The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Man, another headsup... Just saw that AITB's releasing two new reverb libraries: Phonocamptica and TankVerb

AITB - Nebula Libraries & Audio Plugins

When it rains, it pours!
I try to avoid their stuff....the copy protection is a pain.... :(
Old 11th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Are they doing 96kHz yet? I can't hang with 44.1kHz only.
you can get the Mammoth @ 96k and I suspect their upcoming libs will have a 96 option...
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
I try to avoid their stuff....the copy protection is a pain.... :(

Copy protection?? I didn't have to deal with anything like that
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
Yeah, I could be mistaken, but I don't remember copy protection either... been a while since I installed them, though...
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear
The VST version of W735 EQ has an authorization code.
Don't know about the AITB Nebula libraries having one.
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the Mammoth EQ from them and it needs to be authorised or it won't work.
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Doc Fear had to have an authorization when I purchased it. It's no big deal. You can authorize it on line. If it's too much of a PITA for you, you don't want or need it that bad anyway. Lots of things about making music on a computer could be considered WAY worse.
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Doc Fear had to have an authorization when I purchased it. It's no big deal. You can authorize it on line. If it's too much of a PITA for you, you don't want or need it that bad anyway. Lots of things about making music on a computer could be considered WAY worse.
Yeah but it runs out, limited authorizations, and I do restore my system drive quite a bit.
It's very sensitive to system drive changes...
Sometimes it will expire even though Nebula itself is Ok

Not only that but Mammoth is by far the slowest program to load here!
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
The VST version of W735 EQ has an authorization code.
Don't know about the AITB Nebula libraries having one.
Whats the deal with this vst? Does it use nebula code?
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Whats the deal with this vst? Does it use nebula code?
Sort of... It uses the Acqua Engine from Acustica Audio:
• View topic - Acqua Effects F.A.Q.

You can download the free Acquavox Preamp plugin from them. It's a pure VST. Nebula is not needed. There's not many VST plugins using the Acqua engine yet.
There's some from CDSoundmaster:
http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-so...e/plugins.html
Analog in The Box W735 EQ:
AITB - W735 EQ
Acustica Audio AcquaVox:
AcquaVox

Those are the only ones for now.....
Old 12th October 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
Sort of... It uses the Acqua Engine from Acustica Audio:

You can download the free Acquavox Preamp plugin from them. It's a pure VST. Nebula is not needed. There's not many VST plugins using the Acqua engine yet.
There's some from CDSoundmaster:
Analog in The Box W735 EQ:
AITB - W735 EQ
Acustica Audio AcquaVox:
AcquaVox

Those are the only ones for now.....
cdsoundmaster 1084 vst is pure Neve glory
Old 12th October 2012
Gear Maniac

Gotta agree with the AITB authorization issues. I purchased their Flex EQ bundle back then when there was no authorization needed. Brilliant, stable. Still have those library versions, luckily.

Then I recently pulled the trigger on Fate Comp and was surprised by the auth process. Easy to handle, that's not the big deal, but now as soon as I used the Fate Comp in a project and tried to open that project the next day, Reaper hopelessly crashed on project load until I removed Fate Comp from the nebulatemprepository folder - then it immediately opened fine. No way to restore the previous Fate comp settings afterwards once you saved your project without Fate Comp in your library folder. Nebula just remains on "Init".

AITB support is friendly and the solution seems to be to run Reaper with admin rights. Haven't really fully tested it out since then, since the several days support response time when I basically couldn't continue a full days work with Fate Comp all over the project completely deterred me from using Fate Comp altogether.
Well, sure, he was on holidays and that's fine, but that didn't help me.

And now reading that the authorization is timing out from time to time doesn't make it any better !
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
How do you find the Fenix? Does it have decent compression behaviour or is it more for colouring...?
Well, you can try it yourself -> AlexB Nebula Programs - Fenix

Just this morning I dropped The Fenix and Mammoth from the master buss.. yesterday I found out that Alex had sampled Neve 1073 (which had somehow slipped by), so I decided to give it a try.. WOW!

So, I replaced almost all of my preamps with the 1073 for a test run (except vocals and some solo instruments for which I use Manley VoxBox) and noticed that The Fenix and Mammoth empathize the same areas too much as 1073, so I dropped them.. results: WAY better tonal balance and less stuff on the master buss. The Fenix also made things sound somehow "thinner" too and I have never like what it does to the stereo field.

So now I basically have full-blown virtual Neve 5088 with 1073's as pre's and two penthouses (never such thing has been sold). The only thing non-Neve basically are the VoxBoxes and Doc Fear on the master bus, since I haven't been able to fully emulate what it does to the low mids.
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuseburn View Post
And now reading that the authorization is timing out from time to time doesn't make it any better !
Hmm, I'll have to keep an eye on that. I haven't had any timing out issues yet...
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuseburn View Post
Gotta agree with the AITB authorization issues. I purchased their Flex EQ bundle back then when there was no authorization needed. Brilliant, stable. Still have those library versions, luckily.

