The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
I can advise that if you are indeed thinking of going into Nebula then wait a little while for the new business model to be set up. Free N4 player and then purchases of libraries through the market place. And you will still be able to purchase libraries from the Tim's and AlexB and the other 3rd party devs who may not work with this new system.
What do you mean, exactly?: can we run 3d party libraries developed for N3 (all TimP, all Cupwise,all AlexB etc...) in the free N4 player?
My understanding was that the new libraries that will run in N4 player will be much more expensive than the old ones, running on N4 full only: am I wrong?
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertom View Post
What do you mean, exactly?: can we run 3d party libraries developed for N3 (all TimP, all Cupwise,all AlexB etc...) in the free N4 player?
My understanding was that the new libraries that will run in N4 player will be much more expensive than the old ones, running on N4 full only: am I wrong?
You're not wrong.

Only developed for N4 libraries or trials will run on the free player.
The paid N4 is required to run libraries from developers that don't take up this model.

Introducing N4 Player -
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
You're not wrong.

The paid N4 is required to run libraries from developers that don't take up this model.

Introducing N4 Player -
Ok, perfect, and thank you for the link.
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

wow, very very good news for N4 in that link. Well done Acustica Audio.

It would be great, I think, if the new N4 commercial libraries developed by the official 3d party developers had different prices for the N4 player and N4 full owners.
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Very interesting about the new N4 Player. Both N4 and N4 Player will have Core 12 tech, huh? I wonder what this means for all the current N3/N4 libraries (i.e., what the developers want to do with them).
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
I can advise that if you are indeed thinking of going into Nebula then wait a little while for the new business model to be set up. Free N4 player and then purchases of libraries through the market place. And you will still be able to purchase libraries from the Tim's and AlexB and the other 3rd party devs who may not work with this new system.
Thank you very much for the heads up!

It certainly seems I have chosen quite an interesting time to consider purchasing Nebula 4.

I guess it is a safe assumption to expect that the Aquarius market place libraries for the free N4 player will be selling at a similar price to the Acquas.

I looked at the authorised third party list and Tim P was not on the list. I guess that means that he is not currently going to make versions of his stuff available for the N4 free player.
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertom View Post
wow, very very good news for N4 in that link. Well done Acustica Audio.

It would be great, I think, if the new N4 commercial libraries developed by the official 3d party developers had different prices for the N4 player and N4 full owners.
Yes that would be great from my perspective, it would certainly persuade me to go with the full paid version Nebula 4.
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnut View Post
Yes that would be great from my perspective, it would certainly persuade me to go with the full paid version Nebula 4.
Yes, it would be another reason to buy the full version. Another option, now, is to buy the commercial nebula library for 69 $ (see the same link above): on 26 march there will be an improved version of this library, including Violet and Rose (both updated) and new skinned libraries. It's not clear, however, if buying this commercial library allows a discount on n4 full (in case you decide to upgrade).
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thank you very much for the heads up!

It certainly seems I have chosen quite an interesting time to consider purchasing Nebula 4.

I guess it is a safe assumption to expect that the Aquarius market place libraries for the free N4 player will be selling at a similar price to the Acquas.

I looked at the authorised third party list and Tim P was not on the list. I guess that means that he is not currently going to make versions of his stuff available for the N4 free player.
Yeah, looks like you'll need N4 to be able to run any of the N3 libraries that we know and love by TimP, AlexB or HO. N4 Player will play the AA libraries and work of new 3rd party developers.

I don't imagine Core 12 will benefit the older N3 libraries unless the devs tweak them...
Our fave devs would need to buy into the new AA business model to have access to the new N4 tools. So it looks unlikely that that this will happen.
I remember people were asking if the 3rd party devs who helped make Nebula famous, would be on board with N4, before it was released.... and G was very vague about who was or wasn't involved.
I guess we can see why, now.
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali.bre View Post
Yeah, looks like you'll need N4 to be able to run any of the N3 libraries that we know and love by TimP, AlexB or HO. N4 Player will play the AA libraries and work of new 3rd party developers.

I don't imagine Core 12 will benefit the older N3 libraries unless the devs tweak them...
Our fave devs would need to buy into the new AA business model to have access to the new N4 tools. So it looks unlikely that that this will happen.
I remember people were asking if the 3rd party devs who helped make Nebula famous, would be on board with N4, before it was released.... and G was very vague about who was or wasn't involved.
I guess we can see why, now.
My stuff doesn't need core 12. I'm already eradicating noise and truncation. Nearly all my products have this.
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
You're not wrong.

