it's not uncommon to get a request to pull up a session from 10 years ago, make an edit and all ASAP or the client goes elsewhere.

I know I can Freeze / Print tracks but it's a real impediment to a quick workflow
when working on a high volume of tracks.

I try and stick with companies that will have longevity as best as I can tell.

cheers
Old 18th July 2018
You seem to be questioning 2 different concept here.

First, in my point of view, N4 has just been properly programmed and reviewed ( 2-3 months ago ) and I dont see any N5 annoucement comming in the upcomming year. For the lack of possible option that were possible before on N3 (setup and offline processing with 3rd party software), I dont think it would make sense to simply go from a water down version of N3 called N4 and then suddenly go to N5 for any unicornish reason. I could be wrong but that would just make no sense and pretty much piss off all their clients.

The second concept or idea youre underlining is Acustica Audio possible bankruptcy.
As you might know, they are now developing and venturing into the hardware world, so again, I dont have any reason to believe that a growing and continuously developing company like them would sudenly just stop developing. They are making good money, you shouldnt worry about that.

Of course, like you, all I said are based on assumption and presumption so you take what you want out of it, no one know the future of Humanity.

All the best.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeete View Post
Wait for BF in November if you can. that’s when i bought it last year.
I most likely will wait until then. Im pretty sold on the N4/N4 player moving forward though. I unexpectedly prefer the 3rd party Mantis, Bronze, Copper and confident I'll purchase Brass over the newer non 3rd party Aquas.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
So, now almost a week after the purchase, despite days' of effort trying, I've still not yet got the thing working.
As I told you before, just skip the AA library, it's 10GB and you might use 5 programs total, lol. Most of us have not used the AA library in many years and don't miss it, the magic of Nebula has always been the 3rd party developers.

HO's AYCE is bigger and so much better IMHO and is the unofficial stock Nebula library to the Nebula community, full of many amazing programs you'll use as long as you use Nebula. That's why it's the first library we always reccomend to new users, NOT the AA library.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear
I removed the Neb factory altogether a few years ago. The big hint is that you'll notice no-one ever talks them. There's a few good ones but I found better alts. for my needs.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
I removed the Neb factory altogether a few years ago. The big hint is that you'll notice no-one ever talks them. There's a few good ones but I found better alts. for my needs.
This. Henry O All you can eat is the real factory library.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear
I recently got to hear an LA-2A for first time on a bunch of sources. Ive also heard a bunch of clones and they dont do it justice. Never understood why all the lust. But having heard the real thing The LA-2A and the Focusrite Red Compressor, do these exist in Nebula?
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
Yeah, I had it out for years but back in for N4 beta testing but removed it again as I found nothing special for my needs. Now then the AYCE, that I gladly paid for before Henry offered it for free, I use daily.... he's still really the only one who did a quality selection of mic's. Gemini only did 3 mic's and honestly I found them to be off, I tested his Horch and VM-1 library against my Horch and VM-1 and they were not remotely close IMHO. Henry's mics on the other hand are a large assortment of quality color options much closer to the actual microphones he sampled.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
I recently got to hear an LA-2A for first time on a bunch of sources. Ive also heard a bunch of clones and they dont do it justice. Never understood why all the lust. But having heard the real thing The LA-2A and the Focusrite Red Compressor, do these exist in Nebula?
The closest to an LA2A in Nebula is Tim P's Opto 3A, it's the LA3A but he has a LA2A option, so it will be a solid state LA2A. That's not the same as an LA2A but closer than anything else. Tim's Stay Level comp is also very LA2A-ish, but with a different action and tonal shift but well worth checking out on vocals.

The thing with the hardware LA2A's is it's a one trick comp and a bit woolly/veiled at times, great for older sounding vocals and live bass but misses on a lot of other instruments and especially modern vocals. They were considered a classic but IMHO over the last 20 years we've seen compressors go way beyond the LA2A.

