The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are the best plug-in companies? Dynamics Plugins
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticsWizard View Post
No its not. To omit that format is to be a prick to exclude pro tools users. Pro Tools is industry standard and regardless, why would anyone even refer to something which does not have that compatibility.? Why would anyone refer to something that excludes the main DAW in the world? LOL.
so you think that bootsie (varosound) should PAY avid so that he can develop RTAS for plugins that he gives away for free?

and more importantly, with your obvious vast knowledge of what is "industry standard" you arent aware of a little application called "fxpansion vst to rtas wrapper" that most people use in these situations.

maybe im worng but its a lot easier to use it (and enjoy vst within PT) than it is to bitch about an amazing developer who gives us stuff for free.
Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

for Soundtoys, PSP, Waves SSL, Massey. I also find the Sonnox plugs to be solid. Also a huge fan of Altiverb.
Old 16th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Excuse me sir, I am unable to use plug-ins without RTAS compatility. Any company who does not offer RTAS are nothing but a bunch of bigots with closed minds. And they should not be considered unless they offer VST, AU, AND RTAS, (or any other everyday standard format I have missed). But RTAS is the most industry standard, regardless if its not the best - its still industry standard.
Even VHS was an industry standard,but Betamax was better
Plugins developers are free to choose what system support.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
I just downloaded those and kind of checked them out real fast... these plugz are the real deal.. and for free? .. this fella could be selling these.. wonder why he hasn't started a company?
make sure to check out nastyDLA (tape delay) and ferricTDS (tape emulation which won the KVR developer challenge and is inexplicably free)
Old 17th January 2011
What are the best plug-in companies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi
URS Strip-Pro is absolutely my go-to plug-in when I want to have some fast comp, eq and/or filtering on a track. Hope they come out with a 64bits version of their software soon...
I like the URS plugins a lot. Pretty good for a plugin.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

I always end up using UAD.

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Uad, psp, waves, softube.
Old 17th January 2011
Gear Head

Varosound and Mac

I would really like to try these out but looks to be PC only (no OSX) ... anybody have a suggestion, or news, or something besides get a vst wrapper or crud like that? Can we bribe the guy?
Old 18th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Downloaded the demo of the UHBIK plugs, suddenly they were all over my projects, couldn't easily find replacement plugs that sounded equally good, so ended up buying them lovely stuff.
Old 23rd March 2011
Gear Maniac

Hey I know....Waves! lol...and UAD

Seriously, someone mentioned Stillwell, great, cheap and I believe the OP was looking for that type of multi-effects, wierd stuff (check out the tinman, oligarc...by them)
and along those lines, Camel audio's camel space is Fantastic! (so is their other stuff)

Also Ugo makes metallurgy=great

Artificial Audio has a couple, namely Obelisk and Quartz
Anarchy makes AnarchyRhythms
Audio Damage makes Dr. Device

and there's a great multi effects plug in called fragmental I don't know who makes it and I even think it's free (I know, I know, but believe me, I tested a bunch one day and it beat all of them..)

Those are all multi-effects, weirdo stuff.

but besides the usual suspects, another stillwell-like company that makes great processors that are affordable, in my Opinion is Crysonic and the same thing for vst instruments is LinPlug

hope that helped a little...and of course, Uad, waves and psp
Old 26th March 2011
Gear Guru

I really like URS, Softube, Abbey Road for EQ/Compressor stuff

Reverb I like Wizoo and cubase 5's IR reverb, also lexicon and IK CSR have been used many a time

for FX I'm a new big fan of Audio Damage. total radiohead. Sound Toys really are that cool too! Also stillwell and camel

never got on with PSP, but their multi FX (N2O?) looks pretty cool

wish I could afford UAD :-(

there's a lot of free ones worth mentioning too TLs Maximizer, Cyanide 2, some of the Voxengo stuff, gsuite
Old 26th March 2011
Gear Guru

I just tried the FabFilter stuff I have to say I'm impressed! very simple and intuitive, yet good sounding and friendly. the interface is just great.

