The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steinberg support
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Steinberg support

So I tried posting on the new steinberg forum, and it seems they changed the logins to MySteinberg account. I tried logging in there, unsuccessfully, so I requested account data with my email address. I received an email with a password only. I tried using the password and my email in MySteinberg, and am still unable to login. I went to the support page to contact support, and find that I have to log in to MySteinberg to request support.

So I'm stuck. Anyone have any idea how to contact Steinberg support when unable to login to MySteinberg?
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

It's a bit pointless because from my experience even if you do manage to log in and submit a request it will be completely ignored by Steinberg. The forum is probably your best bet.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Well I figured out that there is a totally different page buried in the navigation to request the username. Request password or "user data" is on a different page. Sheesh.

All I was trying to do was get logged into the new forums. No support needs otherwise, other than to request plugin organization in Cubase!
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antilog View Post
Well I figured out that there is a totally different page buried in the navigation to request the username. Request password or "user data" is on a different page. Sheesh.

All I was trying to do was get logged into the new forums. No support needs otherwise, other than to request plugin organization in Cubase!
I did the same thing....went to Cubase forums and dead link....went to Steinberg and found the forums were all merged and moved.
I logged into the support page using MySteinberg account and then went to the forum page from there...turns out you have a new forum account!
Crazy....
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

And I try to reply to a topic, and get a blank page. Then try using a different browser, and can't get logged in.

Why do they have to make there customer facing systems so complicated? And their website is slooooow, and down altogether a couple times recently.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Now getting server errors. Unannounced maintenance? Do they announce at all via newsletter or twitter?
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
And I try to reply to a topic, and get a blank page. Then try using a different browser, and can't get logged in.

Why do they have to make there customer facing systems so complicated? And their website is slooooow, and down altogether a couple times recently.
I agree slow and terrible layout and design!
But if you think it's bad go try Native Instruments site....it's a total abomination and really sloooooooooooow!

It's a lot like the saying they used to use for the phone company years ago when they were a monopoly!

We don't care....we don't have to!

All of these big players get your money with apparently no shortage of hype and fools as customers....
Sit back, collect the dough, keep the hype going and worry about the details later...
New years resolution....not buying into the hype and wasting money on this crap!
Going back to 8 track!
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So I tried posting on the new steinberg forum, and it seems they changed the logins to MySteinberg account. I tried logging in there, unsuccessfully, so I requested account data with my email address. I received an email with a password only. I tried using the password and my email in MySteinberg, and am still unable to login. I went to the support page to contact support, and find that I have to log in to MySteinberg to request support.

So I'm stuck. Anyone have any idea how to contact Steinberg support when unable to login to MySteinberg?
Well.. it's a matter of reading

I found somewhere, can't remember where, but if I can find it so can you , that you have to login in your MySteinberg and set up a forum account in the menu on the left.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdieks View Post
Well.. it's a matter of reading

I found somewhere, can't remember where, but if I can find it so can you , that you have to login in your MySteinberg and set up a forum account in the menu on the left.
Maybe you misunderstood - I knew that I had to enter the forum through MySteinberg. The problem was that I could not get logged into my MySteinberg account in the first place, and when requesting "user data", I only got a password, and my email address didn't work as a username. After much clicking around, I found a different page for requesting a username.

I've worked with usability testers, and I don't think Steinberg cares about usability on their websites, nor performance.

To contrast, the reason I spend so much effort, is that Cubase has been a great DAW for me, and I've tried many. I'd like to give Steinberg feedback for improving their customer experience, and am interested in learning their process for integrating feature requests.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Maybe you misunderstood - I knew that I had to enter the forum through MySteinberg. The problem was that I could not get logged into my MySteinberg account in the first place, and when requesting "user data", I only got a password, and my email address didn't work as a username. After much clicking around, I found a different page for requesting a username.

I've worked with usability testers, and I don't think Steinberg cares about usability on their websites, nor performance.

To contrast, the reason I spend so much effort, is that Cubase has been a great DAW for me, and I've tried many. I'd like to give Steinberg feedback for improving their customer experience, and am interested in learning their process for integrating feature requests.
Ah ok, I misunderstood because you say they changed the logins to your mysteinberg account. I thought you meant they changed the logins to the forum because they didn't change my login to mysteinberg (ever). Sorry for that.

