The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are the best plug-in companies? Dynamics Plugins
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

What are the best plug-in companies?

1) Processing plug-ins
Waves, UAD, Abbey Roads, Brainwerx, and Softube -> are what a salesman told me are the best sounding plug-ins available on the market. Is there anything else out there that is top notch like these?

2) Multi-FX Plug-ins
What about multi-effects? Because I do not have TDM and yet Eventide bundle is only available in TDM... please help. What do I buy for crazy FX? I cant find any companies who make Native Multi-FX other than the Native instruments stuff. But I need more multi-fx to the level of Eventide and TC. Effects that are far out there.
Old 2nd January 2011
Deleted #157546
Crane Song Phoenix and HEAT when you go TDM.

I'm a big fan of Slate Digital too.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticsWizard View Post
1) Processing plug-ins
Waves, UAD, Abbey Roads, Brainwerx, and Softube -> are what a salesman told me are the best sounding plug-ins available on the market. Is there anything else out there that is top notch like these?
Pretty much spot on.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I have to say UAD
reasons

1.they work the manfacturers of the hardware that they are turning into a plug

2.they have free updates

3. they most expensive bundle is the Omni package only $4,000

4. the Quad card seems to be very highend and leaves your RAM and CPU usage for track count,etc....

5. their lower cost Card bundles comes with $500 voucher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

look into the Omni Package and add SSL bundle and Studer tape machine plug....
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

The best sounding plugs in my opinion are coming out of UAD right now.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

I really love Soundtoys. They're a great company, really, really good and most of all quick service. And their whole vibe is just really down to earth.

Softube make some really good affordable plug ins. What I like about the FET compressor is that it not only sounds pretty decent for an emulation, they added more functionality than what a 1176 actually has. The ability to parallel compress without needing to dupe tracks or use aux's is very handy.

UAD looks good in theory but the cards just put them out of my market, anyone who uses an iMac can't even use their plugs, which sucks, because they make some pretty awesome looking plugs.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
1) Processing plug-ins
Quote:
Originally Posted by fataltone View Post
I have to say UAD
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convectuoso View Post
anyone who uses an iMac can't even use their plugs, which sucks, because they make some pretty awesome looking plugs.
UAD website is saying they have 64bit support for Mac's now.....????

Universal Audio | Analog and Digital Audio Products and Plug-Ins
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convectuoso View Post
I really love Soundtoys. They're a great company, really, really good and most of all quick service. And their whole vibe is just really down to earth.

I have customer support issues with SoundToys. No answer to any of my questions for 2 weeks. Then I started bitching and they came back with snide remarks and still no help.

I have some of their plugs, they won't get updated and I'll take my loses on them and never buy one of their plugs.

UAD would be my top choice.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

PSP. Waves. UAD. Lexicon.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Downloads « Variety Of Sound

The Nasty series of EQs are seriously nice pieces of kit. Considering they are absolutely free it does sort of show you sometimes life ain't so bad. I'd be interested to hear other's feedback on the Nasty series. To my ears the person who designed them has one hell of an ear for tone.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Actually some URS stuff isn't too bad....i usually use my UAD and Softube ones...but depending on what sort of sound you want, the URS is pretty good...going on that, IK multimedia aren't that bad either...some stuff in the t-racks bundle can add some character to a track when used right...

but yeh...generally my stuff is mostly UAD and Softube, and occasionally URS, IK multimedia, and also PSP.

Haven't tried slate digital yet...but i'm just waiting for the VCC to come out properly...
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
Downloads « Variety Of Sound

The Nasty series of EQs are seriously nice pieces of kit. Considering they are absolutely free it does sort of show you sometimes life ain't so bad. I'd be interested to hear other's feedback on the Nasty series. To my ears the person who designed them has one hell of an ear for tone.
Excuse me sir, I am unable to use plug-ins without RTAS compatility. Any company who does not offer RTAS are nothing but a bunch of bigots with closed minds. And they should not be considered unless they offer VST, AU, AND RTAS, (or any other everyday standard format I have missed). But RTAS is the most industry standard, regardless if its not the best - its still industry standard.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Excuse me sir, I am unable to use plug-ins without RTAS compatility. Any company who does not offer RTAS are nothing but a bunch of bigots with closed minds. ...
That's a weird thing to say.

Anyways, check out McDSP. I loooooove the way they sound, great and intuitive GUI, and they offer some of the most affordable plugins, upgrades, etc of any company around. You will not be disappointed.
Old 4th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
1) Processing plug-ins
I would add Voxengo in the list. I don't need RTAS though so no idea about that... VST plugins, AU plugins, Professional audio plugins - Voxengo
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek View Post
That's a weird thing to say.
No its not. To omit that format is to be a prick to exclude pro tools users. Pro Tools is industry standard and regardless, why would anyone even refer to something which does not have that compatibility.? Why would anyone refer to something that excludes the main DAW in the world? LOL.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Head

Cool Massey

Don't forget MASSEY!
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravehill View Post
I don't need RTAS though so no idea about that... VST plugins, AU plugins, Professional audio plugins - Voxengo
But other people DO. And its not fully professional if it does not include RTAS.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
No its not. To omit that format is to be a prick to exclude pro tools users. Pro Tools is industry standard and regardless, why would anyone even refer to something which does not have that compatibility.? Why would anyone refer to something that excludes the main DAW in the world? LOL.
um... because it costs money for Pro Tools/RTAS licensing? Pro Tools is "the industry standard" so they can charge the most money for access to their proprietary software code, or for that little "RTAS" label you see in the corner of your favorite plug ins.

