The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Quick question RE PCI conflicts. Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quick question RE PCI conflicts.

Hi!
Today I installed a second video card to get 3 monitors running.
In my PCI slots I already have,
1 - Maudio profire 2626 connected by a fire wire PCI card
1 - PCIe Video card (my current two monitors)

I plugged in the new card and hooked up the monitor, the strange thing is now when I start the computer I only get visual on the new monitor/vid card, as if it's the "main" monitor.
The other two turn on eventually once windows boots into the welcome screen.

The problem I have is I can play audio through windows fine, however it seems dodgy, when I move the mouse around I get glitches.
BUT
When I open Cubase and a session I get a visual of the audio on the screen (EG meters are working in cubase, i'm seeing signals moving),
But no sound, ZERO.
Not even when trying to import a file.

I tried moving the new vid card to a new PCI slot and booted again and then got sound when trying to import an audio file into Cubase.
Booted up the previously mentioned session and nothing, not even signals this time.

Pulled out the card and everything is back to normal.

Any ideas on where to start,
I'm stumped,
It's obviously a conflict with the vid card, but I don't understand how Cubase can, "half" work with audio because of it.

:(
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

as to which the computer chooses to be the main monitor, this is likely (just a guess...) a priority issue with the boot sequence.

But the video problems seem to me to be the typical old school "video card drivers optimized for gaming" problem from over ten years ago. At that time the video drivers were not releasing the PCI bus when they were supposed to. The drivers were direct from the manufacturer, 'latest and greatest', not the ones they submitted to Microsoft. Worked great for games, sucked for audio.

It could also be as simple as two different video card drivers not playing well together, or the combined requires resources eating what was available to you, which would necessitate your changing your buffers and accepting more latency.

And then there are all the 'video enhancing' apps that are loaded in by the video card install program that you won't need or use unless you constantly play with that stuff, which will also eat resources just waiting for you to want to change the screen resolution or something.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks Bill.

New card running on generic windows 7 drivers. (whole sys is 64 bit).

I guess I could try installing the factory drivers for the card for 64 bit and see if that changes anything.

I don't really care about the boot up, the task bar is still on the monitor I want it on, I guess because of the preferences setup in WIN.

No vid apps installed, as I said just plug and play basically.

I hope I can get it all to work,
Will be a pain and a waste of money if not :(
And soooooo sick of pulling out cards and screwing things together.

Will try drivers and check back.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Remember that the audio card and the video card are on the same bus (PCI) so that is where I would start looking for problems if it is not a driver issue.

I'm not a computer expert, just had a lot of machines over the years. There are others here who know a lot more than I do. But often a logical approach can find the root of a problem.

I have no problems with two monitors from the same card under Win 7/64. I've not tried adding a third monitor via a second card. I've never been comfortable with that solution. I do miss my third monitor.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks again Bill,

I understand what you mean by "sharing the same bus" obviously, but how do I start to troubleshoot bus conflicts/issues?

Going to do a google etc right now,

Any other info you could help me with would be most appreciated,
Decided I need to do a complete reinstall as well to start a proper clean tweaked system.

I know what you mean about the third monitor,
I'm really getting into film/tv composition though and two monitors just doesn't cut it, I find myself constantly resizing the video playback window and not having enough space on the second monitor for it and editing my VSTs and plugins, so I really need it!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

When you use 2 monitors many cards have issues with their power saving modes and some driver versions. You can check this with DPC latency checker (search these forums or guru3d.com forums.) Timur I think knows the fix for this too, I prefer to find working drivers that avoid the issue myself.

Second place to check is with the firewire driver & win7 drivers from m-audio (on their forums.) Possibly you might be able to find a better specific driver for your firewire chipset if Windows has defaulted to a generalized one.

Also Win7 does indeed choose the opposite arrangement compared to Xp with regards to the dvi output ports. If you've done a new install on old hardware that was running Xp you'll notice this, you can swap the cables around or deal with it in windows via 'change resolution' by right click (or in your gpu drivers.)
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

According to NVidia *all* graphic-cards switch to permanent High performance (3D) mode once you use more than one display, they call it a "hardware restriction". In reality things differ.

Problem is that you cannot be sure which 2D/3D mode works best, if the automatic switching causes dropouts and if there is any working solution for your specific graphic-card/driver at all.

So first of all you need to find out where the culprit is and then see if there is some solution workaround. If the new graphic-card causes the issues then try running the system with *only* this new card. Does it cause issues then as well? Once you are there we can go through the possible steps (start by downloading and running DPC Latency Checker).

Concerning the boot priority of graphic-cards. Many mainboard BIOS setups have an option that allows you to switch the priority between PCI and AGP/PCI-Express. Most use the "PCI" setting as default.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur View Post
According to NVidia *all* graphic-cards switch to permanent High performance (3D) mode once you use more than one display, they call it a "hardware restriction". In reality things differ.

Problem is that you cannot be sure which 2D/3D mode works best, if the automatic switching causes dropouts and if there is any working solution for your specific graphic-card/driver at all.

So first of all you need to find out where the culprit is and then see if there is some solution workaround. If the new graphic-card causes the issues then try running the system with *only* this new card. Does it cause issues then as well? Once you are there we can go through the possible steps (start by downloading and running DPC Latency Checker).

Concerning the boot priority of graphic-cards. Many mainboard BIOS setups have an option that allows you to switch the priority between PCI and AGP/PCI-Express. Most use the "PCI" setting as default.

Thanks everyone for the input,

Thanks Timur,
This whole situation has had me worried about my overall performance, not to mention I have a UAD card as well that I haven't installed. (I have a spare PCIe slot too, dam should have bought a PCIe second vid card)

I've run the DPC Latency checker and it stayed green and didn't go above 500 with just my first vid card and my firewire card installed.
I've got these both so they seem to be working well.

So now I should throw in the other card and try running the system just using that card?
I'll run DPC over that as well,
I'm close to just selling the third screen and forgetting the whole exercise
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search