The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Really Weird ProTools 9 Error in Windows 7 64bit Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Really Weird ProTools 9 Error in Windows 7 64bit

I have a really bad problem in ProTools 9 on my windows 7 64 bit machine that reads

Could not complete your request because Assertion in "..\..\BDM\BDM_Workspace.cpp", line 1473.

I have tried everything. Deleting all databases and prefs, restarting the computer, restarting in safe mode, uninstalling and reinstalling Protools from scratch, it ALWAYS comes back to this error. It was working fine for about two weeks before this! What could have gone wrong? I have searched for error on google and found a digi page that said something about it but it was all in Japanese.

Avid - Assertion ... line in 1473

I can get PT to start if I uninstall it, then reinstall, then start up ProTools WITHOUT restarting my computer like it wants me to. If I restart the computer It does this thing where it registers digi services or something, and messes with the PACE driver and I usually get come error and just hit ok. This all happens before windows fully starts up.

I'm pretty lost on this one.. possibly a plugin issue? Maybe I will try starting it up without any plugins installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Have you updated your iLok drivers?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Hmmmm I just downloaded and installed the drivers but it seemed to be just updating to the same version I had. After a restart I am still getting the same error
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Do you use any Digi/Avid hardware? 002, 003, etc.?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I use an M-Audio ProjectMix I/O... blehh

My computer is based around an ASUS M2NE-SLI motherboard, and AMD Athlon X2 dual core @ 3.2ghz, I have 6gb of GSKILL DDR2-800mhz RAM. The video is an Nvidia 7200GT that was originally in a G4 or G5 mac haha.

Hopefully this helps a little bit?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Somebody on the HR forum was able to help me remedy this problem. Turns out all that I had to do was take the CD (just an Audio CD) out of my disc drive and then ProTools started up just like normal!

I can't believe that just an Audio Cd would upset ProTools this much but it did! Hopefully somebody will find this short thread useful in the future
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Head

thank you. had the same issue.
t
Old 2nd April 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

Thats crazy!! I wish I was not so used to PT because it sure is a picky little bit*h! This kind of stuff is ridiculous!
Old 2nd April 2011
Gear Head

try working with Reaper. I use both and after the Reaper learning curve I'm pretty equal even after being a PT power user for several years.

Reaper is $40 for a license and is faster/more efficient with system resources. It boots up in 2 seconds. Delay comp, no track limit, midi, everything you need.

get in to it.
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear

A friend of mine is on the fence right now between Cubase 6 and Protools 9 under Windows 7 x64.

He has had all can can stomach with Sonar X1 (his words not mine) and wants to move on.

I advised him that since most of his work is with VSTi Cubase 6 would be a better alternative because it is x64 bit and he will have access to the extra memory.

He is leaning toward PT9 because he believes the hype.

Correct me if I am wrong, but ADC only works up to a certain point and then you can't go any higher?
Also seems like you have to manually configure it?
Also it appears PT9 is extremely fussy with hardware.
What DAW these days has problems like that?
It's rare.

In PT9 favor, if he were collaborating with other studios or had a lot of clients he was recording live, with real instruments, PT9 would be a good choice.

He is a songwriter and arranger.
I tried to clue him into Reaper or Presonus Studio One which is excellent IMHO but he is one of those "have to have what others are using" types so it's Cubase or PT.

Any advice?
I haven't used PT in years and sold my Nuendo license as well.

He has an i7 system with a Midiman Delta something or other card and a Mackie MCU.
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samth3mancgp View Post
I have a really bad problem in ProTools 9 on my windows 7 64 bit machine that reads

Could not complete your request because Assertion in "..\..\BDM\BDM_Workspace.cpp", line 1473.

I have tried everything. Deleting all databases and prefs, restarting the computer, restarting in safe mode, uninstalling and reinstalling Protools from scratch, it ALWAYS comes back to this error. It was working fine for about two weeks before this! What could have gone wrong? I have searched for error on google and found a digi page that said something about it but it was all in Japanese.

Avid - Assertion ... line in 1473

I can get PT to start if I uninstall it, then reinstall, then start up ProTools WITHOUT restarting my computer like it wants me to. If I restart the computer It does this thing where it registers digi services or something, and messes with the PACE driver and I usually get come error and just hit ok. This all happens before windows fully starts up.

I'm pretty lost on this one.. possibly a plugin issue? Maybe I will try starting it up without any plugins installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Basically this is because Avid Pro Tools 9 should not be available on the market, because its currently in a pre-alpha condition. PT9 is by far the most crappy software I've used in a long time, so full of bugs it's really incredible. And I dumped it pretty quickly... My worst purchase ever...
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by samth3mancgp View Post
Somebody on the HR forum was able to help me remedy this problem. Turns out all that I had to do was take the CD (just an Audio CD) out of my disc drive and then ProTools started up just like normal!

I can't believe that just an Audio Cd would upset ProTools this much but it did! Hopefully somebody will find this short thread useful in the future
Did a simple CD drive eject solve the problem? Heh, that's hilarious. A software behaving like that should not be in the hands of a professional.
Old 18th June 2011
Here for the gear

Wow... I just had the same issue with PT9. I took the CD out and that solved it. Thanks for posting the solution. I'm sure it saved me a ton of time!
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat6061 View Post
Wow... I just had the same issue with PT9. I took the CD out and that solved it. Thanks for posting the solution. I'm sure it saved me a ton of time!
This is so so hilarious, people resolve their professional business by ejecting their CD drives. heh

As a result of putting professionals in the embarrassing spot above Avid Pro Tools 9 should get the lowest review ratings...
Old 25th June 2011
Lives for gear

I get this problem when my converters are turned off. Sometimes I forget to turn them on, and this error reminds me to turn them on. I'm guessing in my case it's because pro tools doesn't see the external clock I have it set to.

Also, unless you are using a digi interface, make sure that everything is right in the control panel of your audio interface
Old 9th October 2011
Here for the gear

Ha....

Seems that having an audio CD in the drive should not crash ProTools... but alas I too have solved the problem by taking Tool-Lateralus out of the disk drive.
Old 28th October 2011
Lives for gear

Thank God for this thread.... THANKYOU

An audio CD?!?!? What the hell??????? This thread saved me a lot of nonsense with re installation and who knows what else.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Thankgod for this thread !! Been pulling my hair out for the last 2 hours !!

Good old craptools !!

Cheers Clive
Old 6th August 2012
Here for the gear

yes

I had the same problem and it was also due to a Cd in the drive...strange
Old 6th August 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah this thread blew my mind. Was about to do the whole re-install thing. Seriously.....
Old 12th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Yeah this thread blew my mind. Was about to do the whole re-install thing. Seriously.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudebna View Post
I had the same problem and it was also due to a Cd in the drive...strange
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivek View Post
Thankgod for this thread !! Been pulling my hair out for the last 2 hours !!

Good old craptools !!

Cheers Clive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Thank God for this thread.... THANKYOU

An audio CD?!?!? What the hell??????? This thread saved me a lot of nonsense with re installation and who knows what else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm View Post
This is so so hilarious, people resolve their professional business by ejecting their CD drives. heh

As a result of putting professionals in the embarrassing spot above Avid Pro Tools 9 should get the lowest review ratings...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat6061 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgowdy View Post
thank you. had the same issue.
t

I'm really happy that this thread has been helpful to a bunch of people! Nothing upsets me more than these Digi Errors and Troubleshooting stuff. Hopefully all it takes is 1 google search, but in my case it didn't

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search