The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
I've now downloaded the Henry Olonga libraries. How do I get N4 to recognise third party libraries?

I've seen stuff about 'vectors' etc, but it doesn't mean anything to me yet.

On a related note, I can't find a user manual for N4. Is there one?

Thanks in advance for any pointers
Just move the Programs files to the Programs folder and Vectors files to the Vectors folder in Nebula4 folder.

N4 Manual (end of the page) @ N4 - Acustica Audio

More FAQ, please join the AA Facebook page @ Acustica Audio - Official Group public group | Facebook

and read this @ Facebook
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Danke
Old 15th July 2018
Quote:
I've now downloaded the Henry Olonga libraries. How do I get N4 to recognise third party libraries?

I've seen stuff about 'vectors' etc, but it doesn't mean anything to me yet.

On a related note, I can't find a user manual for N4. Is there one?

On your computer, there will be a folder labelled n4temprepository. Inside this folder will be many other folders, including one labelled Programs and one labelled Vectors.

Just drag all the Henry Olonga .n2p files into the Programs folder, and all the .n2v files into the Vectors folder.

The next time you load up N4 in your DAW it may take a little longer to initialize while is scans all of these and adds them to your list. Then when you click Finder, you should see everything there, i think under the (HO) category.

Then have fun!
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Danke
Also, if you search this and the few Nebula threads you'll find every Nebula answer to every nebula question you could ask..... we're 12 years into Nebula here.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
On your computer, there will be a folder labelled n4temprepository. Inside this folder will be many other folders, including one labelled Programs and one labelled Vectors.

Just drag all the Henry Olonga .n2p files into the Programs folder, and all the .n2v files into the Vectors folder.

The next time you load up N4 in your DAW it may take a little longer to initialize while is scans all of these and adds them to your list. Then when you click Finder, you should see everything there, i think under the (HO) category.

Then have fun!
or to stay better organized ... there is an internal Folder called 'AlternativeDataPath'. In there you will see various 3rd party Devs. In those are the Program and Vector Folders.

Note: in order for N4 to access THOSE specific locations, does require a manual edit [addition] in the N4.XML file. details on the AA site.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
or to stay better organized ... there is an internal Folder called 'AlternativeDataPath'. In there you will see various 3rd party Devs. In those are the Program and Vector Folders.

Note: in order for N4 to access THOSE specific locations, does require a manual edit [addition] in the N4.XML file. details on the AA site.
No manual edit xml needed.

In N4, select Settings tab, under Alternative data path, select + and add those folders. Done. Easy

+ i can even organise the N4 Folder 3rd party libraries into Consoles, EQ’s, Tape, etc with a simple "tag".
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
In N4, select Settings tab, under Alternative data path, select + and add those folders. Done. Easy
Thanks... I've used this solution!
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

After a lot of hassle, I've finally got N4 running.

Still waiting for support to fix me up with the commercial factory library.

So far, I've got the Henry Olonga All You Can Eat, plus I've purchased Cupwise's Plates 1 and Plates 2.

I'm going to grab the VNXTe240 plate next.

I appreciate this entire thread is full of recommendations for libraries... But so far, I keep finding the recommendations are moot as the companies no longer exist... Eg Analog In The Box (for Mammoth EQ) and Room Hunters (reverbs).

.... If anyone would kindly recommend me their favourites of *currently available* libraries that are 'must haves', without me needing to trawl through 126 pages of defunct programmes, I'd be very, very grateful.
In particular, I'm especially looking for reverbs and EQs.

Thanks!
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
favourites of *currently available* libraries
http://timpetherick.co.uk/

www.cupwise.com

http://www.alessandroboschi.eu
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I keep finding the recommendations are moot as the companies no longer exist... Eg Analog In The Box (for Mammoth EQ) and Room Hunters (reverbs).
While Room Hunters is no long around they put their one verb program up for free a few years back like Henry did, and they are just as valuable today as a tool today for free as they were when I paid for them. AITB is still around, they just released the Acqua Azure EQ a few months back, and you should eventually own all their real space verbs IMHO. Calling tools we still use every day defunct makes you sound amateurish FWIW, that kind of attitude will put some off.

