The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 2nd May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Martel80, I just tried setups for the first time in N4. I made a library for AITB Doc Fear (~10 different EQ band options), and it's very convenient that it appears as its own plugin, and then loads FAST. I mean, it loads instantly.

I'll say that I'm kicking myself for not trying this option before. Loading libraries the old way by loading N4 and then browsing and selecting was a pretty slow process. With setups, it's instantaneous, and I can create custom libraries (e.g., I can create a Surge library that I can just select like any other plugin and it'll load right away). I'm really liking setups.
Waow....

Okay....

I'll have to try it tonight to see if I can do it easily.

Thanks for sharing @rosewood123
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Waow....

Okay....

I'll have to try it tonight to see if I can do it easily.

Thanks for sharing @rosewood123
Cool, no problem. It's pretty straightforward, but let me know if you run into issues and need assistance along the way.
Old 3rd May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Cool, no problem. It's pretty straightforward, but let me know if you run into issues and need assistance along the way.
All right, So here's my report.

Yesterday I've imported N4 on a track.

-Loaded a library.
-clicked setup
- A window opened and I chose the skin, the library setting and gave it a name.

When I restarted Studio One, The new ''plugin'' was listed under Acustica Audio right under N4.

Dragged and dropped it on a track but a blank N4 appeared with nothing on it....no skin, no library loaded.

can anyone guide me through the process of creating, saving and loading a Setup ?

Thanks

EDIT: Found it.

I had to open finder.

Select my program.

Open Setup

Select the library setting that I wanted to load on that Setup and put as default.

Save

Got it now.

Im golden now, thanks 'urbody !

Last edited by Martel80; 3rd May 2018 at 10:30 AM..
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali.bre View Post
Although N4 does feel more stable the difference in sound from N3 to N4 is only marginal, in my experience. Wouldn't be the sole reason to upgrade...
I'm all N4 now after about 8 years and 130 Setups on N3. IMHO the advantages of N4 are......

1. Cleaner sound, especially when chaining 5-10 N4's in a row the sound is a bit more open.
2. Improved workflow, N4 is just better thought out IMHO. The different N4 Skins are another small but important workflow improvement for me.
3. Setups, presets, and parameter editing are now built into N4. No need to dik around with different programs or menu's any more.
4. UPDATES via Aquarius. In the past we had to manually update N3, and most of the updates were not available to all. I was shocked once joining the beta team as N3 was updated almost weekly, but not to the public. As of now N4 is current via Aquarius for everyone.
5. Forward compatibility, N3 is the past and as AA keeps moving forward and improving the cores I need my DAW as current as possible.

These things may or may not be worth the upgrade, we each must decide for ourselves, and there is no wrong choice. I gotta say with AA releasing N4 Player for free, a N3/N4 Player combo makes it tough to fork over the cash for N4.

As always to each their own.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Guru

All 5 points appeal, no doubt, especially 1. But like you say, running N3 + N4player is a strong option too. Only, then I would miss out on point 1, which considering I want nebula for the SOUND is annoying.

GC said 'they are working on an upgrade option' at the minute, so let's hope it isn't 10 quid off full price but a little kinder, in which case just going full N4 and calling it a day makes a lot of sense. Not much to win by keeping the upgrade expensive as lots of us will just hang onto N3 and use the free N4player then = no money taken for any upgrades at ALL, plus lingering negatives in the vibe. Here's to hoping it will all come good.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
All 5 points appeal, no doubt, especially 1. But like you say, running N3 + N4player is a strong option too. Only, then I would miss out on point 1, which considering I want nebula for the SOUND is annoying.
It's hard to imagine AA not making it more attractive for N4 after releasing N4 Player...... my bet would be G has something up his sleeve long term, but that is just a guess.

Quote:
GC said 'they are working on an upgrade option' at the minute, so let's hope it isn't 10 quid off full price but a little kinder, in which case just going full N4 and calling it a day makes a lot of sense. Not much to win by keeping the upgrade expensive as lots of us will just hang onto N3 and use the free N4player then = no money taken for any upgrades at ALL, plus lingering negatives in the vibe. Here's to hoping it will all come good.
It's in AA's best interest if everyone is on N4 IMHO, so I could see a workable compromise at some point.
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Nut

Hey guys, this week was the Cream week. Next week we will look at the N4 situation. I have not forgotten what some said here. At AES Milan the direction we are going into will be made much clearer.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

The few tests I’ve done when N4 came out showed a perfect null between N3 Server and N4. Has something changed with the N4 engine?
Old 6th May 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Tim's Pultec is the closest to a real sounding Pultec IMHO, it's got that darker Pultec tone and is a great EQ.
Hi Will. Which of the 2 units sampled do you prefer? U1 or U2?

