The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Win7x64 Hangs on Initialization Intermittently
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

I just installed a W7x64 on a PC that I have been running WinXP SP2 on for a while. I installed on a new blank OS hard drive. I have the P35 Intel Chipset motherboard with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor. I also installed PT 9 plus the ProTools complete Virtual Instrument pack, a UAD-2 Quad card and some more plugins as well as Sound Forge Ver 8 abd CD Architech.

Sometime Win7 will hang just after it says "Starting Windows" and the 4 color windows insignia display. It just hangs with no hard drive activity or anything. The most shutdown/start cycles that I have been able to do is 4 successfully. Usually it will come up and shut down one time and the next time, hang on initialization.

I have downloaded the most current drivers from the manufactures websites and everything in "Device Manager" says is working fine. The original manufacture of my PC logged into my machine to make sure the Windows tweaks were done correctly.

I have been working on this problem for days and I'm running out of ideas. The guy that built my PC the first time (WinXP) feels that I have some incompatibilities with my motherboard, my hardware and Win7x64 and is recommending that I buy a new motherboard, CPU, DDR3 RAM, Video card and power supplay and I keep my box and hard drives.

Since I'm one for doing something after having definitive exidence, I just don't want to throw money at a problem. Can anyone give me some advice so I can try to get to the bottom of this??

It would be nice if I got an error message or something that would point me in a direction.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

make sure bios is set to ACHI mode (hardrives)
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks for the response. I think when I looked, it was set to RAID. What is the reason to be set AHCI?
Old 1st January 2011
nms
Lives for gear

You're not running a raid array are you? AHCI=Advanced Host Controller Interface.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Not running RAID. If I set to anything other than RAID, Windows fails to load earlier than my current failure.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Got up really early this morning to do a complete re-build of my OS and PT installation. Since I didn't want to do a complete rebuild if I could avoid it, I did some more testing. I found out that if I shut my Digi003 down when Win initialization hangs, the OS comes right up. Then everything functions perfectly.

My gut tells me there is a problem with the 003 driver because this problem only happens after multiple shut down/restart cycles of my computer without "power on resetting" the 003 (system reset clear).

I wonder if there is something that the programmer didn't reset in the 003 driver that is causing this problem. Just a gut feel since I have been a programmer for 25+ years and fixed many bugs where buffers in the code weren't reset, creating random results and failures.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Is the 003 able to use Win7's new native firewire driver, or did you have to use the "Legacy" driver? (check your firewire device in task manager and report what's listed)
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

I don't remember what Windows did on setup, if I remember right, the guy who initially built my computer, when it was XP, had me set those to Legacy on Tuesday. He gave me a little help while rebuilding my PC. He said Legacy is what I needed and I don't remember why.

Could it be because of my mother board that he told me to use Legacy?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search