The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Macbook Air 13" 2010 DAW Software
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Macbook Air 13" 2010

Has anyone purchased a new Macbook Air and try to run audio software on it. IE. Logic, Ableton? What have the results been? I am interested to know if it has enough horsepower to handle audio.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

i recommend reason 5. its like the most efficient daw and theres no vsts to hog up cpu. my friend ran reason 4 flawlessly on his old ass G4 which are slower than the airs.

as far as logic and ableton. it would run them but id imagine you couldnt use many plug ins etc..
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Runs absolutely fine. I'm run Live, Logic and PT on an 11" Macbook Air with no issues. Because the HD is flash, you can get an INSANE amount of disk tracks running in Logic. Plugin count is limited as you would imagine, but you can still get a lot done. The 13" should be even more up to the task. Remember, these new machines (even though they are slower than Macbook Pros and Mac Pros) are twice as fast as machines that were around 5 years ago.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

That's good to know.
Was wondering about the old tried and true maxim which we all apply, that is keeping your audio and samples on separate drives. One might think with random access such as flash, we may finaly (contingent on flash space), be able to run an entire production from a single drive (flash).

Are ou running audio, streaming any samples from the same drive as system drive ? Of course when I say drive, you know what I am referring to.
Cdlt
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I have ProTools on a 13" Air. It's great. SSD drives are the bee's bollocks.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post
That's good to know.
Was wondering about the old tried and true maxim which we all apply, that is keeping your audio and samples on separate drives. One might think with random access such as flash, we may finaly (contingent on flash space), be able to run an entire production from a single drive (flash).

Are ou running audio, streaming any samples from the same drive as system drive ? Of course when I say drive, you know what I am referring to.
Cdlt
Even on non-SSD media, I have streamed samples and audio off the system drive with no show-stopping issues. It all depends on how much you're streaming. Unlike uncompressed video, audio these days is not difficult to stream from modern storage. Back in the days of SCSI, audio tracks could bring a system to it's knees, but today - I'm able to run 64 stereo tracks of 96K audio in Logic off the system SSD on the Macbook 11" with no problems. That's insane.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn.michael View Post
Even on non-SSD media, I have streamed samples and audio off the system drive with no show-stopping issues. It all depends on how much you're streaming. Unlike uncompressed video, audio these days is not difficult to stream from modern storage. Back in the days of SCSI, audio tracks could bring a system to it's knees, but today - I'm able to run 64 stereo tracks of 96K audio in Logic off the system SSD on the Macbook 11" with no problems. That's insane.
Are you referring to a new macbook air 11" 2010 model that just came out? You are saying you can run 64 tracks on it? That's crazy if I understand this right.

If that's the case, the worst case scenario on the air is to play your parts with the vsts and just export the audio and flip it to a track if you run low on power.

If what you are saying holds true, I am going to pick up a macbook air 13" tomorrow.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarthy945 View Post
Are you referring to a new macbook air 11" 2010 model that just came out? You are saying you can run 64 tracks on it? That's crazy if I understand this right.

If that's the case, the worst case scenario on the air is to play your parts with the vsts and just export the audio and flip it to a track if you run low on power.

If what you are saying holds true, I am going to pick up a macbook air 13" tomorrow.
Macbook Air 11" 2010 model. Just did another test and ran 96 STEREO tracks of 96K audio in Logic - and the Disk I/O meter was at half capacity.

It's a MONSTER for audio playback.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn.michael View Post
Macbook Air 11" 2010 model. Just did another test and ran 96 STEREO tracks of 96K audio in Logic - and the Disk I/O meter was at half capacity.

It's a MONSTER for audio playback.
So I take it your also recording to the drive too right ? I'm just getting mixed reports on SSD drives, but your report sounds highly positive.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

Haven't done too much recording on the machine - usually working on stuff created on my desktop. But, I did a test and recorded 24 STEREO tracks at 96K with the Disk I/O meter at about 10% so I wouldn't see any issues doing basic recording on the computer... I have heard some negative things about recording to SSD though (probably the same things you've heard)
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Addict

Love my Macbook air 11inch

Great for almost anything.. but the display is crap.
Impossible to do any photo/video editing because of the terrible view angles.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search