Thank you
Old 6th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
Hi Will. Which of the 2 units sampled do you prefer? U1 or U2?

Thank you
Flip a quarter, I use them both.
Old 7th May 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Flip a quarter, I use them both.
Haha, ok! I just got it, just exploring it.
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Nut

Hey guys, we are listening! We looked at the situation with Nebula 3/Nebula 3 Pro/Nebula 3 Server owners we are going to temporarily provide an upgrade path to N4 with a 40% discount from the list price (this in fact is the second time an upgrade from N3 to N4 is offered - the first case was more than an year ago when N4 first came out. Frankly, I don't know if there will be a third time - possibly not! Also please keep in mind that this offer will expire on the 8th of August!

All Nebula 3/Nebula 3 Pro/Nebula 3 Server should receive an email with more details and unique upgrade coupon that can be used at checkout. One thing to note is that if you chose to use this upgrade discount, you will not be able to sell your N3 license. The emailing may take some time, so please allow at least 2 days from this announcement to receive the email. If you don't see such in your inbox, please first check your spam folder. If you still can't see any emails, please open a sale ticket from our website.

I hope this makes the transition from N3 to N4 more reasonable for existing N3 owners. I am happy to hear any feedback you may have.
Old 9th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acustica Press View Post
Hey guys, we are listening! We looked at the situation with Nebula 3/Nebula 3 Pro/Nebula 3 Server owners we are going to temporarily provide an upgrade path to N4 with a 40% discount from the list price (this in fact is the second time an upgrade from N3 to N4 is offered - the first case was more than an year ago when N4 first came out. Frankly, I don't know if there will be a third time - possibly not! Also please keep in mind that this offer will expire on the 8th of August!

All Nebula 3/Nebula 3 Pro/Nebula 3 Server should receive an email with more details and unique upgrade coupon that can be used at checkout. One thing to note is that if you chose to use this upgrade discount, you will not be able to sell your N3 license. The emailing may take some time, so please allow at least 2 days from this announcement to receive the email. If you don't see such in your inbox, please first check your spam folder. If you still can't see any emails, please open a sale ticket from our website.

I hope this makes the transition from N3 to N4 more reasonable for existing N3 owners. I am happy to hear any feedback you may have.
And what about those of us who were the early adopters who didn't get a discount and were told there would be no discount because N4 was a "new product"?!
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Guru

Sorry, but 300 euros minus 40% isn't attractive from here for what's on the table. Hey ho, never mind.
Old 9th May 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

The time limited upgrade offer is IMHO ridiculous and the discount is not really the most attractive.

FWIW I already purchased N4, I'm just stating my honest opinion.
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah, kinda weak. And only for a limited time, might not happen again? I really don't care for these hard sell tactics... SMH
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

AA, hard sell tactics? LOL

If you know anything about G and his vision of AA, it's that he's ok with those that are going with him on it, and he's just as ok with those that are not going.... he's not a salesman and has zero hard sell in him, lol. At this point he's giving N4 Player away for free, thus allowing a real choice for N3 users to choose from, and free is the exact opposite from hard sell.

So it's a simple decision, take the 40% off N4 or just use the free N4 Player, it's a win win IMHO.

Old 10th May 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

And that's exactly why this time limited offer appears like a rather odd idea.
Old 10th May 2018
Gear Nut

Hey guys, give me a little more time to come back to you. Hopefully tomorrow I'll manage to reply in detail to all questions. Cheers
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
AA, hard sell tactics? LOL
Hi, Will. Respectfully, this is what I meant regarding Acustica Press' comments above:

"A hard sell is designed to get a consumer to purchase a good or service in the short-term, rather than evaluate his or her options and potentially decide to wait on the purchase. It is considered a high-pressure, aggressive technique that has fallen out of favor according to some sales experts."

Hard Sell

The shoe fits, IMO.
Old 11th May 2018
Lives for gear

Maybe some buyers .... need adult supervision.
Old 11th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Maybe some buyers .... need adult supervision.
Maybe some people... are just pompous.
Old 11th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
"A hard sell is designed to get a consumer to purchase a good or service in the short-term, rather than evaluate his or her options and potentially decide to wait on the purchase.
I disagree 100%, N4 was released 17 months ago and had a few months of discount, back then you might qualify it as a hard sell. But today, 17 months after it's release AA again offer a limited time discount on N4, while at the same time offering a free N4 Player for people to choose from, clearly disqualifies this as a hard sell. Today it's logically more like a limited time discount sale, lol.

