The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
See my response on AA forum.

Others may offer suggestions ... but system details are need.
Support Ticket system is your friend ... they've hired more help at AA.
Thanks yes, I just saw your reply on AA forum. OK yes I appreciate that there is more to this than I first though and more detail is required.

Its certainly good to hear that there may be a bit more help on hand via the ticket system.
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post
looks like your nebula is tryig to convert to 48k you can contact me through the site then I can go through settings with you. It could be as simple as ticking a box in project settings (ALT+ENTER,project sample rate box) within reapers settings drop down menu.... Note you'll have to reload with a fresh nebula after any of these configrations.
Hi Tim,

Thank you for the reply and offer to help. I have sent a message via your website this morning, hopefully you have received this.

I will re-check all Reaper project settings once I am home and re-load the nebula instances. I did try this last night but maybe I missed something.
Old 10th April 2018
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeorge View Post
Its api 5500
How does it compare to Pink 2 EQ C?

Anyone tried Pink 2 EQ C ?
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post

I haven't tried them side by side, and I haven't used the recent update to Pink2, but Alex B's version still stands out. It's one of my favorite from his lineup.
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I didn't demo yet I use the cm pink and alex b its more hw like dimensional tight but pink its lot more then just eq
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I didn't demo yet I use the cm pink and alex b its more hw like dimensional tight but pink its lot more then just eq.Alex b have frankenstein converters he have deep knowledge about hardware he constantly repair it.He knows what to listen for.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac

The development re Nebula 4 is really yet another slap in the face of loyal Nebula customers. Can't believe they're pulling this off, and nobody's protesting either.

I've had N4 since it came out 1 1/2 years or so ago, after being an N3 owner for 5 or so years.
Months after purchasing N4 I really started regretting buying it. It literally brought nothing new on the table.
AFAIK there are only 3 active Nebula lib developers anyway, and all of their libraries also still work in N3.

So instead of giving me a reason to use N4, or to at least not regret buying it, Acustica decide to make it free for everyone?

I *do* understand that only the paid version loads 3rd party libraries. But guess what, my old Nebula 3 loads them too.

I might as well just use N3 and the free N4 player.
The money spent on N4 (not a cheap product either) was absolutely thrown out of the window.

What a joke.

This is only on top of having the buggiest products (I mean, just look at the threads here) and the worst customer service (I've had 3 issues so far, and it always took way over a week to hear back from them).
Acustica are dead for me as a company.

Anyone want to buy my N4?
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Isn’t it possible to load all bands in a Tim.p/Alex/Cupwise Eq inside one GUI in N4?

That was my reason for considering an update..

There was no update though
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone had the opportunity to compare L-BUS to Sonimus Tuco..? I'd like to be sure L-BUS really Tops it before pulling the trigger..
No L-BUS demo unfortunately...
Thanks
Old 11th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Anyone had the opportunity to compare L-BUS to Sonimus Tuco..? I'd like to be sure L-BUS really Tops it before pulling the trigger..
Thanks
First time I hear about TuCo but base on their website, they state its based on a Vari-Mu design.

Not that it make any difference in the digital domain but hey....

As for the L-Buss, I was a skeptic like you until last week.

I tried it and it made my Gyraf clone obsolete. ( not that the gyraf was any good to start off with but again....)

The tone is pretty cool and the glue is certain.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
First time I hear about TuCo but base on their website, they state its based on a Vari-Mu design.

Not that it make any difference in the digital domain but hey....

As for the L-Buss, I was a skeptic like you until last week.

I tried it and it made my Gyraf clone obsolete. ( not that the gyraf was any good to start off with but again....)

The tone is pretty cool and the glue is certain.
Hey thanks Martel80 for taking the time to respond,
I have a lot of SSL clone at my disposal and indeed Tuco is a Vari-Mu inspired clone.. 80% of the time it glues unbelievably well my mixBus and tonely speaking it has a lovely Drive knob that i don't use very often but which is really good.
How far could i resist to buy L-BUS to be able to try it.. Gotta check my bank account again..
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Thanks
Tim's L-Buss is amazing. I have a SSL compressor here in the hardware rack and the L-Buss sounds just like it, to the extent that 9 times out of ten i use L-Buss. I only really use the hardware now if i'm doing a complex patch involving other outboards and printing to tape or back in to the computer from analogue for other reasons, such as the original source being an analogue one.................

Tim's work is stellar, and all his compressors and eqs are worth a look.
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Maniac
N4 update today
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-ss.jpg  
Old 11th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffo View Post
Isn’t it possible to load all bands in a Tim.p/Alex/Cupwise Eq inside one GUI in N4?

