The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 18th April 2018
  #3481
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
And whats the difference between Mantis and Bronze?

Because on Aquarius they are in different categories.
Yes ... and this caused issue for me when we started testing.

I think that BRONZE was possibly considered as a dual format [N4/ACQUA].

However ... N4 was rapidly developing the ability to host an Acqua-type design [something that was discussed in beta as a 'future wish']. I think the 'breakthrough' happened much quicker than thought possible. Maybe this influenced the decision to release Bronze as a N4 release.

note: This is only my speculation ... and am NOT implying anything one way or the other.

MANTIS was released as a N4 product. Stedal told me He made the decision to place it in the DYN category as a means of product definition/organization [it is a Compressor] ... and a mighty fine one at that !

hope this helps
Old 18th April 2018
  #3482
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
It's not on the same section as Bronze. It's a bit below, under Nebula libraries, not Acqua Libraries. (Btw, why? I thought it was an Acqua Librarie)

And I guess you need to "purchase" the trial on the website before.
I see it now. Could've been because I since "purchased" the trial on the site after posting here ... or maybe I just overlooked it before. In any case, it's there in Aquarius now. Thanks.
Old 18th April 2018
  #3483
Gear Head
 
DiBiQuadro Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Yes ... and this caused issue for me when we started testing.

I think that BRONZE was possibly considered as a dual format [N4/ACQUA].

However ... N4 was rapidly developing the ability to host an Acqua-type design [something that was discussed in beta as a 'future wish']. I think the 'breakthrough' happened much quicker than thought possible. Maybe this influenced the decision to release Bronze as a N4 release.

note: This is only my speculation ... and am NOT implying anything one way or the other.

MANTIS was released as a N4 product. Stedal told me He made the decision to place it in the DYN category as a means of product definition/organization [it is a Compressor] ... and a mighty fine one at that !

hope this helps
Bronze is a multiload library (more than one instance - 1 preamp section, 4 bands - can be activated at the same time), as said by Giancarlo some posts ago. This required some specific development. That's the reason why Bronze is categorized as an Acqua Library - it can run under N4P or N4 (not standalone).

Hope Stedal can give us more details here about how Mantis is structured.

Complimenti Stefano!
Old 18th April 2018
  #3484
Gear Nut
 

Hey guys, just so the definition is clear - an Aqua library hosts more than one N4 instance under the GUI. A Nebula library only one.

As Mantis consists of a compressor module only (one instance) it is a Nebula library. As Bronze is 5 instances (4 x bands + preamp) in one library, it is an Aqua library.

I guess you could think of a Nebula library as a note on the piano, and an Aqua library as a chord.

The difference between an Aqua plug-in effect and an Aqua library is that the first runs as a standalone plug-in and it doesn't need N4 or N4P when compared to the latter.
Old 18th April 2018
  #3485
Gear Nut
 
PhelixK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acustica Press View Post
Hey guys, just so the definition is clear - an Aqua library hosts more than one N4 instance under the GUI. A Nebula library only one.
I'm almost afraid to ask, but, as we will soon be able to create 'real Acquas from Nebula libraries', will N4 libraries then also be able to contain multi functionality, or how should we enterpret the definition of a 'real Acqua' versus an Acqua Plug-in Effect?

In reference to this message from G: Nebula must have

??
Old 18th April 2018
  #3486
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
I'm almost afraid to ask, but, as we will soon be able to create 'real Acquas from Nebula libraries', will N4 libraries then also be able to contain multi functionality, or how should we enterpret the definition of a 'real Acqua' versus an Acqua Plug-in Effect?

In reference to this message from G: Nebula must have

??
He answered that question 3 posts later didn't he?
Old 18th April 2018
  #3487
Gear Nut
 
PhelixK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
He answered that question 3 posts later didn't he?
Whether it is possible to create Acquas by users or developers isn't relevant to my question.