Introducing N4 Player -
Whoa! That's HUGE!!
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

I guess its impossible to say whether or not an investment in the N4 paid with a view to accessing the older libraries would be a good choice at this point. I note from this thread people commenting that the number of developers and releases has reduced over the years.

For developers that are still active and do not wish to sign up to the new method as an authorised third party developer for Aquarius, does this mean that they will be a lot less likely to make new releases in the future? It certainly makes the paid version less appealing, but perhaps the libraries that already exist are still well worth it and will hold their own against those that will be made by authorised developers using the newer core technologies?

Last edited by woodnut; 19th March 2018 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: typo & extra detail
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post
My stuff doesn't need core 12. I'm already eradicating noise and truncation. Nearly all my products have this.
And this is why you're one of the greatest and most innovative assets to Nebula land. Period.

I hope you never stop pushing forward!
Your hard work is truly appreciated
Old 19th March 2018
Gear Maniac

I have seen that there are demos available for some of Tim P's compressors, am I correct in thinking that these won't load on N4 or N3 free versions?
Thanks.
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

It looks very similar to the Native Instrument Kontakt model. Developers pay extra to have libraries work in the free version. But similar to Kontakt, many of the non-free libraries are some of the coolest things available for the format. I can't imagine working without TimP, Cupwise and AlexB libraries. I think anyone loving the sound of Acquas are missing out if they haven't experienced them.
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I guess its impossible to say whether or not an investment in the N4 paid with a view to accessing the older libraries would be a good choice at this point. I note from this thread people commenting that the number of developers and releases has reduced over the years.

For developers that are still active and do not wish to sign up to the new method as an authorised third party developer for Aquarius, does this mean that they will be a lot less likely to make new releases in the future? It certainly makes the paid version less appealing, but perhaps the libraries that already exist are still well worth it and will hold their own against those that will be made by authorised developers using the newer core technologies?
The quality and value of Tim Ps libraries alone makes the purchase of N4 well worth it!! All the main 3rd party developers still releasing stuff do brilliant work. Cupwise just released a great preamp bundle for £5 for example, the 1073 is a new favourite!!

The new 3rd party developers working with N4 who haven’t already released libraries have a great opportunity but also have a lot to live up to!! Either way things are moving forward with N4 and I see lots to be positive about
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

My extensive 3rd party Libraries were all designed for Nebula-3.
They were evaluated and purchased from that perspective.

All of them work in N-4, and continue to be utilized.
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Head

Another important consideration is that the original gear that TimP & TimC sampled is no longer available for
re-sampling in most cases. TimC hires pieces of gear specifically and TimP works in conjunction with supremo gear technician and restorer Neil Perry.
Between them they have let us access to some very rare pieces of equipment that I doubt the new developers would be able to ever obtain.
So what I am saying here is that I feel I personally need these older libraries and no doubt the new ones once the new developers prove their sampling skills.
TimP commented that he doesn't need core12. If you get a copy of PluginDoctor you can see for yourself how absolutely perfect his sampling is.
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Maniac

The examples that I have found online for Tim P's Nebula plugins are really impressive.
Rather than do the sensible thing and wait to see how it all lands with the N4 player and whatever new Nebula developments might arise, I'm going to dive in and get Nebula 4.

While there are a lot of recommendations in this thread for Nebula "must haves", I wanted to ask if there are there any of Tim P's compressors that might work well for compression duties for acoustic music comprised of stringed instruments, vocals and stripped back percussion?

Or for that matter any EQs that might work well in this application. It looks like surge can be demoed which helps.

The shape modifier looks like it could be very interesting for bringing out the attack of a finger picked guitar in a dense mix.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The examples that I have found online for Tim P's Nebula plugins are really impressive.
Rather than do the sensible thing and wait to see how it all lands with the N4 player and whatever new Nebula developments might arise, I'm going to dive in and get Nebula 4.

While there are a lot of recommendations in this thread for Nebula "must haves", I wanted to ask if there are there any of Tim P's compressors that might work well for compression duties for acoustic music comprised of stringed instruments, vocals and stripped back percussion?

Or for that matter any EQs that might work well in this application. It looks like surge can be demoed which helps.