Maybe it's your password, some characters like the . are not allowed I think
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I can't get in there either, Steiny have fvcked it up big style, some folk have no trouble logging in, some have trouble logging in and the others now use Logic heh
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
...and the others now use Logic heh
...oh yeah.they're in for a treat,a'ight !
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I've been a long time denizen of the old Cubase Forum, and recently joined the new one. But not very many people have followed over from the old one for some reason. This could be due to one of two reasons: first, people have lost their username and password and their email has changed so they can't retrieve them; or, since access to the new Forum depends entirely on having a registered Steinberg product, a lot of crackheads now can't participate. tutt

And yes, the new Forum is slow and often down; same as the old Forum. I'm no IT guy, but could this be due to the cyber-distance from America to Germany? Given that NI is also slow? Because some claim it's because Steinberg use cheap servers for hosting; but that COULDN'T be true of progressive NI!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
And yes, the new Forum is slow and often down; same as the old Forum. I'm no IT guy, but could this be due to the cyber-distance from America to Germany? Given that NI is also slow? Because some claim it's because Steinberg use cheap servers for hosting; but that COULDN'T be true of progressive NI!
I've had the same thought...when I've gone to either site both just dog slow and ridiculous many times in frustration I just give up and move onto some other resource. Maybe Germany has a bottleneck to their server farms. GS always seems pretty spunky though, they're in the UK...right?

Sometimes I visualize weird guys sitting around in little smoke filled rooms with cheesy CRT screens and greasy keyboards writing stupid instrument code, drinking vodka or schnapps and laughing at Yanks blowing their wads on ridiculous graphics and DSP algorithms...who knows maybe they screen all the traffic into the country and tag all the incoming IP traffic for future economic warfare tracking...probably...who knows...

All I know is NI stuff is a kluge and neither Steinberg nor NI have very good customer service track records which apparently doesn't mean anything to them or the users....we the sheeple
Here's a clue....smart business model...get as much money out of you're customers up front cuz they ain't coming back for more!
They all wise up eventually and there's always another VW bus coming down the road!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
I've had the same thought...when I've gone to either site both just dog slow and ridiculous many times in frustration I just give up and move onto some other resource. Maybe Germany has a bottleneck to their server farms. GS always seems pretty spunky though, they're in the UK...right?

Sometimes I visualize weird guys sitting around in little smoke filled rooms with cheesy CRT screens and greasy keyboards writing stupid instrument code, drinking vodka or schnapps and laughing at Yanks blowing their wads on ridiculous graphics and DSP algorithms...who knows maybe they screen all the traffic into the country and tag all the incoming IP traffic for future economic warfare tracking...probably...who knows...

All I know is NI stuff is a kluge and neither Steinberg nor NI have very good customer service track records which apparently doesn't mean anything to them or the users....we the sheeple
Here's a clue....smart business model...get as much money out of you're customers up front cuz they ain't coming back for more!
They all wise up eventually and there's always another VW bus coming down the road!
The fun thing is that you read this very same story about apple, avid and cakewalk... but the grass is always greener right

Thing with most user problems is that AT LEAST 50% of all the problems with all the big DAWs are user errors. And those very same users that don't understand what they're doing themselves are the ones that shout the loudest that company X is sh*te..

I'm not pointing fingers to anyone BTW...
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Hmmm the words Steinberg and support just don't sound right together.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Hmmm the words Steinberg and support just don't sound right together.
I really dont understand why in this day and age someone needs support,at least for technical issues, from a company. From my experience it's been always faster to resolve issues using the beloved interweb.
Just sayin'...
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
I really dont understand why in this day and age someone needs support,at least for technical issues, from a company. From my experience it's been always faster to resolve issues using the beloved interweb.
Just sayin'...
I agree but I guess I'm talking about their over all attitude towards customers. They treat them like little kids imo.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
Just sayin'...
Their interweb doesn't work.... Could you recommend an alternative forum for Steinberg users?

I am trying to respond to a post on Steinberg forums, and get a blank page when logging in.

Still wonder why webhosting is such a difficult thing for them.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdieks View Post
The fun thing is that you read this very same story about apple, avid and cakewalk... but the grass is always greener right

Thing with most user problems is that AT LEAST 50% of all the problems with all the big DAWs are user errors. And those very same users that don't understand what they're doing themselves are the ones that shout the loudest that company X is sh*te..