Old 11th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
Maybe some people... are just pompous.
Yea ... maybe they are. Take responsibility.
Old 11th May 2018
Lives for gear
This thread is such a roller coaster of praise and trolling.
Old 11th May 2018
Gear Maniac
Four months doesn't seem like short term to me, I'd say that is a pretty long time to consider your options.
Old 11th May 2018
Gear Head

I d like to hear the hard sell.
Whats the point of buying N4?
Old 11th May 2018
Gear Nut

Hey guys,

Please find some answers below.

Quote:
Sorry, but 300 euros minus 40% isn't attractive from here for what's on the table. Hey ho, never mind.
And this is perfectly fine - I get your point. You have both the free N4P and the now freeware old standalone version of Setups to support this system. However, at the bottom of this post I will outline some differences and directions, which are worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
The time limited upgrade offer is IMHO ridiculous and the discount is not really the most attractive.
FWIW I already purchased N4, I'm just stating my honest opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Yeah, kinda weak. And only for a limited time, might not happen again? I really don't care for these hard sell tactics... SMH
Well, the list price is €299, the discount brings it to €179.4, that's €119.6 off. So really, what you are saying is that:

a) €179.4 is not worth for what you get in return - I'll try to answer to this at the bottom of the post. And again, consider the free N4P and the old N3 Setups being made a freeware now as the opposite of us pushing you to crossgrade. And

b) as to the offer being time limited, the reason is this... This offer was not planned at all. Right at the start when we released N4 there was an even better cross-grade plan and many got it for around €100. Yes, at the time N4 had far less features than now.

But as I saw complaints both here and on our Facebook group I requested such offer from management and they approved it. But we use coupons and to my knowledge all of our coupons expire after time. It is not that we cannot do this again, but considering that N3 was released in 2007, we simply think that it is fair to move on. A lot of companies do it - you get charged when you go from version A to version B of a software. I really think that we are one of the few companies to offer free upgrades in almost all cases - think Pink1 to Pink2 or Ivory2 to Ivory3 transition. Were these not huge and absolutely free updates? A lot of companies will most certainly charge you for such upgrades. In fact, I may be missing something, but I am not even sure if there were ANY other paid upgrades? To my knowledge, N3 to N4 is the first crossgrade we ask money for in a very long time. But again, N3 is a 2007 thing and we really put a lot of time in N4 and this will continue to happen (see below).

But also, according my information, at AES Milan there will be news revealed, which will show the company's direction. And by August we should hopefully have some extra features in N4, which may make you reconsider (or not). So there actually is enough time to get more info and take decisions according to what you think is the best for you without rushing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
And what about those of us who were the early adopters who didn't get a discount and were told there would be no discount because N4 was a "new product"?!
Yes, I understand this is the main group of people who actually have the strongest argument here. Honestly you are the person I fear the most what to reply to as I can see the situation you are into. Unfortunately we cannot make this offer retroactively - I asked twice!

I am sorry that you missed the initial cross-grade period and I understand that the slightly lower price until recently with only €30 less doesn't really make any difference.

So below I will outline some differences between N3 and N4, and some directions, which hopefully will give you comfort that we value you as customers and that getting N4 was a good decision. We are and we will continue working on N4. It is gradually becoming a center piece for everything we do in combo with Aquarius.

If you want me to pass back some feedback, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moge View Post
I d like to hear the hard sell.
Whats the point of buying N4?
OK, I have asked myself the same question before you did. First is a list of differences I could find when comparing myself the two products.
1) Server support - in development, more info to follow, wait for AES Milan. Support asked me to not even mention it, so please allow for some time to tell you more about it. I am mentioning it as it is listed on our website and I already spoke vaguely about it here + GC isn't fully secretive, especially on his personal Instagram.

2) Presets system - you can save exact settings for Nebula or Acqua libraries. So for example you can have you can have your go-to vocal comp saved for one click recall with specific ratio, attack, release, etc. There are possible extra features being considered here.

3) 3 extra compressors - see pics attached - Rose (opto & FET options, hand-built by SoundDrops for AA to sample it - same guy that just released the Mantis library, built Scarlet/Emerald, A section in Cream, etc.), YROY (with a ton of comp emulations - see pic), Violet (inspired by a mastering British made vacuum tube comp, which a lot people requested as an Acqua already)

BTW, you also get Rose and Violet Aquas standalone plug-ins together with N4!