Then I recently pulled the trigger on Fate Comp and was surprised by the auth process. Easy to handle, that's not the big deal, but now as soon as I used the Fate Comp in a project and tried to open that project the next day, Reaper hopelessly crashed on project load until I removed Fate Comp from the nebulatemprepository folder - then it immediately opened fine. No way to restore the previous Fate comp settings afterwards once you saved your project without Fate Comp in your library folder. Nebula just remains on "Init".

AITB support is friendly and the solution seems to be to run Reaper with admin rights. Haven't really fully tested it out since then, since the several days support response time when I basically couldn't continue a full days work with Fate Comp all over the project completely deterred me from using Fate Comp altogether.
Well, sure, he was on holidays and that's fine, but that didn't help me.

make sure you run Reaper as Admin - right click on it's icon and set it
That should fix the crash
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear

I think I might be getting the Kultcomp

KultComp

Just playing with the demo, this is the first Nebula compressor that reacts the way I expect. Sounds creamy and lush
You can get the release to slam into your face as well

It's much better than Rayphlex for heavy compression
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I might be getting the Kultcomp

KultComp

Just playing with the demo, this is the first Nebula compressor that reacts the way I expect. Sounds creamy and lush
You can get the release to slam into your face as well

It's much better than Rayphlex for heavy compression
Just took a look - man, that is one big library! I'm gonna' have to try that demo...
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quick little shootout - just used the demo versions, so the ratios are not the same, but as close as I can get them.

Used the regular 44.1k Kultcomp program. The HQ one sounds a little different and seems to let more peaks through in an unpredictable way.
Attached Files

Drums_Original.mp3 (601.1 KB, 926 views)

Drums_KultComp.mp3 (601.1 KB, 974 views)

Drums_Rayphlex.mp3 (601.1 KB, 930 views)

Drums_VertigoVSC-2.mp3 (601.1 KB, 787 views)

Drums_SoftubeCL1B.mp3 (601.1 KB, 780 views)

Old 14th October 2012
Lives for gear

Kultcomp sounds good, but Rayphlex is hanging pretty well too... It's a good time to be a Nebula user!

Thanks for posting those!
Old 15th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Kultcomp sounds good, but Rayphlex is hanging pretty well too... It's a good time to be a Nebula user!

Thanks for posting those!
Have the full version of Rayphlex now, and overall I would say Rayphlex is more punchy with a sheen to it. More beef in kicks etc
While Kultcomp is more lush/creamy, especially in the mids. A bit thicker sounding.
Old 15th October 2012
Lives for gear

anyone used rephlex on the master out? Any recommendations for which program?
Old 15th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
anyone used rephlex on the master out? Any recommendations for which program?
Generally speaking, for master compression, 2:1 and under. Soft knee. Slow attack and release
And no more than 3 db. With maybe some high pass filtering for the inbuilt sidechain, say 80 hertz, so that the low frequencies don't pump the compression.

Maybe even run the compression in parallel and blend between the uncompressed and compressed to taste
Old 15th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Generally speaking, for master compression, 2:1 and under. Soft knee. Slow attack and release
And no more than 3 db. With maybe some high pass filtering for the inbuilt sidechain, say 80 hertz, so that the low frequencies don't pump the compression.

Maybe even run the compression in parallel and blend between the uncompressed and compressed to taste
Is this done a lot? Parallel compressing the whole master?? I've been wondering about it...
Old 15th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is this done a lot? Parallel compressing the whole master?? I've been wondering about it...
Yes, used a lot when mastering. That's where it was invented, in mastering circles

I used to be mastering engineer a long time ago
Old 16th October 2012
Lives for gear

So how is it done? Just compressing the Parallel? Adding saturation?
Old 16th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
So how is it done? Just compressing the Parallel? Adding saturation?
Just compress the parallel, not sure why anyone would want to add saturation when mastering... that's more you something you do while mixing.

Mastering is done when you have all the songs you want to release together to sound cohesive and nice.
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

I filtered a Roland Jupiter 8 line I recorded a while back with the "The Drop", modelled Korg MS20 filter VST plugin

Then I ran it through the Nebula VSF Korg MS20 Line amp program - saturation left at 0 - hmmm creamier, fatter and warmer
Attached Files

CCJ_JP8_theDrop.mp3 (1.33 MB, 735 views)

CCJ_JP8_theDrop_Nebula.mp3 (1.33 MB, 771 views)

Old 17th October 2012
I bought few of the Henry Olonga "the Console Strip", is it just me or they are mostly on the dark side?
I believe it has also a little bit to do with the fact that digital is often high-is and an analog gear smooth out that region but some of them are quite dark.
anyone have similar thoughts?
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRain View Post
I bought few of the Henry Olonga "the Console Strip", is it just me or they are mostly on the dark side?
I believe it has also a little bit to do with the fact that digital is often high-is and an analog gear smooth out that region but some of them are quite dark.
anyone have similar thoughts?
The 2 consoles I have from AlexB are not dark at all - MBC and MLC.
Infact they add some top end sheen, especially the MBC one - API

Some of the Neve ones I have, preamp and signal path, so pretty much a console, also add sheen.
Old 17th October 2012
I know, I have some AlexB stuff too, that's why I was asking if any of you find some of the programs in "The Console Strip" to be dark, and by the way they are 2/3 dB lower but that's now a big issue.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search