If you really want to hear what a modern LA2A could be, check out the Requisite Audio comps but be prepared to be floored as they are amazing opto comps. Danny lived next to the original LA2A designer and they were friends. Danny used the original designs to base his comps after.... then he took them to a whole other level.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongLoft View Post
Is there any consensus yet on what is coming down the road as far as compatibility and support ? i.e. Will N5 not support 3rd party libraries and then we'll be stuck using the last OS that supports N4 ?
Considering Nebula has been around for 12 years and N3 went for 10 and still works in Win 10 with every library still working, Nebula longevity should not be an issue. AA's recent commitment to Nebula4 should be seen as commitment to the platform, especially if you are running N4 on Win 10, which should give you 10 more years of service. All software has a limited use time based on hardware and OS, AA has as of today kept all of the Nebula libraries working with N4. Only the free N4 Player will not load 3rd party dev's programs, that is so users can demo Nebula libraries before you buy using Aquarius. That's been a long requested feature, I've been buying Nebula libraries blind for a decade, I've easily wasted $500 on libraries I never use.

I'm a bit concerned also about the non N4 3rd party dev's myself but after testing the new Henry-Q and Bronze I can say the new 3rd party dev's are making top notch libraries, Soundrops has my attention in a major way after Mantis and Henry-Q. I still hold out hope Tim P, Cupwise, and Alex B jump to N4 but only time will tell what will happen. The new generation developers are for real IMHO.

My best guess is that AA will run N4 another 5 years based on the past, with AA adding more official N4 3rd party developers and those developers will continue to bring us quality libraries. I could see N5 coming in 5 years but I have no idea if N5 will support all Nebula 3 and 4 libraries.... only G knows what his long term plans are. I could see him keeping Nebula 5 loading every Nebula library made but that is just my naive guess based on my faith in him from many conversations over the years. I just can't see G loose 15 years of Nebula development by making N5 not support all the libraries, it would cripple Nebula IMHO and seriously undermined his core support base...... but again I'm just guessing here.

I myself will keep supporting Nebula as long as it's a tool that allows me to accomplish my musical goals.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
If you really want to hear what a modern LA2A could be, check out the Requisite Audio comps but be prepared to be floored as they are amazing opto comps. Danny lived next to the original LA2A designer and they were friends. Danny used the original designs to base his comps after.... then he took them to a whole other level.
I have insane GearLust© for the L2M MK3. Waiting for the day one pops up in the EU at a good price.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Guys will someone explain to me what is this new "Henry-Q"?
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Guys will someone explain to me what is this new "Henry-Q"?
It's SoundDrops (Mantis comp) new Geranium based EQ, and it is a fantastic sounding yet simple mix EQ.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Nothing ITB is touching the La2a. Even my GAP-2A hold its own and I’ve purchased and owned all the plugs and emus you can think of. As I said in another post. Plugs can’t model time or wear and tear.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I have insane GearLust© for the L2M MK3. Waiting for the day one pops up in the EU at a good price.
I'm so with ya, but I went a slightly different path with the VT-7, and my two favorite tube companies.

At some point I'm going to have to do the Requisite Nebula libraries myself, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-seeing-red.jpg  
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's SoundDrops (Mantis comp) new Geranium based EQ, and it is a fantastic sounding yet simple mix EQ.
Nice! Thanks Will!
I bought Mantis recently and I'm quite satisfied with my choice.
Can't wait to try Henry-Q!
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm so with ya, but I went a slightly different path with the VT-7, and my two favorite tube companies.

At some point I'm going to have to do the Requisite Nebula libraries myself, lol.
Need a drooling emoticon
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
As I told you before, just skip the AA library, it's 10GB and you might use 5 programs total, lol.
I read you loud and clear and I appreciate the advice.

Still, it might be quite nice to eventually get the product I've paid for. Some people have said that some of the reverbs are decent.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
new Geranium based EQ
That sounds blooming lovely.

Rosey, even.

I expect it will be a perennial classic.

Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Was wondering if you'd ever become a dev.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
The closest to an LA2A in Nebula is Tim P's Opto 3A, it's the LA3A but he has a LA2A option, so it will be a solid state LA2A. That's not the same as an LA2A but closer than anything else. Tim's Stay Level comp is also very LA2A-ish, but with a different action and tonal shift but well worth checking out on vocals.

