The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac OSX Screen Sharing & ProTools 9
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Mac OSX Screen Sharing & ProTools 9

Hey Guys.

I'm having trouble with ProTools and screen sharing on a mac. I was really excited to discover screen sharing on OSX so I could remote control my DAW from the tracking room. But ProTools doesn't seem to like it when screen sharing is running, and gives me constant errors while trying to record. When Screen Sharing is not 'enabled' (ie. no computer or tablet is accessing the computer) ProTools operates just fine.

I've posted in more detail on the DUC but had no help.
Screen Sharing - PT having issues when Overdubbing using VNC remote - Avid Audio Forums

Has anyone else had this problem?

I'd really love to be able to use a laptop or ipod touch to control PT so I can do basic overdubs.
Am I the only one having this issue, or is there something I need to do to make ProTools happy while screen sharing is happening?

Any ideas you could give me would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Joel
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

I have never had a problem, but I am on PT 8

FWIW, I connect by sending a request from my laptop to the Pro Tools machine, and then approving it as a "guest" or whatever it is called, on the PT machine.

I once did it by logging in with a password, and it also worked OK, but the second time I tried it, my password did not work.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply. Anyone tried screen sharing with PT9 yet?

I'm getting frustrated. I tried again using the VNC screen sharing remote on a small session with all plugs bypassed and I keep getting error-6086 ("the operating system held off interupts for too long etc etc").

No issues at all when not using screen sharing.

I'd love to know if this is a PT9 bug, or if there is something I can do inside my system to make it work!

thanks

Joel
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Because I'm in a home studio set up and I have a 35' DVI cable, I sometimes just use the bluetooth keyboard/mouse with a monitor mirroring the main. However, if I'm using another computer (my macbook pro) I use Apple Remote Desktop (required for my day job heh) but I've used a VNC app on my iPad with Nuendo, Logic, and PT8 without a glitch.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Guru

PT 8 here. (2) 8 cores. Snow Leopard. Works like a charm. A little laggy, but I think that's to be expected. What kind of network are you connected thru. GB ethernet here.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Bill. just using my in home wireless network.

that said, no one using ProTools 8 seems to have any issues.

Could anyone who has ProTools 9 give this a shot and let me know?
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

I just downloaded the "remote client update" from apples software update. Was really hoping it would fix the issue but nothing. ProTools can't even play audio while tracks are record enabled without giving errors after a few seconds (when screen sharing is active of course).

this is getting me down. I really like the idea of using a VNC remote to control ProTools. It's so convenient, if it would work.

No one else has this issue at all?
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

OK.

I think I have this solved.
If you own a 2008 Mac Pro 2.8 Octo, for some reason Screen Sharing bogs it down, as other users with this machine on the DUC have had the same issue.

Here is what I found that works. Download another VNC server!

I found VINE server and so far it works no problems.
Vine Server (OSXvnc) | Download Vine Server (OSXvnc) software for free at SourceForge.net
you can see the clients connected and OSX inbuilt screen sharing does not even open.

I wish there was jollysfastVNC program for the ipod/ipad, but there does not seem to be. But if you want to screen share using your mac laptop, jollysfastVNC seems to be the best and very fast.
JollysFastVNC

anyways...this is all good news for anyone who has a 2008 Mac Pro and this screens sharing issue!

hope this helps. heh

Joel
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search