4) N4 comes with its own library - CPCL v5 in N4 vs CPCL v4 in N3. I still need to dig into the differences as the lists I have been given are just huge. A lot of programs seem to be the same, but here you can find a folder with documents that list the programs included in both. And also in N4 this library can be installed though Aquarius.

Box

CPCL5 is around 11GB in total - see pic attached below. You can trial with N4P via Aquarius install/uninstall and see if it is worth it in your own opinion and if there are any significant differences (I'll try to gather more info).

5) Nebula Setups in N4 - as opposed to the now freeware standalone version for N3, this one is integrated in N4, will see future updates and can do also Acqua Libraries for N4 setups - it is fully compatible with N4.

I think what it does or does not was already discussed in enough detail in this thread recently, so I will skip that.
Then I asked the guys in the Lodi office what differences they see other than those I found and listed above. Mind you, I did not ask them 'What to say on GS?' or 'How to convince the guys on GS?', I asked, 'Why do you think makes N4 worth it and what sets it apart from N3?'
6) From support/management:

Officially N3 a legacy product and we can not ensure it will work in next operating systems from Apple and Microsoft. It is not for sale any more. Official support will most probably be dropped fully towards the end of the year. (This is not to say that it will certainly not work in the next OS - we simply don't know what Apple and Microsoft have on their minds and we cannot support forever a product released 11 years ago).

We will add more features to N4 but we cannot announce these now as we can not ensure the exact release date/time-frame.

Libraries for N4 are certificated and will not crash N4 like old 3rd party did with Nebula3 due to illegal tags. (Of course some of the old 3rd party developers made fantastic and stable libraries! I myself use TimP's stuff a lot and as a developer I have learnt a lot from him!)

7) From GC:

N3 - Today if you want to get a new authorization you have to wait several days. Why? A part of N4 development (huge and leading to a lot of bugs) was about migrating to the new Acqua protection system, because the old system was based exclusively on Windows servers. Acquas now run on a N4 engine, not a N3 engine. So we moved all these products to the new system. The old N3 system is now supported only manually. It is an ancient system based on the crypting of initialization files, and we cannot support at all this system in Aquarius.

Don't compare N4 to N4 Player - you cannot edit programs - you can't change anything, even simple things as the number of harmonics of a program (KERN). Yes you can do in Nebula3, but Nebula3 is not on sale any more, and it is an ancient tech, full of bugs, which cannot load any of the new Aquarius libraries that will be coming out. N4 does and will allow for various tweaks to those who want to do so.
I hope this puts things into perspective. This being said, I do not dictate sales of product policies and I am not trying to push you into N4. I am here to communicate what the company does and can return back any feedback from you in a synthesized, briefer and clear way.

Any feedback is welcome.

Best wishes
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-cross-platform-comercial-library-5.png   Nebula must have-n4-yroy-programs.jpg   Nebula must have-rose-n4-fet-opto.jpg   Nebula must have-violet.jpg  
Old 11th May 2018
Lives for gear

Just posting here this as I get a lot of criticism around for saying positive things about AA's products, while being affiliated with the company. Yes, I am a huge fan of the tech - I don't hide it! Call me a fanboy - I don't mind it.

But this is the reason why little by little I started working with these guys, and not the other way around!

In my defense, here is a link to the website of Eric Beam (STN) - long time 3rd party Nebula developer. In the comments you can see me saying this (see pic attached or check link MCI Heritage EQ “I like it dirty” – signaltonoize.com). I made this statement in 2012 when I first got N3 and discovered what the tech does and how it sounds like. At the time I didn't know GC and I had absolutely no affiliation with AA - I was simply a happy and honest customer! Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-comment-stns-site.jpg  
Old 11th May 2018
Lives for gear

If I had bought Nebula in the last two years or so the upgrade pricing might make me feel a little salty. But as it is I’ve been using Nebula since 2009 or 10 and they’ve gotten my money only twice in all that time: the initial Pro purchase and the eventual upgrade to Server. For a product I depend on so much I’m ready to give them some more money. What I’m not ready for is to take my utterly stable and happy N3 System and replace it with ‘the bad old days’ when development was so rapid...but the 40% coupon pretty much guarantees I’ll update my license, seems like a good deal to me.

As for people who could have upgraded had the upgrade been available (but were told it never would be) they should be taken care of. I get the impression that Acustica Press gets that but has been unable to convince anyone else at HQ. I’m sure there’s some highly technical mumbo jumbo on the backend and it doesn’t matter at all, whatever cost (in man hours or whatever) you should ensure you don’t screw over your early adopters, that seems so basic it’s weird to have to explain it to a business.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search