The thing with the hardware LA2A's is it's a one trick comp and a bit woolly/veiled at times, great for older sounding vocals and live bass but misses on a lot of other instruments and especially modern vocals. They were considered a classic but IMHO over the last 20 years we've seen compressors go way beyond the LA2A.

Thanks for this. Ive heard the STA Level a couple years ago and remembering liking it but the $$$ was unavailable for a purchase. I instead added the Retro Powerstrip to my shopping list for a vocal strip. Im looking forward to finally trying Timp's compressors. Ive been lacking in track compression.

Is the Henry-Q a Sound Drops original or is it from something known? If its not too early to give info.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

I am really looking forward to trying the SoundDrops eq, Mantis is one of the classiest plugins I own.

I hope I can run it with as low cpu and mix into those two on the buss, being an eq library I feel like it'd be higher.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Was wondering if you'd ever become a dev.
Yep, I'm waiting for AA to host a workshop on the American continent and I will be there.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
Is the Henry-Q a Sound Drops original or is it from something known? If its not too early to give info.
I'm not sure, there has been nothing to hint at what it was sampled from, just like Mantis.... but there are a limited number of Geranium EQ's out there.
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Considering Nebula has been around for 12 years and N3 went for 10 and still works in Win 10 with every library still working, Nebula longevity should not be an issue. AA's recent commitment to Nebula4 should be seen as commitment to the platform, especially if you are running N4 on Win 10, which should give you 10 more years of service. All software has a limited use time based on hardware and OS, AA has as of today kept all of the Nebula libraries working with N4. Only the free N4 Player will not load 3rd party dev's programs, that is so users can demo Nebula libraries before you buy using Aquarius. That's been a long requested feature, I've been buying Nebula libraries blind for a decade, I've easily wasted $500 on libraries I never use.

I'm a bit concerned also about the non N4 3rd party dev's myself but after testing the new Henry-Q and Bronze I can say the new 3rd party dev's are making top notch libraries, Soundrops has my attention in a major way after Mantis and Henry-Q. I still hold out hope Tim P, Cupwise, and Alex B jump to N4 but only time will tell what will happen. The new generation developers are for real IMHO.

My best guess is that AA will run N4 another 5 years based on the past, with AA adding more official N4 3rd party developers and those developers will continue to bring us quality libraries. I could see N5 coming in 5 years but I have no idea if N5 will support all Nebula 3 and 4 libraries.... only G knows what his long term plans are. I could see him keeping Nebula 5 loading every Nebula library made but that is just my naive guess based on my faith in him from many conversations over the years. I just can't see G loose 15 years of Nebula development by making N5 not support all the libraries, it would cripple Nebula IMHO and seriously undermined his core support base...... but again I'm just guessing here.

I myself will keep supporting Nebula as long as it's a tool that allows me to accomplish my musical goals.
In my opinion, Acqua Libraries like Bronze, Tokyo, Mantis and Cooper is the way to go. I really like the old 3rd party devs, like TimP, Cupwise and AlexB, but I don't think I'll support them again as much as I did. Unless, of course, they go to that route.

I mean, there is a choice today to make a better workflow for Nebula. If they are not going to address that, there is not much incentive for me to keep buying their libraries..
Old 19th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

Thanks as always for the insight Will, you're the man.

I didn't realize how long N3 was around before the N4 upgrade.

I'm on Mac OS but just looked up that N4 will support Mavericks which was released in 2013. That makes me feel a little more comfortable.

Fingers crossed that Tim P, Tim C and Alex B will eventually come into the fold!
-CV
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not sure, there has been nothing to hint at what it was sampled from, just like Mantis.... but there are a limited number of Geranium EQ's out there.
If it's SoundDrops he will have made the unit himself no? The whole metaware thing that the projects about is homemade equipment purpose built to turn into a library which is what Mantis is. That's what it says on the site/manual.

How's the cpu/sound or is it too early to drop info?
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Not sure how much info to share regarding HENRY-Q. We are still in early beta-test.