I just tried some urs stuff too that seems really good, some of their more specialized EQs (Motor City) and the Saturator is nice, and the Pro channels strip as mentioned above
Old 21st April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvertedPhase View Post
Someone should serve beer with this topic. I noticed a lack of anything Izotope on this thread. For a multi plug Alloy is interesting. Ozone's dithering code is very good.
Gotta Have:
UAD - Pultec, LA2A, 1176, Neve plugs. Their CS is interesting.
Abbey Road - Just heard these. Pricey, but darn good.
ProFilter - EQ and Comp. effficient, clean, great GUI.
Some of the Waves stuff - C4, Lin EQ, L1. SSL channel strips and comp are pretty good. Saw the Dorroughs Meters - don't own but want.
For freebies the Fish Filets stuff is quite interesting.
Verbs and delays? there are so many different tonality options, its hard to pick. Sometimes cheesy is awesome. I like Waves IR, but MasterWorks Plate (for DP) is useful. UAD's RealVerb is nice and flexible. Ozone's could be the worst sounding RAM eater ever, but it has a certain ugliness that can be useful.
i look at it like this: Plug Ins are like Guinness. There is Guinness on tap, but they also sell it in portable containers. You just know the stuff on tap tastes better, but sometimes ya gotta be somewhere besides the pub!
You mention the Dorroughs meters. Not for nothing, but Sonoris' meter is 1/3 the cost, has K-metering scales, phase measurement AND a test tone feature to calibrate your monitors (you do calibrate your monitors, don't you?). Not hating on Waves, btw; I own Platinum and the LinMB is amazing (among several other amazing -- and not so amazing -- plugs) but for limiting, the L3-16 (not part of Platinum) leaves L1, L2, L3, Elephant, and Event Horizon (I own all these...and more [sigh]) in the dusty dust. You owe it to yourself to try this thing. Truly.

Here are my balls: bust 'em at your own risk.
Old 22nd May 2011
Gear Addict

I am mainly interested in a set of plug-ins that is processed externally - preferably via Firewire. (PC btw). i only want to use my Laptop for handling my DAW's functions like freeing up resources for track count, etc. And even if I have more processing power, I am not a fan of having my computer multi-task - only to handle the DAW. Thats it. (i dont care if Native sounds better, I have no reason to believe it according to my experience with DSP versus Native - but if Native sounds better, I dont care - I am not doing Native multi-tasking.).

Guitar amp sims are Axe FX,

My synths are Access Virus totally integrated via USB with the audio stream,

Effects and some processing is through My Eventide H8000FW via Firewire.

Unfortunately toontrack supeior 2 is handled by my computer - so i have to live with that. But after laying down drums I bounce to audio and disable it regardless.

So what other companies offer external DSP processing of plug-ins (preferably via Firewire to a seperate box - just like my Eventide). . Is Duende still around with that firewire box?
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

I'll vote:
Sound toys
UAD
Sonnex
Abbey Road
Sotftube

I'd like to try DMG some day.
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

UAD-2 - My favorites
Chandler Limited
SoundToys Echoboy

I have replaced all Waves with UAD-2 and am happy I did so.

I have no experience with Massey but have heard nothing but great stuff. Soon I'll get into some of their plugins.
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Most things PSP are no less than great, UAD has a good handful of useful toys, Soundtoys is great, and SkNote is an up and comer, especially with their new GTS-39 Gates Sta Level emulation. If Tritone Digital ever finishes natively recoding their plugins and making them available again, they will definitely be right up there with the best.
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

They make killer hardware too,but MetricHalo Labs gets my vote. I'm still using their " Channel Strip " plug after all these years
Peace
Old 24th May 2011
Gear Nut

UAD (Studer, FATSO) for all purposes, Slate Digital (VCC and Trigger) is cool stuff, couple of Waves (Vocal Rider), Audio Ease (Speakerphone) is usefull, D16 Group nice in some cases, Voxengo is great alternative if you have no money for everything above, Softube is very nice but i could not use it for mixing, there is something specific in this plugins, they`re sound only if you using softube stuff. This is only my opinion))
Old 24th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by serga View Post
.... Softube is very nice but i could not use it for mixing, there is something specific in this plugins, they`re sound only if you using softube stuff. This is only my opinion))
???