Quote:
.... If anyone would kindly recommend me their favourites of *currently available* libraries that are 'must haves', without me needing to trawl through 126 pages of defunct programmes, I'd be very, very grateful.
What you call trawling some would call researching..... as I said above everything about Nebula is here, simply take the time and do your research. We get tired repeating ourselves every time a new user discovers Nebula and refuses to search.

As to libraries you want to pay for..... hit up Tim P, Tim Cupwise and Alex B, they are all 3 still active and have everything you will want..... and spend the time with HO's AYCE. FWIW there are no shortcuts with this technology, you'll have to learn the programs to determine what sound direction you want to come from tool wise, just like hardware.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks!
All Tim Petherick’s EQ’s & compressors and other products are top notch.

AlexB Consoles is a must have - MFC, R88, N14, A16, 9KC etc

EQ

I would suggest to go with Acqua plug-ins where you have all EQ’s at hand.

With Nebula4, u only load get to load 1 EQ band per instance. If you need the full bands EQ, you need to use 3 or more Nebula4 instances.

Reverb

AITB E.A.R is one of the top reverbs and lots of raves reviews on them.

Acqua Ebony, give this a try and also try Acqua Lemon for Delay
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Other N4 libraries to check out: Bronze-eQ, Henry-Q, Mantis Compressor.

These are Acqua 'style' libraries designed for the N-4 format.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Henry-Q?
What is this?
I thought I new everything about Aquas
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
While Room Hunter is no long around they put their one verb program up for free a few years back
I just Googled this and got no result. Their website seems dead.

Quote:
AITB is still around, they just released the Acqua Azure EQ a few months back, and you should eventually own all their real space verbs IMHO.
Okay, must be that their website is down just temporarily then.

Quote:
What you call trawling some would call researching..... as I said above everything about Nebula is here, simply take the time and do your research. We get tired repeating ourselves every time a new user discovers Nebula and refuses to search.
I have been reading about Nebula for about 5 days now. I'm coming back to it, having not used it since Nebula 3 (free), about 7 years ago.
While I have read a good chunk of this thread, it seems (a) a lot of discussion pertains to discontinued products, and (b) things can develop quite rapidly in music technology, so what someone said was the bees-knees in 2011 might be way surpassed now, or superseded by more efficient products.

I was just hoping to get current subjective opinions on what people are using right now - in precisely the way the other posters have replied.
You can feel absolutely welcome not to reply to any of my posts that you do not wish to.

Quote:

As to libraries you want to pay for..... hit up Tim P, Tim Cupwise and Alex B, they are all 3 still active and have everything you will want.
Thanks, yes - three of the most famous companies - I'm aware of them - I was just wondering which of their libraries people rated highest.

I've bought Cupwise plates 1 & 2... They sound incredible.

Thanks.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
All Tim Petherick’s EQ’s & compressors and other products are top notch.

AlexB Consoles is a must have - MFC, R88, N14, A16, 9KC etc

EQ

I would suggest to go with Acqua plug-ins where you have all EQ’s at hand.

With Nebula4, u only load get to load 1 EQ band per instance. If you need the full bands EQ, you need to use 3 or more Nebula4 instances.

Reverb

AITB E.A.R is one of the top reverbs and lots of raves reviews on them.

Acqua Ebony, give this a try and also try Acqua Lemon for Delay
Thanks, these are exactly the sort of answers I'd hoped for!
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was just wondering which of their libraries people rated highest.
That depends, are you an SSL 4K, SSL Xlogic, vintage Neve, modern AMS Neve, vintage API, modern API, EMI, MCI, Trident, Helios, Neumann, Harrison, Amek, or Focusrite fan? Are you producing, mixing or mastering? How much hardware experience do you have? Do you like notched EQ's or totally variable? Do you prefer character or precision tools? What color are you striving for in your audio?