My question is about the definition of the Acqua categories. If for example SoundDrops wants to generate a single Acqua plug-in with a selector-button from the two existing types of Mantis comp, it will result in a multi-functional Nebula library, but as an Acqua Effect plug-in, just like other products in the stand-alone Acqua series, which in practical terms would be same as an multi-functional N4 Acqua Program library. No?
Old 18th April 2018
  #3488
Gear Nut
 

Frankly, I am unsure. I should get more info from Zaphod, but as you know he asked everyone (incl. myself) to send him messages only if there is no way to avoid it (as he is fully preoccupied with working on Modula).

But the only difference between and Aqua library and an Aqua plug-in is that the first one needs either N4 or N4P to work. And this has nothing to do with functionality.

I'll keep you updated and post here as soon I know more - and sorry for the vague answer!
Old 22nd April 2018
  #3489
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
It's one smooth bus comp IMHO.

I am completely new to using Nebula other than demoing gold a while back with the n4 demo.

I have the n4 player installed and have demos of both Mantis and Bronze. Mantis is fantastic, I think I'm going to pick it up as I've been looking for a bus comp that I really click with and this did it.

I've read the last few pages on here and while there is the post about the differences about n4 player and the full n4 I have a question...

I'm really interested in trying/buying some of the tim p and cupwise libraries, I became aware of them a while ago and have been keen to see what they're like. As I understand it, at the moment the 3rd party libraries are only usable in n4 full and n3, not n4 player, is that right? These new aquas like Mantis are going to be fully operational in the n4 player though..

So if I am wanting to use tim p or cupwise libraries, the only way to currently do that is get a license of n4?

Or, as the n4 player is new, is it possible that 3rd parties such as tim and cupwise may make their stuff available on the n4 player? I'm not too familiar with Nebulas history or what and what isn't possible.

Cheers.
Old 22nd April 2018
  #3490
Lives for gear
 

On a separate note - I downloaded the free Charly Summing Amp from Prime Studio, I have moved all the files to the correct places and it does show up in the N4 Player, but it says it needs authorising yet there's no way to authorise it + the readme says there's no need to authorise it. Could someone with more Nebula experience let me know if there's something I'm missing or it says it needs authorising because it's with the new player perhaps?
Old 22nd April 2018
  #3491
Lives for gear
 
stella645's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
As I understand it, at the moment the 3rd party libraries are only usable in n4 full and n3, not n4 player, is that right? These new aquas like Mantis are going to be fully operational in the n4 player though..

So if I am wanting to use tim p or cupwise libraries, the only way to currently do that is get a license of n4?

Cheers.
yep....you cannot use these libraries without paid version. It's not currently looking like TimP will port to N4 libraries. If he did he would need to set price with Acustica and pay a license which would mean his prices would drastically increase


Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
On a separate note - I downloaded the free Charly Summing Amp from Prime Studio, I have moved all the files to the correct places and it does show up in the N4 Player, but .......
It's not actually a Nebula library, it's an Aqua plugin. open the standalone version.
Old 24th April 2018
  #3492
Lives for gear
 

Wow, another Acqua Library for N4 has been released.

Tokyo by London Acoustics.

The website looks very good and organized, as the manual too.

TOKYO TUBE EQ - London Acoustics

Bronze, Mantis and Tokyo. This new Nebula libraries are looking promising.
Old 24th April 2018
  #3493
Gear Nut
 
PhelixK's Avatar
 

Yeah, gonna be interesting!!
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-tokyo-tube-eq.jpg  
Old 24th April 2018
  #3494
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Wow, another Acqua Library for N4 has been released.

Tokyo by London Acoustics.

The website looks very good and organized, as the manual too.

TOKYO TUBE EQ - London Acoustics

Bronze, Mantis and Tokyo. This new Nebula libraries are looking promising.
Thanks for always posting these releases. I would definitely miss them.
Old 25th April 2018
  #3495
Lives for gear
 
javahut's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Wow, another Acqua Library for N4 has been released.

Tokyo by London Acoustics.

The website looks very good and organized, as the manual too.

TOKYO TUBE EQ - London Acoustics

Bronze, Mantis and Tokyo. This new Nebula libraries are looking promising.
Anyone know exactly what the hardware is that the Tokyo Tube EQ library is based on?