That was my reason for considering an update..

There was no update though

Yeah this is what we all believed was the huge draw for N4 but we've since been told this will never happen - at least not for any of the N3 libraries that we know and love.
They didn't want anything to cannibalize sales of Aquas....
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Ok! Happy I didn’t upgrade when it was possible.

Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

I just downloaded AYCE and to my surprise I like A LOT of the preamps. His way of sampling/gear must fit me very well because generally I don't like Nebula Preamps.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Nut

As there are uncertainties about the difference between N4 and N4 Player (e.g. comments above that N4 is now free or that moving from N3 to N4 has been pointless for users), here is a comparison table to help everyone understand better where N4 and N4 Player stand and what features are included in N4.

I would want to point out that IMHO the new server support in N4 (currently in development) is worth the price for N4. It means you will be able to use ethernet connected computers as external extra CPU power/resources for your mixes. This will be a massive help for people running big projects or higher sample rates.
[More info on this to follow with the release of this feature.]

The full N4 (as opposed to N3) now includes Nebula Setups, which before was a paid 3rd party software. For people with many libraries, this is a must have feature. And in N4 now you also get the new presets editor!

Don't forget the Core12 support in N4 and N4 Player in comparison to N3. Yes, little by little, you will see that this will have a big importance and allow for libraries that were never possible in N3 and are better optimised. E.g. the first recently released Broze EQ library is a skinned Aqua library (so multiple bands within one Nebula library, not separate bands that need each an N3 instance). But this is a basic example. There is a lot more, which Core12 will help with.

With N4 (vs N3 or N4 Player) you also get the 3 newer tech compressors: Rose, YROY, Violet. And both Rose and Violet come also as standalone Aqua plug-ins.

Or some small touches when comparing N3 to N4/N4 Player, such as the finder or the new simple interface mode... Yeah, I know that people get these for free in the Player, but then the player won't load old libraries. So for owners of such libraries, this is also an existing difference between N3 and N4.

N4 can now be installed and updated within Aquarius. The libraries for it are also available there. So installation and updates are much easier.

I can imagine that folks with fully offline computers may not see the full benefit of Aquarius, or people who have had some problems may oppose my statement, but I personally don't ever want to look back to the times when installation/updates and authorisation was made outside Aquarius.

And to those who complain that the list of new 3rd party products is not a huge one - give that a little time. Such will be added step by step, but there are more coming. I mean, DBQ just released the very first one within Aquarius/the marketplace...

I hope this post helps

Cheers,
N.G.

p.s. In the table it does say that upgrade from N3 to N4 is not possible. For now this is the case, but the situation has been discussed with the CEOs. Not promising anything, but this is currently looked at and under consideration. If there is a change in this policy, it will soon be announced.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, this table will also be added to the website/manuals...
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-n4-n4-player-comparison-chart.jpg  
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acustica Press View Post
The full N4 (as opposed to N3) now includes Nebula Setups, which before was a paid 3rd party software. For people with many libraries, this is a must have feature. And in N4 now you also get the new presets editor!

Don't forget the Core12 support in N4 and N4 Player in comparison to N3. Yes, little by little, you will see that this will have a big importance and allow for libraries that were never possible in N3 and are better optimised. E.g. the first recently released Broze EQ library is a skinned Aqua library (so multiple bands within one Nebula library, not separate bands that need each an N3 instance). But this is a basic example. There is a lot more, which Core12 will help with.

With N4 (vs N3 or N4 Player) you also get the 3 newer tech compressors: Rose, YROY, Violet. And both Rose and Violet come also as standalone Aqua plug-ins.

Or some small touches when comparing N3 to N4/N4 Player, such as the finder or the new simple interface mode... Yeah, I know that people get these for free in the Player, but then the player won't load old libraries. So for owners of such libraries, this is also an existing difference between N3 and N4.

N4 can now be installed and updated within Aquarius. The libraries for it are also available there. So installation and updates are much easier.

I'm sorry, but this is still extremely weak imho.
I've tried Setups and I don't find it useful for me, so I won't use it. I do have a lot of libraries. What does Setups do for me except save like 1 mouseclick?

Core 12: TimP even stated that he isn't using this. Not sure about the other devs, but when he doesn't use it, why should they?
We will see the importance of Core 12 little by little?
This was a main reason for people to buy N4: we thought the sound quality would improve with the new tech. WHEN will this happen? It's been more than a year, and you're still saying we will see this some time in the future.

Other "small touches"...? Lol. You even admit that these are in N4 free. Other than that, I did not pay the price of N4 to see "small touches".