This cost may be prohibitive for some companies.

I'm just spitballin here, but it seems like Capitalism 101 to me.

EDIT: and to be clear, your use of the word "bigot" in reference to companies that do not offer RTAS plugs is weird. "Bigot" is typically used in reference to behavior that exhibits prejudicial intolerance, such as racism, sexism, religious discrimination, etc...

Last edited by audiogeek; 4th January 2011 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Ellaboration
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

UA, NI and Brainworx is constant used here, but I also use other stuff:

The Uhbiks : u-he.com - UHBIK
MFM2 is only AU and VST, but it's a REALLY good delay.

+1 for soundtoys. Great sounds. The bundle is a all killer no filler.

Slate VCC and Trigger are excellent. I'm not compleatly sold on FG-X.

Valhalla DSP makes an amazing Delay for free and the fantastic Shimmer. Brilliant plugins: valhalladsp > index

Finaly Fabfilter makes some really good stuff : FabFilter Software Instruments - Audio effect and synthesizer plugins AU VST RTAS
Pro-C, Pro-L and Volcano gets used alot here.

Far out is also about experimenting. There's a lot of great stuff which can be mondane at first sight, but go beyond the presets, and see what you do.
Old 4th January 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Excuse me sir, I am unable to use plug-ins without RTAS compatility. Any company who does not offer RTAS are nothing but a bunch of bigots with closed minds. And they should not be considered unless they offer VST, AU, AND RTAS, (or any other everyday standard format I have missed). But RTAS is the most industry standard, regardless if its not the best - its still industry standard.
A few things:

- Windows VST is the most popular plugin format by a long shot, in terms of sales.
- The RTAS SDK is not a publicly available SDK. You have to apply to Digidesign (well, Avid now, but it is still a Digi website) and be approved in order to get the SDK. I know of lots of companies that put their application in months ago, and have yet to hear a reply.

There are plenty of excellent plugin companies that offer VST/AU for Mac and Windows, but don't offer RTAS, for the reasons listed above.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTuxedo View Post
I have customer support issues with SoundToys. No answer to any of my questions for 2 weeks. Then I started bitching and they came back with snide remarks and still no help.

****ty for you, i guess karma is at work though.
Old 16th January 2011
Gear Nut

+1 for soundtoys native bundle = AMAZING VIBES !!!
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
Thanks for your insightful contribution to this discussion, gearslutz just wouldnt be the same without you.

As for the original poster, UAD, Voxengo, PSP, Waves
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

WAVES with there modeling plugins.
Old 16th January 2011
Free: Fish Fillets (blockfish on "complex mode" on rooms is amazing) Cheap: Stillwell Audio and I love Waves plugs regardless of their wup policy or high prices.
Old 16th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Softube, SPL, SoundToys, PSP, FabFilter and only one plug-in but golden, Cytomic The Glue.
Old 16th January 2011
Gear Addict

Fabfilter. Pro C and Pro L's innovative and visually informative interfaces are important in my opinion. "Using you're ears" is a no brainer, but that doesn't stop people from looking at the gain reduction meters...this just takes it one step further. It should be incorporated in all plugins as an option. It's just too easy to blindly go "okay I'll just slap 12db reduction on these guitars" while looking at a meter...plus its fun to visually see whats actually happening to transients, there is not denying that much
Old 16th January 2011
Gear Head

Always a good topic

Someone should serve beer with this topic. I noticed a lack of anything Izotope on this thread. For a multi plug Alloy is interesting. Ozone's dithering code is very good.
Gotta Have:
UAD - Pultec, LA2A, 1176, Neve plugs. Their CS is interesting.
Abbey Road - Just heard these. Pricey, but darn good.
ProFilter - EQ and Comp. effficient, clean, great GUI.
Some of the Waves stuff - C4, Lin EQ, L1. SSL channel strips and comp are pretty good. Saw the Dorroughs Meters - don't own but want.
For freebies the Fish Filets stuff is quite interesting.
Verbs and delays? there are so many different tonality options, its hard to pick. Sometimes cheesy is awesome. I like Waves IR, but MasterWorks Plate (for DP) is useful. UAD's RealVerb is nice and flexible. Ozone's could be the worst sounding RAM eater ever, but it has a certain ugliness that can be useful.
i look at it like this: Plug Ins are like Guinness. There is Guinness on tap, but they also sell it in portable containers. You just know the stuff on tap tastes better, but sometimes ya gotta be somewhere besides the pub!
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

URS Strip-Pro is absolutely my go-to plug-in when I want to have some fast comp, eq and/or filtering on a track. Hope they come out with a 64bits version of their software soon...

For Multi-fx as you describe I mainly rely on Logic intern fx and Waves Diamond bundle.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search