The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula VS Summing Amp? Saturation Plugins
View Poll Results: Nebula VS Summing Amp
Nebula
25 Votes - 53.19%
Summing Amp
22 Votes - 46.81%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd January 2011
ep1c0ne
So what does the D2B LT offer that the DBox doesn't?
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract View Post
tried nebula but i think it dont sound like having the real thing.i didn t buy nebula cause it make me want the real gears even more but for the price it s nice.(but don t know about summing amp , some are subbtle a chanel strip with transformers or a console may give you more for the money)
You didn't buy nebula so you probably didn't have the chance to use the 3rd party libraries........
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
maybe yes but transients ,depth,weight is where i hear more the difference when there is some. transients are robotic itb ,with some gears they are more musical , it s like itb have a hard time to deal with transients.
yes (this is all my personal theory btw...) but it seems like this 'musicality' is down to the subtle movement in analogue signals that is very slightly saturated and dynamic. Digital is clinical and exactly precise - which I think to our ears comes out as more static and harsh...I think the human ear is more used to analogue signals as they are abundant in nature...
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
So you are basically saying that Slate Digital are liars and not telling the truth for being able to "simulate" crosstalk thru corresponding VCC channel inserts? Is there proof that they are liars in regards to this aspect? If so, please bring this forward.
Not saying they are liars but no there is no way they can simulate crosstalk with current DAW signal flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessem View Post
Thanks for your detailed instructions! One thing that has somewhat confused me is the -18dBFS you mentioned. I've seen this mentioned in various places and plugins used (which no longer seem to be available for osx). I use logic pro, so would this be as simple as putting the channel fader down to -18 or would I need a separate gain plugin on the channel before nebula?
i use Sonalksis FreeG for metering and also gain adjustments-its a free download. Broadly speaking have signals averaging around -18dBFS and peaking at -12dBFS, all depends on the nature of the source. You can't just pull the fader down as inserts are pre-fader in Logic.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveken View Post
You didn't buy nebula so you probably didn't have the chance to use the 3rd party libraries........
i tried lot of demo and listened to some samples ,many are not convaincing to me ,some sound nice but the workflow and better sonics of the hardware will lead to better sounding results in no time for eq saturation stuff,consol, compressors...i don t like compromise
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
yes (this is all my personal theory btw...) but it seems like this 'musicality' is down to the subtle movement in analogue signals that is very slightly saturated and dynamic. Digital is clinical and exactly precise - which I think to our ears comes out as more static and harsh...I think the human ear is more used to analogue signals as they are abundant in nature...
it s what make a big difference,i remember one shoutout of the guy summed a itb mix into a low end console and bam ! the magic was there. even in this low end console i could hear more improvment (and magic) than in plugins like nebula and alex b console samples on his site.
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
it s what make a big difference,i remember one shoutout of the guy summed a itb mix into a low end console and bam ! the magic was there. even in this low end console i could hear more improvment (and magic) than in plugins like nebula and alex b console samples on his site.
not sure...I think actual transparent summing doesnt make a huge difference...its the colour then eq and other analogue processing that makes a difference...

1313 » Blog Archive » ITB/Analog summing experiment
Old 5th January 2011
ep1c0ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep1c0ne View Post
So what does the D2B LT offer that the DBox doesn't?
Anyone?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

The LT is a stripped down ver of the D-Bus

Quote:
The 2 Buss LT doesn't have the "+6" for each pair, and uses db25 connectors for the inputs, but has the exact same output amplifier, and a 2 mix level trim without detents. The Dangerous 2-BUS connects using all XLR ins and outs where the 2 Buss LT uses db25 connectors [multipin blocks] wired to Tascam standard... and the 2 mix level trim is just that... a final level trim for the output level of the 2 Buss.
Old 5th January 2011
ep1c0ne
Right, but what about DBox vs D2B LT? Does the D2B LT offer anything the DBox does not have?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

No.. Well , a cheaper price tag.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

d2b lt has 16 analog input of summing channels and that's it i believe

dbox has 8+2 analog and 2 stereo digital inputs with monitoring controls, and the DA on dbox iz very good
Old 5th January 2011
ep1c0ne
Well I'm talking about the D2B LT, not the D2B. It looks like it offers the same amount of I/O. If I do get a summing amp I'd rater get the DBox if it isn't lacking anything compared to the D2B LT.
Old 1st September 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
not sure...I think actual transparent summing doesnt make a huge difference...its the colour then eq and other analogue processing that makes a difference...

1313 » Blog Archive » ITB/Analog summing experiment
mate the differences in these shootouts were really REALLY subtle if there were any differences at all!!! i can feel that B was a little so very little wider than A and may be A's snares were a little oh very little more present, and thats it!!! if this is the difference between analog and ITB summing then screw it ill go ITB all the way!!!! what was really Funny and ironic though was the comments below the shootout, everybody was almost halucinating, 1 says B is ITB because it sounds harsh and clipping and narrow !!! another says the exact same things but on A !!! LOL theses people either know nothing about what they're talking about, or try to justify the hefty prices they paid for their 10-20 years old analog gear!!

i wont be exaggerating if i said almost EACH nad EVERY BLIND shoot-out i have heard between analog and ITB mixing-summing people put the same funny comments, one says A sound bigger warmer bla bla bla all this bull**** so it must be analog for sure, another says the same things about B so it has to be the analog one for sure!!!! and most of them end up liking the ITB shootout and when the person that did the shootout reveals that the winning file was the ITB file they start taking back what they said and like the other file more JUST BECAUSE THEY KNOW ITS THE ANALOG ONE NOW

i remember a shoot-out here on GS between Lynx Aurora 16 vs Behringer ADA8000 (i know this isn;t ITB/OTB comparison but just to prove my theory that people tend to like much expensive gear regardless of real life quality) and the difference were mine oh mine so SUBTLE !!! most of the comments leaned towards liking the behringer file !!!!!!!! ironic huh?!

Morale of the story is, does mixing and summing make a breakout record?? would a normal person or even a professional audio engineer recognize if a song was mixed ITB or OTB or in Protools or Cubase ???? no NO NO!!!! what makes a hit is the RECORDING itself, recording skills and TALENT are only what make a breakout HIT !! I believe that we OVERESTIMATE mixing-summing and UNDERESTIMATE recording so much these-days!

Thanks.
Old 1st September 2012
Lives for gear

Slate vcc emulates left/right crosstalk on the busses only.

Sknote Stripbus emulates interchannel crosstalk (optional) as well as the 'console' being driven and running out of headroom.

They do two different things, and I like both. Look forward to checking out Nebula - the AlexB demos sound smoother and more 'analog' to my ears than the vcc. CDSoundmaster also has some pretty rad programs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search