The shape modifier looks like it could be very interesting for bringing out the attack of a finger picked guitar in a dense mix.

Many thanks in advance.
My most used TimP comp is probably the STA-Level! It would be great for acoustic music.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Nebula EQ, compressor, preamp, and console libraries are the best-sounding options ITB to my ears. When I want the highest quality and most realistic, 3D, and smoothest EQ, I know it's going to be an N3 library loaded in N4 for me.

As others have mentioned, it's good to see things happening for N4, but that doesn't discount that the third party libraries already in existence have the best sound ITB. But yeah, I'm excited to see new things on top of it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post
The quality and value of Tim Ps libraries alone makes the purchase of N4 well worth it!! All the main 3rd party developers still releasing stuff do brilliant work. Cupwise just released a great preamp bundle for £5 for example, the 1073 is a new favourite!!

The new 3rd party developers working with N4 who haven’t already released libraries have a great opportunity but also have a lot to live up to!! Either way things are moving forward with N4 and I see lots to be positive about
Dang, I'm upset that I missed that release from Tim Cupwise. I should really check the AA forum more.
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
As an additional question, I was also lining up a purchase of Ebony which I have demoed and really like. Would anyone be so kind as to offer any advice on how Ebony's plate reverb compares with similar offerings in Nebula land such as those from vnxt and cupwise?

I know N4 Player is the subject du jour but I'd also to hear some tips from the Nebula masters re: Aqua Reverb landscape.
I'm wondering if there are some less expensive Nebulas that feel like Ebony.

I know Giancarlo said Ebony was unique because they modeled the harmonic distortion as well. IMO The verb trail with Ebony just hangs and melts in a mix...

Is that a unique character of Ebony or do the other EMT Aqua plates do this as well ?

Grazi!
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
And I wonder how AA mysteriously just learned to do this, lol.......
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj View Post
My most used TimP comp is probably the STA-Level! It would be great for acoustic music.
Thank you for the recommendation, that's "Vari-Level" isn't it?

I pulled the trigger on Nebula 4 and am looking forward to purchasing some third party libraries to get me going. I probably should have waited but I'm itching to get going on some of the projects I have planned.

Probably vari-level, and 37J Tape for starters. Maybe a couple more in addition.

Any other recommendations would be very welcome.

Many thanks.
Old 20th March 2018
Quote:
Thank you for the recommendation, that's "Vari-Level" isn't it?

I pulled the trigger on Nebula 4 and am looking forward to purchasing some third party libraries to get me going. I probably should have waited but I'm itching to get going on some of the projects I have planned.

Probably vari-level, and 37J Tape for starters. Maybe a couple more in addition.

Any other recommendations would be very welcome.

Many thanks.
Opto3a and U76 are must have imo.

Maybe a console from AlexB.

My go to is the SP79 Neumann mastering console but I see a lot of people loving the Mfc.

Silk EQ 259b from TimP is another one I'd get If I were you.
Old 20th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Does AA’s core technology also decrease The CPU hit?
I’m wondering if 3rd party libraries will ever become less CPU intensive?
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear
All the OG devs have extremely sensible prices. You'll end up buying loads of libraries.

I'd add Rstate Model D from TimP for acoustic EQ myself.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
All the OG devs have extremely sensible prices. You'll end up buying loads of libraries.

I'd add Rstate Model D from TimP for acoustic EQ myself.
The Rstate Model D is one I've totally overlooked for some reason. How does it sound? What are the characteristics like? The curve plots look pretty nice on Tim's site.
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Maniac

Thank you very much for the recommendations folks! I shall investigate all of these.

I purchased Vari level, 37J Tape, Surge EQ and Shape Modifier. I'm going to pick up one or two more I think then get on with getting my head around these tools and Nebula 4 in general.

Thanks.
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
The Rstate Model D is one I've totally overlooked for some reason. How does it sound? What are the characteristics like? The curve plots look pretty nice on Tim's site.
To me its like a kind of warmed up Surge. So it's precise, but not as warm as a Siemens, (forgot what Tim calls his...) It adds a little bit of body. You can use it everywhere. It could be the only EQ you needed - (Disclaimer: I WOULD NEVER CONSIDER THIS TO BE EVEN REMOTELY SENSIBLE!!!)

The shelf/bell combo dial is convenient too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search