But I will say, it is difficult to be quiet about these SoundDrop products. The Dev [SteDal] is no stranger to the AA platform, and
the release of MANTIS continues to be used with most everything I've worked on lately. Still only use it for a dB or so compression.
I just like what it does !

The Henry-Q is something that was not a focus for Mastering work ... but that never stopped me experimenting
I had a Mastering project of a Live group recording of some Classic cover tunes. [Stones, etc].
It was one of those 'handheld' recordings that the Band wanted me to tweek.

It is amazing what a Germanium equalizer [and PreAmp] can bring to the sonic table.

The eq Bands and curves, along with the Filters & PreAmp ... combined with a understated GUI interface, is something I think a lot of people
are really going to like.

Whether it is a commercial hardware unit, or one custom built for this library ... SteDal has a very good sense of what sounds good. Real good.

I don't really want to say too much more until we get the word ... so consider this my subdued impressions
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Oh ... something else I wanted to express.

There have been questions about the 'potential' sonic difference between NEBULA and N-4.

A few days back, I had revisited an earlier Mastering session that was all NEBULA. I started making substitutions by adding a N-4 instance with the
same exact Preset and settings.

I then began A/B comparisons between Nebula and N-4.

Without doubt, using the same settings ... N-4 version just sounds clearer [one way to describe]. Nebula sounded 'cloudy' and slightly dull [though I hesitate to use
'dull' in this sense]. Cloudy seems a better adjective. Something else is going on ... it may very well be subtle, but it is unmistakable in my Mastering Room.

I believe that with the cumulative stacking of Nebula's that one would direct swap for N-4 would result in a significant way. The N-4 instance has a clarity,
and definition in details that might call for adjusting [taming back] some of the settings.

What I found is that switching 2 Console Presets in the chain to an N-4 instances was about as much I wanted to do WITHOUT switching out everything to N-4
and basically re-tweeking the Master. Without a doubt, the new N-4 based Master would sound even better .... and those NEBULA based mixes already sound
good [Clients were happy].

I've no Scientific data ... no graphs or charts. Only level matched A/B comparisons and my observation/opinion.

Is it night and day ? Well ... all I can tell ya ... I will not be using the NEBULA REVERB instance again. It will be N-4.

I thought I might take on the mission of updating all my work to N-4 ... but that would not be practical ... so I will need to keep BOTH formats installed.
Looks like a couple more 4T-byte harddrives to purchase. oh well ....
Old 19th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Oh ... something else I wanted to express.

There have been questions about the 'potential' sonic difference between NEBULA and N-4.

A few days back, I had revisited an earlier Mastering session that was all NEBULA. I started making substitutions by adding a N-4 instance with the
same exact Preset and settings.

I then began A/B comparisons between Nebula and N-4.

Without doubt, using the same settings ... N-4 version just sounds clearer [one way to describe]. Nebula sounded 'cloudy' and slightly dull [though I hesitate to use
'dull' in this sense]. Cloudy seems a better adjective. Something else is going on ... it may very well be subtle, but it is unmistakable in my Mastering Room.

I believe that with the cumulative stacking of Nebula's that one would direct swap for N-4 would result in a significant way. The N-4 instance has a clarity,
and definition in details that might call for adjusting [taming back] some of the settings.

What I found is that switching 2 Console Presets in the chain to an N-4 instances was about as much I wanted to do WITHOUT switching out everything to N-4
and basically re-tweeking the Master. Without a doubt, the new N-4 based Master would sound even better .... and those NEBULA based mixes already sound
good [Clients were happy].

I've no Scientific data ... no graphs or charts. Only level matched A/B comparisons and my observation/opinion.

Is it night and day ? Well ... all I can tell ya ... I will not be using the NEBULA REVERB instance again. It will be N-4.

I thought I might take on the mission of updating all my work to N-4 ... but that would not be practical ... so I will need to keep BOTH formats installed.
Looks like a couple more 4T-byte harddrives to purchase. oh well ....
Interesting, I did similar tests and found that they both nulled 100% (testing EQs and Preamps). Perhaps I should check again?
b

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search