To sum this up, the advantage of having paid for N4 is that I get a feature I won't ever use (Setups), because it's not a big deal, and a new technology (Core 12) that devs don't use.

Very lame. I'm genuinely angry about this as a loyal customer.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
E.g. the first recently released Broze EQ library is a skinned Aqua library (so multiple bands within one Nebula library, not separate bands that need each an N3 instance).
Just re-read this.
This is a feature that was originally promised (pre release) for N4, and has since been announced as coming soo.

Many people bought N4 for that.

And now you've built it into N4 Player.

Are you kidding me?
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Nut

Hello disp,

If you see no benefit in N4 setups, than probably you don't know how much you can do with it. Here you can read about the standalone version. Manual for the built-in one is on the way.
Nebula - Nebula Setups - Acustica Audio

Bur essentially you can create as many 'plug-ins' as you want with different latencies, that will be named in your DAW mixer as you want, load much faster, load a default different skin and a default program (instead of you having to chose this).

You have also missed to notice some important points I made in my comment.

I cannot comment on what was promised in the past without referring to others in the company. I will check this and get back to you.

But creating an Aqua library (say Broze EQ with multiple bands and dedicated skin) is not a trivial thing. It requires some understanding of how programs are made, some XML editing and understanding of tags and parameters, skinning language knowledge, etc. So this is not a thing given for free to N4 Player owners, this is a feature only possible with the later Cores and open to official developers who need to put some time and work to make it happen.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Bur essentially you can create as many 'plug-ins' as you want with different latencies, that will be named in your DAW mixer as you want, load much faster, load a default different skin and a default program (instead of you having to chose this).
Or, I could just load N4 load the library, requiring a shocking 2 mouseclicks more than it would when using prepared N4 "plugins" with Setups.
See, I do get it, and I certainly think it doesn't justify paying 300 eur for N4.

Loading custom skins? I can already do this by putting a file into the respective folder.

Quote:

You have also missed to notice some important points I made in my comment.
Which ones?

Look, I know your job is selling these "improvements" as a good thing to the customer. But I fail to see how any of this is anything else but a slap in the face of people who bought N4.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure that there is no real advantage in having N4 instead of N3 + N4 Player.

I think with the combo you can open everything and the same way you would with N4. Specially because there is no upgrade path, updating N3 to N4 is a very bad business imo. 300 euros for nothing.

Well, I think with N4 you get a more up to date plugin, more stable, faster. But I don't think this is the case.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I'm pretty sure that there is no real advantage in having N4 instead of N3 + N4 Player.

I think with the combo you can open everything and the same way you would with N4. Specially because there is no upgrade path, updating N3 to N4 is a very bad business imo. 300 euros for nothing.

Well, I think with N4 you get a more up to date plugin, more stable, faster. But I don't think this is the case.
I agree. I have said the same thing in a different way some posts ago, but the main concept (in my opinion) is that the difference between N4 player and N4 full should be greater, for the N4 full to be a convenient path.
I think, however, that the most convenient way to raise the difference would be to give 3d party unofficial developers the availability of the last technology. This is the model for NI Kontakt, for example. This way, we pay for the N4 full (while the unofficial 3d party developers are not paying any fee: we customers are paying their fee to AA in one solution: 300€ for N4 full), but we would see a lot of unofficial 3d party developers, including the traditional ones, developing libraries always with the last technology available, or upgrading the old ones. And this would probably increase the number of unofficial 3d party, too.

On the other side, I don't think that "Setups" functionality and Client-Server infrastructure are small and marginal differences: They are probably not enough for most people to justify 300€ vs. 0€, but I don't think they are marginal features...
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Thanks for backing me up on this.
You do however get the disadvantage of having spent 299 euros for nothing.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by disp View Post
Or, I could just load N4 load the library, requiring a shocking 2 mouseclicks more than it would when using prepared N4 "plugins" with Setups.
See, I do get it, and I certainly think it doesn't justify paying 300 eur for N4.

Loading custom skins? I can already do this by putting a file into the respective folder.

Which ones?

Look, I know your job is selling these "improvements" as a good thing to the customer. But I fail to see how any of this is anything else but a slap in the face of people who bought N4.
Well man, thanks for showing understanding, but I frankly believe that having the Setups function in N4 is an amazing feature. If it doesn't rock your boat, I am sorry for this. But it does make me happy and if you go right now to our Facebook group you will see a post by a customer that expresses exactly the same opinion as mine. So actually most of the time it is easy for me to do my job - I simply say what I think

Yes, you could do most of what Setups offers manually, but it was a mess. Currently it works in a much more manageable and user-friendly way. And it is what users have been asking for since I started following posts about Nebula (some 5 years ago or so).