I'm a long time track vintage Neve but mix SSL 4K hardware guy myself, but I became a track Helios & vintage Neve then mix modern AMS Neve 88 fan in Nebula. Lately I'm surprisingly swinging toward API now after Pink 2 as my taste changes and I want to bend my sound. You see, we will all rate libraries based on different experiences, and there are nothing but top notch libraries from current dev's IMHO.

We have sooooooo many different options I'm not sure what you would like or use. So I can randomly throw out libraries for you to spend cash on but that really will not help you as I know zero about your needs or experiences. I suggest you take the time and really dig into the AYCE and discover what it offers and what catches your ear, then pick up what tools you are are missing from Tim P, Cupwise and Alex B. Again EVERY single library they make is top notch IMHO, but your needs and wants will be different from mine or others, so what should we recommend you?

You can always ignore me and just spend the money on many randomly recommended libraries now and just determine what you need later.......... to each their own.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
We have sooooooo many different options I'm not sure what you would like or use. So I can randomly throw out libraries for you to spend cash on but that really will not help you as I know zero about your needs or experiences.
Quote:
your needs and wants will be different from mine or others, so what should we recommend you?
In the post you are chiding me about, I did explicitly state that I was seeking EQs and reverbs.

Quote:
That depends, are you an SSL 4K, SSL Xlogic, vintage Neve, modern AMS Neve, vintage API, modern API, EMI, MCI, Trident, Helios, Neumann, Harrison, Amek, or Focusrite fan?

I'm a long time track vintage Neve but mix SSL 4K hardware guy myself, but I became a track Helios & vintage Neve then mix modern AMS Neve 88 fan in Nebula. Lately I'm surprisingly swinging toward API now after Pink 2 as my taste changes and I want to bend my sound.
Thanks for your suggestions, but these sound more focussed on consoles/preamps, rather than the reverbs and EQs I said I was looking for.

Quote:
You can always ignore me and just spend the money on many randomly recommended libraries now and just determine what you need later.......... to each their own.
Rather than just read a recommendation and then immediately buy it, I'd intended to go to the website of the recommended library and check out the demos there, to see if it was the sound I'm looking for.
I'd have thought that would have been very obvious.

I'm sorry you've got upset about this, but to reiterate, you've no obligation to reply to my posts.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Yo @Simonator. Asking what the best libraries are (done that myself, btw) is akin visiting a high end coffee shop and asking for the 'best' coffee. It depends on your tastes and needs.

Executive Summary: Listen to @Will The Weirdo :¬)

Longer version: This gentleman offered his own time to educate me on hardware tracking/console/mixing, and if not for him, I'd still be rummaging around it the dark. All of his Nebula (and AA) recommendations are based on experience with the gear in question.

Being a (serious) hobbyist, I mix and produce at the same time, and hence, I opt for CPU efficient algos for production. When it comes to final mixing, I swap them out for AA/N4 where need be. Tim P is a damned EQ/comp genius, and Alex B releases the best console filters. I must admit, due to workload I've not been able to check out the latest commercial N4 libraries, but I hope to do so soon.

Are you looking for a certain sound?

Do you like Neve? API? Smooth or upfront?

Compressing vocals, drums, or the 2bus?
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Asking what the best libraries are (done that myself, btw) is skin visiting to a high end coffee shop and asking for the 'best' coffee. It depends entirely on your tastes and needs.
If you re-read the post, I didn't ask for 'the best'; I asked for 'your favourites'.

If five people told me their favourite reverb, then it would be perfectly easy for me to visit the website, listen to the demos, then decide if I think it would be useful.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Are you looking for a certain sound?

Do you like Neve? API? Smooth or upfront?

Compressing vocals, a drums, or the 2bus?
My studio has hardware compressors, preamps, a nice mixing desk...... As I keep repeating, I was just asking if anyone had any reverbs or eqs that they particularly liked.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you re-read the post, I didn't ask for 'the best'; I asked for 'your favourites'.

If five people told me their favourite reverb, then it would be perfectly easy for me to visit the website, listen to the demos, then decide if I think it would be useful.

