The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post

2. I have a C:nebula4temprepository but this has no Neb libraries but does have my Aqua libraries and various authorisations and xmls - The Neb libraries (progs and vectors only) are stored in my altdatapath F:nebula4temprepository -
So should I change the temprepository location in Aquarius settings to F or leave it as C and the altdatapath in my N4 settings will take care of locations??
Or would I get asked where to install the libraries during install?
Same question here. Can we have some guideline for the upgrade?

In addition to the stella645 question, I would ask :
- if we need to backup and restore the old N4.xml and N4ZL.xml files (In my system in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins\acustica64\)
- if we need to delete the old N4 installation and/or old commercial libraries or we can simply overwrite them all.

Anyway the new version of Aquarius, released today, fixes (for me) the problem with the libraries: they are now all listed as multiple entries (Tapes, reverbs,EQs, etc)
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
I have never used setups before and not sure I get the point of them. I thought I could integrate 2 or 3 instances of N4 to make a chain into one VST (EQs and TimP chains) but appears you can't.

So is the advantage just that it appears inside your VST plugin folders?

btw new N4 libraries sound fantastic

Yeah....that's not what setups was for.
TBH, If you've not used setups before you probably don't need setups now.

The advantage was that you could have multiple instances with different settings, different skins and only certain libraries loaded so they should be quicker to load.

In my case it proved more trouble than it was worth after some update issues left Cubase confused about which instances to open in existing projects!
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
In my case it proved more trouble than it was worth after some update issues left Cubase confused about which instances to open in existing projects!
Ah, this is a problem...

When you use setups, cannot you use a naming scheme that leaves the old sessions untouched? I mean: Can I leave the old "N4" name for the full instance of N4, with all the libraries, and use different names for the reduced sets? (i.e. "opto compressors" or "U76 ratio4"). Aren't all this instances of N4 also separate and different dlls (and then different plugins for our DAW)?
Old 27th March 2018
Any 96k in this library update or still only 44k ?
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertom View Post
Ah, this is a problem...

When you use setups, cannot you use a naming scheme that leaves the old sessions untouched? I mean: Can I leave the old "N4" name for the full instance of N4, with all the libraries, and use different names for the reduced sets? (i.e. "opto compressor" or "U76 ratio4"). Aren't all this instances of N4 also separate and different dlls (and then different plugins for our DAW)?
That's basically correct but I believe the issue is the way in which Cubase (at that time at least) recognised plugs as being same/different.
Maybe if I had called everything compressors, preamps etc I would have been fine but I called them Nebula 3 compressors, Nebula 3 preamps or similar and at some point after updating Nebula, even though all the setup instances were named exactly as before, Cubase no longer knew which was which and would open the wrong instance which then couldn't open the correct library.
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That's basically correct but I believe the issue is the way in which Cubase (at that time at least) recognised plugs as being same/different.
Maybe if I had called everything compressors, preamps etc I would have been fine but I called them Nebula 3 compressors, Nebula 3 preamps or similar and at some point after updating Nebula, even though all the setup instances were named exactly as before, Cubase no longer knew which was which and would open the wrong instance which then couldn't open the correct library.
Ok, thank you. Then maybe if we name the setups instances without the "N4" keyword, Cubase should not make confusion. I.e. simply "TimP U76 ratio4". I will try myself...
It's very important of course that I can reopen the old projects...
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
... the way in which Cubase (at that time at least) recognised plugs as being same/different.
Plug-ins are recognised by a 'Magic ID'

You can define this in N4 for each setup, I guess.
That is how it was in the old version of Nebula-Setups.
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabie View Post
Plug-ins are recognised by a 'Magic ID'

You can define this in N4 for each setup, I guess.
That is how it was in the old version of Nebula-Setups.
I just checked my old postings at AA forum....the issue was actually pre setups using manual edit of the xml and was also when I was moving from 32 to 64bit so maybe I was unfair to point the issue to setups or generally using multi instances.

Magic ID should have been the same for equivalent 32 and 64bit versions according to support at the time.
I got around it by bridging the 32bit versions for loading old projects.

But this was my final finding suggesting Magic ID is not the only thing that signifies the plug identity

Quote:
If the names of the separate instances do not start with Nebula then they will transfer OK (64 opens in place of 32). Any duplication of names at the beginning of the name confuses Cubase & it opens nothing!
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

New Tim P Complex comp is absolutely amazing ! serious squish and perfectly musical whilst doing so...............outstanding hardware sound.......... Impressive ! Has to be heard.................
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

WARNING: DON'T USE AQUARIUS UNINSTALL OPTION FOR COMMERCIAL LIBRARY.

It will delete the programs and vector folders from that location completely.

In my case that's just totally wiped every Nebula library I own from my system.

WTF kind of programming is that??
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Incredible.... I'm sorry about that.

I don't know why Acustica don't do a simple text file with a guideline for install-uninstall-upgrade. Ok, the user manual is in developement, but basic infos about install-uninstall-upgrade could avoid a lot of troubles...
Anyway, I'm going to backup everything before upgrading.
I hope that the new release is stable, above all: If stable, this is a great upgrade for previous N4 owners.
Old 27th March 2018
I have my old N4 running smoothly so I'm a little hesitant to update. Can anyone confirm that the GR needle movement is now fixed when using compressors after the new N4 update? I emailed support a few months ago about this and they told me it is a bug within N4 that would be fixed by the end of Q1 2018. Well we are now very near the end of Q1 2018, so I imagine they have fixed it with this big update. Can anyone confirm?
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertom View Post
Incredible.... I'm sorry about that.
It's not the end of the world as I'm backed up...But I hope no-one without backup gets themselves into the same situation.
Old 27th March 2018
Quote:

OMG !!! I'd literaly go nuts if that would've happened to me.
Do you still have them in your recycle bin ?
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Nut

Yeah, with all this talk about instability and backwards compatibility issues. I'm going to hold off updating for now. I have N4 working really well at present... Doesn't seem like much incentive to jeopardize that, other than for setups...
The stock library isn't utilising core 12 tech apparently...
Perhaps things will get more interesting when the new 3rd party devs start releasing libraries.
Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
OMG !!! I'd literaly go nuts if that would've happened to me.
Do you still have them in your recycle bin ?
I'd actually emptied the recycle bin thinking I was just clearing some drive space so can't say for sure if they were in there.
I do have a backup on an external drive though.....I seem to have got everything back as it was for now.
Old 27th March 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

New N4 pretty unstable here on Mac. Using the VST3 version, previous one was stable, this one crashes easily both Reaper and Cubase.
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
New N4 pretty unstable here on Mac. Using the VST3 version, previous one was stable, this one crashes easily both Reaper and Cubase.
I'm certainly not going to use the VST3 version, unless they have recently changed the VST3 framework in N4... Have you tried the VST2 version? unstable, too?
Old 27th March 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

It worked fine for me until today so I hope they will fix it. I didn't try the VST2 and don't have the intention to switch, I like to keep my plugin folder tidy, there's too many of them anyway, having double versions is unpractical to me.
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
New Tim P Complex comp is absolutely amazing ! serious squish and perfectly musical whilst doing so...............outstanding hardware sound.......... Impressive ! Has to be heard.................
How does it compare to Fab filters Pro G? I love Pro G as an expander. Im assuming it's going to be good coming from TP but can't say I've ever used Nebula for that purpose. How flexible is the shaping in regards to attack/release ?
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnut View Post
That complex gate / expander sounds great. I might have to pick that up. There is no mention of when it might be released as far as I can tell, either in the video or on Tim P's website.
It was released today! Complex Expander/gate - Tim Petherick I just picked it up, it is really excellent! He also updated the Complex comp too, apparently it is smacktastic! Complex Expander/gate - Tim Petherick
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Just seen TimP has updated n60a and he mentions it gives classic knock effect. I am looking for that classic VCA smack compressor sound for drums, would that be this or L-BUSS?
Tim P's newly updated Complex compressor apparently has a lot of smack! Complex Expander/gate - Tim Petherick

And there is also Tim C's Smack comp: Smack VU Compressor | Cupwise FX
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
It was released today! Complex Expander/gate - Tim Petherick I just piked it up, it is really excellent! He also updated the Complex comp too, apparently it is smacktastic! Complex Expander/gate - Tim Petherick

Excellent thanks, I will pick this up then. Any idea what was sampled for these?
Old 27th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnut View Post
Excellent thanks, I will pick this up then. Any idea what was sampled for these?
ADR Compex F760X

Old 27th March 2018
Lives for gear

Now I REALLY don’t need to buy a new pc “ G “. I don’t know what you guys did but besides setup giving me issues. N4 works EXTREMELY well in Protools now.
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

Heads up --

AlexB 20% off Easter Sale

I sense the MFC in my near future!
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Heads up --
Nice. Looking at the ATE anamod emu. Nice N4 skin too.
Old 28th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Nice. Looking at the ATE anamod emu. Nice N4 skin too.
Bleh, I'm still N3.

Every time I have the $299 to buy N4, I get an Acqua instead
Old 28th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
Tim P's newly updated Complex compressor apparently has a lot of smack! Complex Expander/gate - Tim Petherick

And there is also Tim C's Smack comp: Smack VU Compressor | Cupwise FX
Great tip, just bought the complex compressor and it smacks HARD! So good and for £13. Damn. I just can't justify Acquas anymore when TimP's libraries are so good. Balls, I'm turning into a fanboy
Old 28th March 2018
Quote:
Great tip, just bought the complex compressor and it smacks HARD! So good and for £13. Damn. I just can't justify Acquas anymore when TimP's libraries are so good. Balls, I'm turning into a fanboy
I feel the same here but I havent tried the latest AQUAs so there's also that...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search