I'm not pointing fingers to anyone BTW...
Well don't even get me started on the successful business model Apple has captured in the minds of the young and impressionable...it's almost Orwellian!
And PT/Avid whoever they are...wow...there's another great documentary on hype and product support....sorry I didn't include a disclaimer....to be honest 95% is user error because the code has been logically debugged, released and certified.
I own both Cubase and NI....and so it's a love/hate scenario like a bad husband or wife...and ya I know I'm being really sarcastic...but isn't this a great place to vent?
And trust me I know exactly what I'm doing and I'm trying not to point any fingers either! LOL
Old 3rd January 2011
please do not start any businessmodel talk in the "how to login to my steinberg account" thread. thanx.

what about going to the cubendo forum? seems like a lot of people were pissed with the official forum and made a new one (if I am right.. please correct me if I am wrong)..
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
please do not start any businessmodel talk in the "how to login to my steinberg account" thread. thanx.

what about going to the cubendo forum? seems like a lot of people were pissed with the official forum and made a new one (if I am right.. please correct me if I am wrong)..
I think were done here....at least I am...sorry George!
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
I think were done here....at least I am...sorry George!
don't know what you mean... but please explain yourself.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Give them a call. But where's the number you say?

This what I did when I couldn't the authorization code for an old version of le. I called one of the "place your order for a product" numbers. Somebody picked up on the first ring. I wonder why

I just started talking like I thought it was the support line. Guy quickly gave me the number I was looking for.

Give it a try. May still work.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

NI: If you go to their home page and have to wait for all their Kompelte products to load...yeah it's way slow. If you bookmark NI pages you visit frequently I haven't detected any problems at all. I go to the software updates, forums, and user libraries pretty often. I have never experienced any issues.

Steinberg: I have only used them twice recently, and both times they got back to me within a couple days. In a nutshell, if you live in the USA you are stuck submitting a email where they promise to contact you. As I said in my experience they have followed through. However it would be much nicer to simply call them and get a reply wouldn't it? Unfortunately few large software audio developers have decent technical support anymore.

I give praise to Universal Audio because a human answers the support phone and transfers you to another human who actually can answer your questions. I also give praise to Phillipe the creator of Wavelab as he is very good about answering questions in the Steinberg Wavelab forum.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, my numerous dealings with MOTU have been horrible. They act belligerent, bored, and have never been helpful solving any issues.

I have always thought a STICKY here at Gearslutz "Good & Bad Support" might put a bit of pressure on developers to get their act together.

By the way if you live in most other countries outside the USA you can still contact Steinberg directly.
Old 3rd January 2011
Try Steinberg's Cubase | Facebook and see if they can point you in the right direction?
Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

I have tried to post to the forum as well and only get a blank page. Sometimes there isn't even an option for a new topic!

If I was starting over... I would pick a different software package based on how horrible Steinberg support is. I'm just not ready to start learning a new way of doing things.

The more I think about it, it's unbelievable how bad their support truly is...and their horrible dongle system... Not sure why I have to go through hell while crack users have a hell of a lot more freedom with their software. I guess it's the no good deed goes unpunished rule...
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFix View Post
If I was starting over... I would pick a different software package based on how horrible Steinberg support is. I'm just not ready to start learning a new way of doing things.

The more I think about it, it's unbelievable how bad their support truly is...and their horrible dongle system... Not sure why I have to go through hell while crack users have a hell of a lot more freedom with their software. I guess it's the no good deed goes unpunished rule...
I just started leaning on Steinberg support a lot this year after getting an MR816, though I've been a cubase user for years. Whenever I write support, they promise to get back within 48 hours and they do. When I reply, they get back in a couple, rinse and repeat...Maybe my expectations are low, but this seems ok to me.

The forums on the other hand are a mess...but that seems more driven by people complaining about this or that and never confirming whether they actually have a legit copy of a product + the nightmare that was Windows Vista.

I haven't been on there since they started the new forum or whatever, but their customer service hasn't been any worse than any other large company and in many cases, it's been better. Ownership transfer is always a litmus test for me and I was shocked to see how big a problem it is for other companies (avid, waves, IK, et al).

By the look on the old forums, it seemed like Steinberg HAD TO HAVE bad service...but on the other hand, what are the chances that I'm the special case getting the info and help that I need?

Btw, I've never seen a crack of Cubase that was 100% functional in my experience- BSOD, plugins not working, midi errors...cracked DAWs are never, ever worth it.

In any case, hope you get your problem solved...why not try here on GS?
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

So the forums are down now, along with the whole MySteinberg system (support, keys, forums) for maintenance, with no notification via newsletter, twitter, facebook, etc, no ETA.

I'm definitely not switching software over it, since the only "issue" I have is a feature request, for which I found an acceptable workaround.

I find the forum more valuable for the tips and tricks, methods, etc. Cubase and Wavelab work rock solid for me.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Steinberg has support?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search