My studio has hardware compressors, preamps, a nice mixing desk...... As I keep repeating, I was just asking if anyone had any reverbs or eqs that they particularly liked.
Ah, my apologies, I've not kept up to date with this thread. I'm also quite tipsy at the moment - not the optimal time to visit forums

Check out the Harrison stuff from Alex B. Tim P's updated Neve (1102) library is also standout. Big fan of Silk EQ (TimP) for the high end.

Another recommendation is Balance Mastering's new Magpha EQ. Amazing analogue sounding EQ (transparent), and when combined with a Nebula preamp... heaven.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Excellent, I'll check these out right away. Thanks!
Old 16th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
favourite reverb
Tim Cupwise
Bee X-20 Spring Reverb
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EQs: Red, Amethyst, Sand, Pink, Gold, Amber, Cream, Water, TimP Dualtech, TimP Gyrator, TimP Rstate Model D, AITB Doc Fear, AITB Germanos EQs, CDSM MGQ air band, AlexB MMeQ, AlexB T95

Reverbs: VNXT e140, Timp Solid Spring Reverb, TimP The Grand Room, TimC Super Time Tube

Red and AITB are defunct at the moment, however they were available not long ago. They should be relisted.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Awesome. Many thanks!
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
In the post you are chiding me about, I did explicitly state that I was seeking EQs and reverbs.
Who's chiding you, lol, I'm attempting to give you real world advise about Nebula that seems to be falling on deaf ears, and FWIW I last responded to you asking about "libraries people rated highest", not to specific libraries. Again I would recommend EVERY Tim P, Cupwise, and Alex B library depending on what your needs are, I love them all..... but AFTER you dive into AYCE first.

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions, but these sound more focussed on consoles/preamps, rather than the reverbs and EQs I said I was looking for.
You may not be aware but SSL 4K, SSL Xlogic, vintage Neve, modern AMS Neve, vintage API, modern API, EMI, MCI, Trident, Helios, Neumann, Harrison, Amek, Focusrite all have different EQ's as Nebula libraries, along with preamps and consoles. I recommend them all for you to determine which works best for your audio. Everyone around here has different favorites depending on their style of music they work on and their musical role.

RJ's favorites will be different than mine as he's a mastering guy while I mostly mix and produce, knowing what you do is important too. My favorite EQ's change depending on my task at hand also, so knowing what type of task you need the EQ for is important.

What hardware are you using on your front end? Recommending my favorite dirty EQ's to you when you track Jazz or Classical would be useless to you. So your style of music should be stated to help us help you.

You should also list what kind of verbs you are looking for as we have many in the Nebula world. I have them all but Cupwise latest POL, but I'll pick that up next month as I love Plate verbs myself. All of them get used, even the older STN verbs because he covers the hardware boxes that nobody else does, but most don't recommend them off hand. Most here list Plates and real spaces, but I'm a Pop, RnB, Hip Hop, Electronic guy so box verbs I know extremely well from years of use, many don't have that hardware experience. So while Gene Lenno's TC6000 set is a favorite of mine, if you are looking at real spaces I would not suggest it without knowing you are looking for TC or hardware box verbs.

You obviously don't realize the large number of different libraries Nebula actually has for the full version.

There is a pattern here, more information from you gets you more information from us that will actually be of use to you.

Quote:
Rather than just read a recommendation and then immediately buy it, I'd intended to go to the website of the recommended library and check out the demos there, to see if it was the sound I'm looking for.
I'd have thought that would have been very obvious.
It's NOT obvious as most Nebula libraries have no demo, at best some have some sound examples which are just above useless in real world determination. The new N4 dev's using Aquarius are the first to offer true demo's of libraries, most of us have been buying blind for a decade, lol.

Using any tool in your own studio is the only true way to know if that tool is for you, that's why AA offer 30 day demo's for everything in Aquarius.

Quote:
I'm sorry you've got upset about this, but to reiterate, you've no obligation to reply to my posts.
I'm so far from upset it's comical, I was just attempting to save you a lot of time and money. Best of luck in your Nebula adventure.

