The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
audio interface+dyn/fx for film + T.V. music prod. Audio Interfaces
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

audio interface+dyn/fx for film + T.V. music prod.

Hi all!

This is my first post here. I have been reading this forum for ages -great forum- so finally I need to ask a couple of questions!

I need your help regarding selection of a good stable audio interface and a dynamics/FX setup for high quality home music production on a moderate but not cheap budget. My primary area of work will be composing and producing music for film, television and maybe games and advertising, +collaboration with vocalists, mainly for contemporary pop/rock and dance music type material.

My budget for the audio interface is around $1000 +/- a bit, and the dynamics and FX part maybe $800-$1000. Will software do the job or must I get hardware??? Software is more affordable and flexible so that would be my preference if possible.

My current set up includes a Mac Pro 2010 Nehalem 2.8 with 8 gig ram and 3 internal hard drives; one (soon to be two) Samsung 24" LED monitors; various musical instruments, soft synths, sample libraries and controllers (keys etc). I currently use Pro Tools 8 LE and Logic but am not an 'expert' user yet. I also play a couple of instruments myself.

Anyway, here is a short list of what I have been looking at.

Audio interface: RME Babyface (great for portable use as well but has some limitations)
RME FW 400 OR 400UC (VERY confused given the firewire vs usb in rme devices debate)
TC Electronic, MOTU ...etc ... is there a big advantage having an interface with DSP + plug ins??? I don't want to duplicate in this area if it costs more.

Dynamics+ FX stuff: software:

Waves... but going off waves for some reason...maybe because of these:
FabFilter
Softube
Cytomic (the glue)
2CAudio (Aether)

...and then there is UAD of course. Would like this but might get complicated if I want to use the same plug ins on a Mac laptop later (which I will)

I really need professional guidance here as I want to make some good decisions now as i begin a degree soon in sound design + film (double major degree course) and then I will be struggling for money to spend on gear. :-(

Perhaps it would be simpler to ask like this: What would you get if you were me? Suggest a package that YOU would get for a total of, say, $1500 up to $2000 !

Thanks in advance for all help/suggestions. I hope the above is not too confusing.
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

That went down well then! heh

Did I post in the wrong forum or were my questions just too much for one topic/post?
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

How about this then ... for a primarily in-the-box music composition/production set up, what would be the best available audio/midi interface up to around US $1000, +/- a few $$$ ? I need excellent sound and reliability.

I have looked at RME, but I am confused about whether Firewire or USB would be better in this brand given the amazing specs quoted for the USB devices.

I am open to suggestions/advice. I am on a Mac!

Thank you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search