Thanks.
Old 25th April 2018
  #3496
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Wow, another Acqua Library for N4 has been released.

Tokyo by London Acoustics.

The website looks very good and organized, as the manual too.

TOKYO TUBE EQ - London Acoustics

Bronze, Mantis and Tokyo. This new Nebula libraries are looking promising.
Blown away by mantis and have been enjoying the bronze demo. Will try this out as well.

For someone that hasn't used nebula much at all these are great and very user friendly.

This should definitely be posted in the new products section!

Edit: I won't get to try it for a week or so, if you have - how is it sound wise and on the cpu, is it low like Mantis or higher like bronze?

Last edited by Eklo; 25th April 2018 at 01:47 AM..
Old 25th April 2018
  #3497
Lives for gear
 

Does anyone know how I might set the threshold to -.3, -.4, or -.5 dB in TimP's Blu Mu limiter? I'm trying to see if it'll work like a digital limiter.
@Eklo I haven't been able to really test the cpu yet for the Tokyo Tube EQ, but it's running really well for me with a few instances. The preamp sounds great to me, the lows are really nice, and I'm finding the parametric mid scoop to be really useful. So far, boosting and cutting has all sounded really nice in my short time with it.
Old 25th April 2018
  #3498
Lives for gear
 

These new third party Aqua plugins are blowing my socks off. They're so good and not a pain to use in the slightest. Mantis and Bronze sound incredibly good, I might have to get both. My only concern is there's going to be a few of these new ones dropping around the release of the n4 player and it will be tempting to drop quite a lot on these!!

I did get to my computer briefly this eve, didn't think I'd be able to this week and I tried the Tokyo tube, it is indeed lovely and it is very reasonable on my cpu. When your getting this sound, in what feels just like a normal plugin AND it's optimised... really feels like the future to me; as a new aqua user I'm really loving these.
Old 25th April 2018
  #3499
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Wow, another Acqua Library for N4 has been released.

Tokyo by London Acoustics.

The website looks very good and organized, as the manual too.

TOKYO TUBE EQ - London Acoustics

Bronze, Mantis and Tokyo. This new Nebula libraries are looking promising.
Blown away by mantis and have been enjoying the bronze demo. Will try this out as well.

For someone that hasn't used nebula much at all these are great and very user friendly.

This should definitely be posted in the new products section!

Edit: I won't get to try it for a week or so, if you have - how is it sound wise and on the cpu, is it low like Mantis or higher like bronze?
Tokyo is a very natural musical and warm sounding eq. Those are the overall themes of each band. In comparison to Bronze which sits over the music like a face mask (not a bad thing), Tokyo blends with the audio like face cream. It's not particularly soft but actually a pretty tight sounding eq and you can get fairly surgical with it too. The low and low mid is what caught my attention first. Kind of glues the spectrum in that area where Bronze provides depth. With pre engaged it's more of a mixing tool than mastering imo. If you've ever heard the Adesigns Hammer or used the plugin, it's more in that direction than Magenta or Cobalt which are uber smooth, bold and biggerizers. The most striking thing is it can take a less than stellar recording and make it sound completely rejuvenated like it was recorded that way. Vocals in particular. Very very very good value.

Going to be interesting to see if the market is affected in any way by the pricing and N4 player model. I personally think it won't but why would I or anyone continue to pay 100$ + for alike mixing tools from the competitors. The pricing of Bronze, Tokyo and Mantis are perfectly fair imo.
Old 25th April 2018
  #3500
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Anyone know exactly what the hardware is that the Tokyo Tube EQ library is based on?

Thanks.
Nope, I'm stumped. I was middle school in the 90s when apparently this eq was in production lol.
Old 25th April 2018
  #3501
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
The most striking thing is it can take a less than stellar recording and make it sound completely rejuvenated like it was recorded that way. Vocals in particular. Very very very good value.
.
Sounds like what you are saying is also akin to Azure which I have and totally agree with. A GS classic from Mr. Ray:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
It sounds less like an eq, and more like you were able to go back in time and mic everything better.
will have to demo
Old 25th April 2018
  #3502
Lives for gear
 

I think Nik from AcusticaPress is the one behind Tokyo and London Acoustics.