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 16th July 2018 at 09:11 PM..
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

EQ's: Ruby, Azure, Bronze, Ebony, Pink2, AlexB 4K Brown & Black, AlexB 9K, AlexB Moog, AlexB 1073, AlexB Mastering EQ, AlexB H32, AlexB 550, Alex B 88RS, Tim P 1102 v2, Tim P Silk, Tim P Surge, HO Air, HO Curve Bender, and STN MCI.

Reverbs: Ebony, Gene Lennon TC6000, Cupwise POL I,II,III, STN L480, STN Deep Sky, STN 6k Halls, STN 3k Rooms, AITB Phonocamptica, & AITB EAR.

Quote:
Synonym Music and I could not list more different lists, but both lists are full of quality programs that fully cover EQ and verbs, we just have different tool needs.

As always, to each their own.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

well ... I ended up buying most every Nebula Library :|

Since I had worked with many of the hardware ... I could justify the 'savings' buying the Libraries, rather than the hardware [hey, She bought the justification ]

The real effort was working, testing, evaluating, learning these Libraries ... but that is my Day [and Nite] Job.

With all that, it is very difficult to recommend what someone may like or need for their work.

For Libraries of equipment that I wasn't familiar with, I did searches for hardware reviews/audio demonstrations.

So much of what Nebula encompasses ... vintage, and or iconic hardware. Their relevance to this day make them a contender for consideration.
For a fraction of the hardware cost, I did not stress about investing.

With the addition of ACQUA, and the Developers ... I do have an 'A-List' that are in heavy rotation. I'm a bit more selective what I purchase today. Yes, there are a few more pieces that I hope come to AA-Land, while the latest releases still grab my credit card ... so every release is considered.

To be fair ... I still have a select few 'Algo' tools in my work that serve specifics ... but Nebula/N4 and ACQUAs have allowed me to stay ITB.
Just amazing what can be done sonically ITB.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
well ... I ended up buying most every Nebula Library :|

Since I had worked with many of the hardware ... I could justify the 'savings' buying the Libraries, rather than the hardware [hey, She bought the justification ]

The real effort was working, testing, evaluating, learning these Libraries ... but that is my Day [and Nite] Job.

With all that, it is very difficult to recommend what someone may like or need for their work.

For Libraries of equipment that I wasn't familiar with, I did searches for hardware reviews/audio demonstrations.

So much of what Nebula encompasses ... vintage, and or iconic hardware. Their relevance to this day make them a contender for consideration.
For a fraction of the hardware cost, I did not stress about investing.

With the addition of ACQUA, and the Developers ... I do have an 'A-List' that are in heavy rotation. I'm a bit more selective what I purchase today. Yes, there are a few more pieces that I hope come to AA-Land, while the latest releases still grab my credit card ... so every release is considered.

To be fair ... I still have a select few 'Algo' tools in my work that serve specifics ... but Nebula/N4 and ACQUAs have allowed me to stay ITB.
Just amazing what can be done sonically ITB.
Wise words RJ.
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Still waiting for support to fix me up with the commercial factory
You should be able install the commercial library through Aquarius
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
You should be able install the commercial library through Aquarius
Thanks.

That worked on the FIRST installation.

After first installation, N4 wasn't working though. Acustica advised me to delete all and reinstall.

The reinstallation has fixed the first problem: N4 now works.... However, when REinstalling, Aquarius will not/does not download the 10gb library data again.
[Even though I removed every trace of Acustica from my system - so it must presumably be being guided by Acustica's servers; not anything that's on my machine]

Yesterday, I got a reply from Acustica, this time telling me to download the library from my account section on their website (I hadn't previously realised this was possible).
I've done that and it came in the form of 11 or so *installers* (ie, not simply the data, but wrapped in an software bundle that must pass through an installation process)...... Unfortunately, (at least on my machine (OS X 10.13)) these installers fail halfway through the installation.

So, now almost a week after the purchase, despite days' of effort trying, I've still not yet got the thing working.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search