The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Really Struggling with my DIGI 192's Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Really Struggling with my DIGI 192's

Talk me off the ledge or push me over...I am just not happy with my 192's. Am I crazy? when I mix I use outboard and a summing box and I'd like to upgrade the multiple channels of A/D D/A....

So should I just sit tight or....

BLA FM Mod 'em?
BURL B80 Mothership it
Lynx it?

Please chime in if you've had my experience and are on the other side, or found a way to love your 192's.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Lynx all the way.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
I do believe that, if you can afford it, it's worth buying the best stuff you can get just in order to take the equipment out of the equation. When I'm mixing on great gear, I can honestly blame myself when mixes don't come out good enough. That's helpful to me.

Personally, I'd love to make mixes as good as George Massenburg's and those of other wonderful mixers who use 192s. So, personally I'm fine with 192s. But, you and I mix differently, I'm sure. So, spend the bucks to get your 192s out of the equation, even if this just means renting some Apogees or Lynxes or Prisms or whatever for a few days. That will be the best way for you to see if the 192s are really your limiting factor.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Better yet... have an engineer friend come in and hook up some lynx or apogees... or not, but don't let him tell you which ones you're actually mixing through.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!! It helps having the community chime in. I'm actually due to meet up with Massenburg next month so maybe I'll ask him, too...
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

A Big Ben is a relatively inexpensive way to improve your situation.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

The mothership is calling
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=jumpnyc;6174084]Talk me off the ledge or push me over...I am just not happy with my 192's. Am I crazy?

You're not crazy!!!!! I have 192's and the lynx but soon will be replacing all the 192's. I think the top end of the lynx is way smoother, actually everything about it is better.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

You're crazy.

Think of all the brilliant albums that have been made over the past several years (and are still being made) with 192.

I'm not saying there aren't things we might like better, but you're probably just tweaking out. This website tends to make people do that.

If you have 10k+ to blow on converters, go ahead if it'll make you feel better. You probably don't, though. If you can borrow stuff do it–maybe on a stereo basis so you can make some easy comparisons. That should quell your curiosity and make you feel better.

Or, just do a lot of listening to albums that you know have been made with the 192 converters and isolate other elements of the production that you can improve first.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

The 192 AD´s are not that impressive...I was shocked how bad they were actually and I am using the AD in MOTU 896HD and MOTU 8Pre instead.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

The new Avid Converters are fantastic. I upgraded from a 192 and a BLA 002 to the new Avid 16x16. The improvement, to my ears, is drastically better. I hear frequencies more defined than I ever have and my mixes are showing it.

i've never used the prism's or the lynx.

hope that helps!
Old 3rd January 2011
I've used Lynx, Apogee's and 192's, they are all great And use any of them happily. If you cant get the mix right its not to with the AD/DA conversion of 192's. More great records have been mixed with those than anything else. IMO sounds like maybe your monitoring needs to be looked at if you can't get the mixes right.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

The old 192's are indeed one of the few convertors that benefit from an external clock (improves quiet a lot), but i would also replace them. Not that they are really bad (i agree with the post above), but it could be better....

SSL Alphalink is the best deal (price/quality on hi end level) i think now (trough the deltalink if you work in PT HD) for real good convertors. But Lynx, Burl (never worked with it, pure on reputation) and other hi end convertors will all be better i think.

But convertors are the least important factor in a studio. Be sure that the rest is covered before you blow a lot of money on convertors. On the other side, a chain is as strong as it's weakest link...
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

They're not that bad. Really. But this is Gearslutz.
I use it in 88.2 (with outboard inserts, listening through 2192 -> tape/metric halo)
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Really Struggling with my DIGI 192's

I guess I should state that my mixes are working/translating. Clients are happy. I just am hearing what I think is the *sound* of these converters. My monitoring is fine. But I think I'll try a new approach this month and see if I'm happier with them.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

For those who care - I am going to quit whining and make them work. Thanks!
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnyc View Post
For those who care - I am going to quit whining and make them work. Thanks!
Why torture yourself?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Why torture yourself?
I'm feeling a little hedonistic. And truthfully if many others are successful with them, then I think I should try another approach before ditching them altogether. Truthfully - I've wrung my investment out of them many times over...so I if I can't get them to cooperate, I'll just bite the bullet and upgrade.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Black Lion is sending me a unit to compare. This will be a good test for me.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Nut

When I used the 192's for the first time I was like & .
Perhaps when recording straight into PT they are fine, because you can compensate with mic/preamp/EQ/whathever choice right away, but then I was dumping tracks previously recorded on 2 inch and it sounded as a BIG veil around the speakers. Later I did the transfer once again, but using different converters (Apogee) and it was fine.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukpio View Post
When I used the 192's for the first time I was like & .
Perhaps when recording straight into PT they are fine, because you can compensate with mic/preamp/EQ/whathever choice right away, but then I was dumping tracks previously recorded on 2 inch and it sounded as a BIG veil around the speakers. Later I did the transfer once again, but using different converters (Apogee) and it was fine.
Was it properly calibrated? Mine was not when I got it.
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Black Lion is sending me a unit to compare. This will be a good test for me.
keep us posted on your findings!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm using my 192 and Lavry black AD and DA with outboards (EQ's, compressors) but I don't think that 192 is drastically bad in its job.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman View Post
Was it properly calibrated? Mine was not when I got it.
It was not a matter of levels. The studio was a multi-room complex, they have a lot of 192's and techinicians to set them properly. As a matter of fact I recalibrated the converters to match the levels of the Studer A820 mkIII I was using. The problem was that all three 196's were very undefined in the top end using standars Digi clock. A different brand of AD converter and the problem was instantly solved.
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm curious...

If the o.p. is still around–what was the outcome of this sonic quandary?
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

So - I do a lot of post. As such the Lynx does not play well with the HD Sync from Avid/Digi - so I can't use Lynx. I just don't think it pays to spend $4K plus to upgrade my 192's to either the new AVID boxes or the Black Lion - so I just said screw it - and I am committing to the 192's.
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Way to be! Good for you.

How does the Lynx not play well with the Sync box?

Thanks for the reply.

Grayson

P.S. This thread went nowhere via my magical thread-killing abilities, but here was my brief experience with the new AVID HD interfaces, which I hope will make you feel better: HD Omni Vs HD IO

Last edited by grrrayson; 1st February 2011 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: postscript
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

I called lynx and checked their forum and there are bug issues with the sync hd box. I rely on it too much to risk it. Thanks for the link!!!
Old 1st February 2011
Quote:
Talk me off the ledge or push me over...I am just not happy with my 192's. Am I crazy? when I mix I use outboard and a summing box and I'd like to upgrade the multiple channels of A/D D/A....

So should I just sit tight or....

BLA FM Mod 'em?
BURL B80 Mothership it
Lynx it?

Please chime in if you've had my experience and are on the other side, or found a way to love your 192's.
Can you describe your setup with a little more detail? I'm not clear
on what the phrase "outboard and summing box" means or how
you're going into and back from the 192(s).

Without understanding your complete signal-routing path and
summing path, it's hard to figure out if the 192 is the issue, or
elsewhere.

jeff
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Jeff,

It's moot now but I have two 192's with a total of 32 outs and 16 ins.

I use ~ 12 ins and outs for outboard compression inserts in protools and then I use 16 outs to sum the stems with a dangerous 2-bus which then feeds a Lavry gold a/d on the way back in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search