I personally cannot stand plug-ins in my mixer's DAW that all are called 'Nebula3' - having something like 'Gyrator EQ' or '140 plate' instead makes for a much easier workflow (yeah, some DAWs allow for inserts renaming, but not all).

Then when setup correctly you can add and load N4 'plug-ins' in less than a second to your DAW session, and not have to wait for half a minute for it to load all libraries (in my case 70GB of libraries, but it does make a difference even with less of these, as you can load 1 library only in that setup).

Then it is also super easy to setup a ZL and other version with different latency - for example I use higher latencies for reverbs, but depending on the sample rate I may chose them differently. I also have versions that have the harmonics switched off, etc. Loads to experiment and do with Setups really... honestly...

By the way, here is a quick and incomplete video about it by Franci - we did it to help a bit before the full manual comes out.
YouTube

As what you missed in your comments, N4 also offers 3 pretty good new compressors and the mentioned server functionality. Frankly, the latter for me is enough to justify the use of N4 to N3. It simply calls for an end to the struggle of freezing tracks and running out of system resources.

And the small touches you made fun of - no the finder, the simple interface mode and the presets function will not be available to you if use N3. And in N4 Player you cannot load your old libraries. So these are actually functions you can access only with the full N4 in case you want to use them with old libraries.

And yes, our products are constantly in development - particularly N4. I feel Pink2 was a great show-off of what this means! It was in another thread here, but we spoke about this with Zaphod (GC) - this year for us is the N4 year. You may feel that the improvement to it have been slow, we feel that we outperformed ourselves. Sometimes it is not about what you want to achieve, but how much it actually is possible with the resources you have. As far as I am aware, we are following our schedule pretty well and doing the best we can.

Oh, BTW, there is a new N4 update in Aquarius that should help for any instability issues. A few bugs were replicated and removed in it.

I have not yet checked what promises were or were not made on forums when N4 was first launched. If a specific time frame was promised for the ability to merge libraries, and we didn't do it, than it is a bad point for us, yes! I'll check this as soon as I get a chance. But I spoke with the team in Lodi and my understanding is that we only said that we want to do it but we have no exact time frame. Today when I asked, I understood that merging libraries is something we would want to do in the future. However, currently we do not have an automatic way to do it that is suitable for users. An from what I understood, for such feature we never gave an exact time frame (again, I'll double-check). So yes, the intention must have been and is still there. But as I said above, it is a long a complex process. So to make it possible will require a lot of new features related to automating a lot of processes that are happening behind the scenes. This however is something that is already happening little by little with Core12 and all other features implemented recently. I hope this gives some clarity to the situation...
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks for admitting that I've paid 299,- for Setups functionality, 3 "pretty good compressors", and server functionality.
All of these things used to be optional. Those few people who needed them could buy them.

If Acustica had honestly communicated that these were the only things I get when I pay 299 eur, I would certainly not have done it and just would've waited for N4 Player.
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Nut

OK, I just went through nearly 100 posts here in the New Product Alert part of GS to find the attached quotes from Zaphod when N4 was first released. Really, at this point I can only defend what was already said. Even if the requested feature was marked as something we want to do, it was very clear that this will be of much lower priority and that we promised and released a few days as the first Aqua library. As to what other differences are there between N3 and N4 - all I can say is that since its release there were 200+ updates. I'll try to get a list of all these improvements (yes, some were just bug fixes) and post here as soon as I get a chance.
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-zaphod-gs-post-1.jpg   Nebula must have-zaphod-gs-post-2.jpg  
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

The problem is that the future is not with N4 and old 3rd parties. The future for Acustica is with N4 Player and the new official 3rs parties.

Today, imo, we have 3 guys preventing N4 to be obsolete. AlexB, Cupwise and TimP. If this guys decided to Port their libraries to N4 Player, with all bands in one instance and everything, there would be no reason to own N4.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Have any N3 owners really had to pay €299 for N4?

I paid €100 in pre-order with discount for owning N3 server previously and think what I'm getting is OK for this amount.....at €300 I'd probably be a bit miffed too!

So the network server ability that Acustica Press is suddenly talking about...is that a little leak of Modula info or something different??
Old 12th April 2018
Gear Maniac
Yep setups redundant for me too. I am not angry about N4 just yet but as an owner of N3 pro, I upgraded to N4 on talk of multiple library rack type interface. For N4 player to come out was a bit of a kick in the plums as I could have stuck with N3 and the N4 player. I only really use TimP and Cupwise anyway and a few acquas.
Pretty poor treatment of existing customers but if N4 rack does happen eventually then most will be forgiven.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search