Will be nice if he could tell us more about the hardware and where he thinks it shines.

I didn't have time to test it, but look forward to do it.
Old 25th April 2018
  #3503
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeete View Post
Sounds like what you are saying is also akin to Azure which I have and totally agree with. A GS classic from Mr. Ray:

will have to demo
Tokyo is more apparent than Azure as in more color. Azure is more transparent and literally is like choosing a new mic and instant woah with just the preamp. Tokyo is a like a good nip and tuck without the evidence but requires some work done. Azure is soft and clear and bigger, Tokyo is warm, natural, and slightly present.
Old 25th April 2018
  #3504
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
Tokyo is a very natural musical and warm sounding eq. Those are the overall themes of each band [...] Tokyo blends with the audio like face cream. It's not particularly soft but actually a pretty tight sounding eq and you can get fairly surgical with it too. The low and low mid is what caught my attention first. Kind of glues the spectrum in that area where Bronze provides depth [...] The most striking thing is it can take a less than stellar recording and make it sound completely rejuvenated like it was recorded that way. Vocals in particular. Very very very good value.
I agree, especially on that last part about rejuvenating recordings. I'm a big fan of the preamp. So far, the EQ is pairing very well with Azure. Whereas Azure seems to be smooth, big, soft, and broad in the low end, Tokyo brings some tightness to the lows. It's a good option for the lows on a mix, and brings some tightness almost like Silk, but leans more toward a natural sound. This is what I'm finding so far, at least. Once my trial is up, I'm going to have to buy it for its rejuvenating, natural and warm box tone alone, and then the warm, musical, useful EQ curves.
Old 26th April 2018
  #3505
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Anyone know exactly what the hardware is that the Tokyo Tube EQ library is based on?

Thanks.
It should be a SR Technology SP-01
Old 26th April 2018
  #3506
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I agree, especially on that last part about rejuvenating recordings. I'm a big fan of the preamp. So far, the EQ is pairing very well with Azure. Whereas Azure seems to be smooth, big, soft, and broad in the low end, Tokyo brings some tightness to the lows. It's a good option for the lows on a mix, and brings some tightness almost like Silk, but leans more toward a natural sound. This is what I'm finding so far, at least. Once my trial is up, I'm going to have to buy it for its rejuvenating, natural and warm box tone alone, and then the warm, musical, useful EQ curves.
I feel the same way about Tokyo, it sounds really, really good. I'm going to pick up both Mantis and Tokyo. I can run many instances of them as well which is a bonus.

I do love the sound of bronze but I'd only use it as a finalising eq, which would be very nice to have as it does some lovely things to the soundstage but more of these libraries are on the way and I don't want to end up with lots of eq licenses that can't be sold, one or two is fine for me. Still, would be nice to have...
Old 26th April 2018
  #3507
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I think Nik from AcusticaPress is the one behind Tokyo and London Acoustics.

Will be nice if he could tell us more about the hardware and where he thinks it shines.

I didn't have time to test it, but look forward to do it.
Hey, no, this is not me! I know that the name makes it look like, but it is these guys actually who are behind it:
TOKYO TUBE EQ - London Acoustics
Old 26th April 2018
  #3508
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acustica Press View Post
Hey, no, this is not me! I know that the name makes it look like, but it is these guys actually who are behind it:
TOKYO TUBE EQ - London Acoustics
Oh, I really thought it was you.

But you are going to release libraries, won't you?
Old 28th April 2018
  #3509
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBurattin View Post
It should be a SR Technology SP-01
Hmm must be very rare. I cant find info on it anywhere.
Old 29th April 2018
  #3510
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
Hmm must be very rare. I cant find info on it anywhere.
I googled it and got a bunch of info about a gun with a similar name, and no info about audio hardware.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
quincyg / Music Computers
754
Dom & Roland / The Moan Zone
10
marshallplexi / Music Computers
6
fingerbeats / Music Computers
10
Patric Noonan / So much gear, so little time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump