The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
I think you need to read over my passage one more time.......
No I don't. You said egos are getting the way. I say it's money.

Explain what I have misunderstood.
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
No I don't. You said egos are getting the way. I say it's money.

Explain what I have misunderstood.
Pride kills business which in turn kills any hopes of being lucrative. If cds can make VST versions of his plugs why can’t tim c and Tim p do also ?
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Nut

Hey guys, I want to make the whole N3 / N4 Player / N4 situation a bit clearer.

Back in the day when N3 came out and it was still in circulation, we had the old (now unofficial) 3rd party developers and the business model was the following:
• developers get income from selling their libraries within their own webshops at their own cost, etc.
• AA gets revenue from the sales of N3, which is powered by those libraries
Within this model developers were not paying anything to AA. What developers needed to provide is a few demo programs so that people checking N3 Free had something to load.

The new model is very different. But before this something needs to be made clear.

N4 will not stop supporting any of the old libraries and no, for the moment, there are no plans on N5. So anyone who has some of these can still use them.

Back to the new model...
• developers will pay an agreed % to AA in return of: market place within Aquarius, invoice generation handling and international VAT, tech support related to the core of N4, newest NAT sampler developments, some online exposure as being part of the AA marketplace, website, etc.
• AA provides a FREE N4 Player tool for people, who wants to buy some libraries without committing to the cost of the full version of N4
• N4 will work with both old and new 3rd party libraries

So I guess you see the logic: Where developers are helping to push the sales of N3 (past)/N4 (current) their samples can be loaded without any obligations to AA - and they don't necessarily have to pay AA for this (all old agreements with the old 3rd party developers are still in place and are still respected). Where AA provides new free tools and new tech and sales support, developers must pay a % in return.

I personally think that there is nothing unfair in this new model, quite the contrary... Just keep in mind that staggering amount of work done by Franci, who was hired to create Aquarius and is codding every single day for new optimisations and features. Or all the new work related to the new tech that is constantly coming out. Or the server storage cost associated with Aquarius. Or the new website. etc. etc. etc. All of these things cost AA - it is as simple as this.

Also thinking from my own perspective like someone who doesn't want to bother even a bit with invoices, VAT, webshops, etc. this new model is just a no-brainer. The mare fact that my libraries will be accessible within Aquarius, the tool used by all AA customers, just makes the whole new model worth it. For others who have their own structure developed and a great brand the old model may still be a better way - but I really don't want to make any assumptions or suggestions here. So I will not comment any further on this - everyone has their own unique reasons! However, I want to assure everyone who may be reading this that we are happy to welcome such developers to the new model

Nik Georgiev
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
Pride kills business which in turn kills any hopes of being lucrative. If cds can make VST versions of his plugs why can’t tim c and Tim p do also ?
You're not explaining, you're rephrasing your assertion.

I say it's not pride, it's money.

You're entitled to your opinion, but unless you can explain, we can't accept it as the problem.

And as far as CDs goes, they're not core 12. I think some weren't even Nebula - the M2 ones IIRC.
Old 21st March 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acustica Press View Post
Hey guys, I want to make the whole N3 / N4 Player / N4 situation a bit clearer.

Back in the day when N3 came out and it was still in circulation, we had the old (now unofficial) 3rd party developers and the business model was the following:
• developers get income from selling their libraries within their own webshops at their own cost, etc.
• AA gets revenue from the sales of N3, which is powered by those libraries
Within this model developers were not paying anything to AA. What developers needed to provide is a few demo programs so that people checking N3 Free had something to load.

The new model is very different. But before this something needs to be made clear.

N4 will not stop supporting any of the old libraries and no, for the moment, there are no plans on N5. So anyone who has some of these can still use them.

Back to the new model...
• developers will pay an agreed % to AA in return of: market place within Aquarius, invoice generation handling and international VAT, tech support related to the core of N4, newest NAT sampler developments, some online exposure as being part of the AA marketplace, website, etc.
• AA provides a FREE N4 Player tool for people, who wants to buy some libraries without committing to the cost of the full version of N4
• N4 will work with both old and new 3rd party libraries

So I guess you see the logic: Where developers are helping to push the sales of N3 (past)/N4 (current) their samples can be loaded without any obligations to AA - and they don't necessarily have to pay AA for this (all old agreements with the old 3rd party developers are still in place and are still respected). Where AA provides new free tools and new tech and sales support, developers must pay a % in return.

I personally think that there is nothing unfair in this new model, quite the contrary... Just keep in mind that staggering amount of work done by Franci, who was hired to create Aquarius and is codding every single day for new optimisations and features. Or all the new work related to the new tech that is constantly coming out. Or the server storage cost associated with Aquarius. Or the new website. etc. etc. etc. All of these things cost AA - it is as simple as this.

Also thinking from my own perspective like someone who doesn't want to bother even a bit with invoices, VAT, webshops, etc. this new model is just a no-brainer. The mare fact that my libraries will be accessible within Aquarius, the tool used by all AA customers, just makes the whole new model worth it. For others who have their own structure developed and a great brand the old model may still be a better way - but I really don't want to make any assumptions or suggestions here. So I will not comment any further on this - everyone has their own unique reasons! However, I want to assure everyone who may be reading this that we are happy to welcome such developers to the new model

Nik Georgiev
As long as old libraries are still supported in the paid version, everything is fine.
Old 22nd March 2018
Lives for gear

Here is a nice Nebula Program List that I stumbled on.

You can set it to 100 entries per page, and it includes all your favorites plus it describes a lot of programs from the included AA commercial library, where the names are sometimes not descriptive of what the actual hardware is.
Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Maniac

Hello folks,

Many thanks for your advice so far on Nebula 4, I'm really enjoying using Tim P's libraries. I'm finding them easier to use than I had first thought. They seem more responsive in use than some Acquas, at least on my computer anyhow.

I have this week purchased the following compressors from Tim P :

Vari Level
Opto 3a
Sum 100a

They are working well on vocals so far, I haven't tried them on much else yet.

I would like to add two more compressors for mix bus glue and also maybe something to bring a bit of punch to a mix on the mix bus. Nothing too aggressive since I am working on acoustic music.

I'm thinking about 2 of the following :

Tim P - L Bus
Tim P - Blue Mu
Cupwise 660
Cupwise - Flucti-Mew

Any advice on those in my application would be very gratefully received! Is the L Bus for example quite aggressive and more at home on rock music bringing punch to the drums for example?

Or perhaps the likes of Acqua Titanium / Coral might be better suited?

many thanks!

Last edited by woodnut; 23rd March 2018 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: mistake
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Agressive Mixbuss/Drumbus compressor? L-Bus
Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Addict

For me L Buss is essential and I own a hardware SSL Clone...I also love Coral Comp. I'm also really enjoying using the 1 band comp from Ivory which hardly ever gets talked about, it has similar timings to the SSL but with different ratios. Its a decent comp that I'm just starting to use and get a feel for.

I'm looking forward to the N4 update and some interesting new libraries. I'm using Patchwork at the moment but am finding it cumbersome when trying to have more than a couple of N4 instances open at once. It'd be great to be able to minimize the browser GUI in N4 soyou were only left with the skin and a small bar at the top!

If anyone has any tips for dealing with Patchwork and multiple N4s please let me know as I'm being dragged into Aqua land for workflow reasons (with EQs anyway).
Old 23rd March 2018
OMU
Lives for gear

Ivory 1 band is a hidden gem IMO. I use it on almost every master I do. Attack at 30, release at .1, ratio at 1.4 with just 1db of GR and it enhances everything, just making everything sound clearer, punchier, better. It sounds much more refined and modern than the Sand comp.
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

I'm loving the new preamp bundle from Tim Cupwise. Really nice stuff. The modern 1073 has the weight that I expect from a 1073, and the Mercurial is very classy, especially on the hot setting.
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnut View Post
Hello folks,

Many thanks for your advice so far on Nebula 4, I'm really enjoying using Tim P's libraries. I'm finding them easier to use than I had first thought. They seem more responsive in use than some Acquas, at least on my computer anyhow.

Nothing too aggressive since I am working on acoustic music.
If you don't already have it & for acoustic music Tim's 37J Tape might be useful too.
37J Tape - Tim Petherick

(Just keep in mind the NOTE: Nebulas evf is mono only, in the case of using saturation on a stereo instance we should create Left and right instances in program like meta plugin.)
Old 23rd March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I'm loving the new preamp bundle from Tim Cupwise. Really nice stuff. The modern 1073 has the weight that I expect from a 1073, and the Mercurial is very classy, especially on the hot setting.
Yeah totally agree!! Great bundle and an absolute bargain!
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would like to add two more compressors for mix bus glue and also maybe something to bring a bit of punch to a mix on the mix bus. Nothing too aggressive since I am working on acoustic music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Agressive Mixbuss/Drumbus compressor? L-Bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post
For me L Buss is essential and I own a hardware SSL Clone...I also love Coral Comp.
Agree 100%. L-BUS is so good it negated the HW. Can add some fantastic snap and groove to a track. For Vari-Mu, I found myself using 660 more than the others, sometimes just in pass through mode.
Old 23rd March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

Tim P - L Bus
Tim P - Blue Mu
Cupwise 660
Cupwise - Flucti-Mew
L bus is pretty useful, but maybe not so much for 'acoustic' music.

A good contrast to the harder L bus could be Tim C's A*I Lunchpail or his N*ve 33609 (compressor, but he also does the limiter which I don't use much myself)
Old 24th March 2018
Lives for gear

How much is the upgrade from N3 to N4?

I know.. ask support.. I think this will save me a day or two
Old 24th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffo View Post
How much is the upgrade from N3 to N4?

I know.. ask support.. I think this will save me a day or two
Only AA knows that.... I can say there is a Core 12 N4 update coming soon so upgrade ASAP.
Old 24th March 2018
TNC
Lives for gear

For Vintage Neve Console and EQ sound has anyone compared AlexB's Vintage Neev 14 Console and Vintage N73 EQ to Acustica Gold?
Old 24th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Tim P - L Bus
Tim P - Blue Mu
Cupwise 660
Cupwise - Flucti-Mew
I have all 4 above and L Bus and Flucti Mew are my buss preferences while Blue Mu and 660 are more track comps for my work.

Just remember with L Bus on the 2 buss, use slowest attack, fastest release, 2:1 or 4:1 ratio just moving the meter a touch (2-4 db reduction) for the classic SSL buss comp setting. Tim has the HP filter which allows less low end to hit the comp. On Flucti Mew just know it adds a bit of top end sheen and use similar settings to L bus but play with it more to find the sweet spot.

Both in hardware are one trick comps, but what they do they do better than anything else out there IMHO.
Old 24th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks a lot everyone, this is really helpful.

I'm quite excited to use these libraries in nebula, I've got to admit though it's a bit addictive now that I'm hearing the different personalities of each that I load up in n4. I think after a few more purchases I probably need to get my head down and get stuck in.

I'm finding the eqs in particular are more forgiving of my mistakes and inexperience than algorithms based ones. Surge has been fantastic so far.
Old 24th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
If you don't already have it & for acoustic music Tim's 37J Tape might be useful too.
37J Tape - Tim Petherick

(Just keep in mind the NOTE: Nebulas evf is mono only, in the case of using saturation on a stereo instance we should create Left and right instances in program like meta plugin.)
Thanks yes I have bought this library but I haven't properly tried it yet. Thanks for the tip about the left and right instances, I wasn't aware of this
Old 24th March 2018
Quote:
Thanks yes I have bought this library but I haven't properly tried it yet. Thanks for the tip about the left and right instances, I wasn't aware of this
Per Tim, channels 1 and 4 are voiced similarly, as are 2 and 3. Pairing 1 + 4 on a stereo track lifts the top end, whilst 2 + 3 gives a more rounded top end.
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I have all 4 above and L Bus and Flucti Mew are my buss preferences while Blue Mu and 660 are more track comps for my work.

Just remember with L Bus on the 2 buss, use slowest attack, fastest release, 2:1 or 4:1 ratio just moving the meter a touch (2-4 db reduction) for the classic SSL buss comp setting. Tim has the HP filter which allows less low end to hit the comp. On Flucti Mew just know it adds a bit of top end sheen and use similar settings to L bus but play with it more to find the sweet spot.

Both in hardware are one trick comps, but what they do they do better than anything else out there IMHO.

Just wondering why you are saying on the L-Buss to make sure to use a 30 ms attack time ...
Is it not accurate or faithful to the SSL comp if you use faster attacks ?
Or if i wanted to use way more than 4 db of gain reduction , or different release times ?
i understood that this is the closest to an E/G desk stereo buss compressor entirely , is that not the case ?
I don't own this or N4 yet , so please let me know , much thanks Will !
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear

Its just the go to settings for most people on the HW bus comp - 2:1, 30 attack, fastest release. I don't always use it that way, but it certainly is one of those settings that most people associate with 'punch', 'glue', etc. And when you make the meters move just a little, it doesn't squash the mix. In fact, I like it when there is an option for even lower ratio than 2:1.
Old 25th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post

My hope was that more of the 3rd party dev's would adapt AA's new model and move forward in cooperation, I'm still hoping Tim P and Tim Cupwise move forward with AA.
Surely! Let's hope they bite the bullet man, Nebula land will simply not be the same without them.
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthbalance View Post
Just wondering why you are saying on the L-Buss to make sure to use a 30 ms attack time ...
Is it not accurate or faithful to the SSL comp if you use faster attacks ?
Or if i wanted to use way more than 4 db of gain reduction , or different release times ?
i understood that this is the closest to an E/G desk stereo buss compressor entirely , is that not the case ?
I don't own this or N4 yet , so please let me know , much thanks Will !
You can use L Bus any way you choose, but like the hardware it can do much more damage than good on the 2 bus...... I simply gave a reminder for the time tested SSL hardware settings that also are perfect on L Bus but YMMV.

To each their own.
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
Surely! Let's hope they bite the bullet man, Nebula land will simply not be the same without them.
Man, that would be the best. Would be the real game changer of itb mixing.

Imagine TimP, Cupwise and AlexB taking advantage of all the new Cores Acustica is creating. And I know that they already does some of the features of the new Cores even if they are using old ones. But anyways.

And the workflow... Oh, I'm slowly moving away from Nebula, I guess I'm just too lazy for the workflow it demands. But I love the libraries. So, really hoping to see some of the best sounding libraries as Acqua like plugins.

Edit: one good thing already confirmed is that AITB is going to release libraries for N4. He have done Azure, and had a DW Fearn library very similar to Ruby years ago.
Old 25th March 2018
Gear Maniac
I get the impression that Tim P is a conscientious
guy and likes to keep his library costs fair and low, a very decent way to do business. Just thinking out loud here, maybe the AA royalty is too much for him to deliver what he thinks is a fair priced library as he would have to incorporate that into the cost.
Old 25th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Other Tim P news. Yish in your ear just made a great Tim P libraries video on youtube: YouTube It previews a new, unreleased, Tim P Complex gate/expander.
Old 25th March 2018
Lives for gear

Ok great to hear , thanks Sheik , thanks Will

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search