My vote goes to Softube.
I love my CL1B, next on the shopping list is one of EQs.Will see which one...
Old 25th May 2011
Lives for gear

Agree Softube on the emulation side, but if you're after way-out there effects as stated, I can't believe only one person has mentioned Audio Damage ... their phaser is the best I've tried to my ears (and is an emulation to boot), their dub delay is inspiring, their chorus/flanger brilliant and their way-out-there stuff is as way out as something that turned kind of leftish at far, far away and passed the outer limits of nowhere the year before last and just kept going ...
Old 25th May 2011
Lives for gear

As an ex-long time Soundtoys user, and also asked for assistance with their plug-ins, I've found them to be less than helpful. Even getting a PM from them when I last expressed my issues, and when I returned the PM, I heard nothing.

$1100 wasted.... and no support.

Can't say that in the days when a majority of the best plugs are costing less than $200, Soundtoys is anywhere near the top of my list.

I still have the authorizations, yet can't do a single thing with them. Hardware gear is even better than that. Shoot, Digidesign was better than that (remember them?).

But maybe they thought I like to throw money away...

Even Waves has been better, and I still have to update my WUS.

Izotope has been GREAT!!
Old 25th May 2011
Gear Addict

Another vote for Cytomic. Only one plugin as of now, but a plugin made to the highest of standards, and a constant strive for perfection.
Old 25th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by T800 View Post
Is Duende still around with that firewire box?
Solid State Logic | Music News | Solid State Logic release Duende Native plug-in collection

Alistair
Old 21st May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
No its not. To omit that format is to be a prick to exclude pro tools users. Pro Tools is industry standard and regardless, why would anyone even refer to something which does not have that compatibility.? Why would anyone refer to something that excludes the main DAW in the world? LOL.
What about all the RTAS plug companies that dont offer ANYthing else. Protools may be "Industry standard" ...but in reality you have Ableton/Logic/Cubase/ ...and ALL the others that all use either Vst or AU.

This "Industry" is only a small percent of the world thats using Plugins to produce/mix. ...if we were talking hardware than "Industry" would totally take the cake. But this is plugins, and a generation were being a producer is the new cool thing. Millions of users if not 100's of thousands

Example: Nice Studio using Protools/RTAS ...about 20 home studio / bedroom producers / Dj producers using AU/VST in that same neighborhood.

The reason a company chooses 1 over the other is Manpower/Workload.

Go read the massey sight on why he isnt making AU available.... and i totaly get it. But if this dude offer'd AU/VST he would have alot more business and in turn be able to grow to a size were he can handle it. Thats just my opinion. ...sucks, there are Sooo many RTAS i want to use, but im not gonna change platform just to use them. oh well:(
Old 21st May 2012
Gear Head

Flux::
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
Most things PSP are no less than great and SkNote is an up and comer, especially with their new GTS-39 Gates Sta Level emulation. If Tritone Digital ever finishes natively recoding their plugins and making them available again, they will definitely be right up there with the best.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The Sknote stuff is nothing short of astonishing. I was also a big fan of Tritone's valvetone once upon a time when I was using a PC. Another amazing company with a great ear for ITB tone.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Guru

UAD, URS, Massey, and Valhalla are all I'm using for processing right now.
Old 22nd May 2012
I'll vote for:

1. Waves
2. Abbey Road

R.
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Head

1 - UAD
2 - Lexicon
3 -
4 -
5 - Soundtoys
6 - Softube

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search