The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Macbook Pro! What to do?
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

New Macbook Pro! What to do?

Well, I have some confusion as to which direction to take my recording rig. My lovely and hip cool wife surprised me with a new 17" MacBook Pro for xmas. Although she bought it because I was close to needing a new computer for my web work, she also knew about my current recording rig being inoperable. I'm a new Mac user, but love it already and know this is what I want out of a computer.

Ultimately I want a mobile rig, so this new MB is a good thing, and she got some upgrades which I think will help the conversion. However, I need to decide how it will perform the best which means looking at the whole system (again) and sorting through the software/hardware.

Currently running a rack 3.3 ghz P4 with:
  • Cubase Studio 5
  • Rosetta 800
  • RME HDSP9652 card

All was great until I upgraded to Cubase 5. The P4 cannot handle that audio engine. I really don't want to build/rebuild another PC.

So I know with the Mac the HDSP card is history, but I've never run a system via Firewire/USB. Do I just get the Apogee x-firewire card? What are other options using the Rosetta, if any? I really like Cubase, have been using it a while, but I'm not intimidated or closed-minded about using other software. I would hate to buy another version of it to run on a Mac, guessing it's maybe not the best for the Mac OS anyhow. How about Parallels? All these decisions are new to me setting up a laptop system.

I still want to keep the system fairly high-end, and don't want to sink a load of dough into software and new hardware. I'm looking for suggestions that are practical with my current gear. Any relevant info is greatly appreciated.

Macbook specs:
New Macbook Pro! What to do?-macbook-specs.png
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

You could get a Symphony Mobile card for your Rosetta. Fortunately the 17" MBP still has an ExpressCard slot.
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

Yes, that's the ticket I believe. Thanks, never heard of it before.

This thread can be deleted.
Old 3rd January 2011
nms
Lives for gear

If you're not too attached to cubase Logic could be a really nice move for you. Ableton and Logic both fare much better on Macs than Cubase does, which may be worth considering for you since most laptops aren't as powerful as their desktop counterparts. Cubase performs significantly worse on Mac than PC.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

going mobile? then you are set with the 17" macbook pro and this
RME: HDSPe MADIface

although there was discussion about some issues maybe
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...presscard.html
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

im jealous of you. i have a 13" :(. ill get a 15" next. i would get the 17" if i could afford it.

and as others have said, cubase doesn't run as well on a mac. usually some crashes and it's also not as efficient.

pretty much most other daws run great on a mac...reason 5, logic....if your willing to switch. if not i still think you will be just fine with cubase on that rocket of a laptop you got.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

All you guys that say that Cubase 5 performs significantly better on a PC,have you actually used it???
I'm running C5 on both i7 950 PC and a C2D Macbook(2008) and although for sure you can get lowest latency fig. on PC, it runs brilliant on the older Mac as well.
Crashes? what crashes?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search