The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need help, is this a conversion/clock or cpu error?
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

Need help, is this a conversion/clock or cpu error?

I have been unable to solve a clicking/popping problem with my system for quite a while now. When I record a kick drum (for example), there are clicks and pops immediately after the kick. They are recorded and visible in the waveform. Here is my setup:

Allen and Heath Zed R16 firewire
Cubase 5.5
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
MSI X58M 1366 Motherboard
i7 920
Siig firewire card (TI chipset)
Asus HD5450 1gb video card (Ati)
6 Gb 1333 Corsair Memory
500 Gb 7200 rpm Seagate system drive
500 Gb 7200 rpm Seagate audio drive

I read every post regarding clicks and pops and did everything recommended. Changed bios setting, chaged video cards, added the firewire card, upgraded RAM, etc.. I've tried 44.1 and 48k sessions and used every buffer setting, nothing helps. I bought a Focusrite saffire pro 14 to see if it was a board issue and it did the same thing! I'm assuming it's a cpu problem, but could it be the Zed R16? Here are a couple links to recorded kicks with the pops. If anyone could download them, check out the waveform and give me some ideas I'd greatly appreciate it.

http://members.cox.net/cmatyus/music/click1.wav
http://members.cox.net/cmatyus/music/clicktest.wav
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

did you download DPC latency checker?
Old 1st January 2011
Deleted #157546
Sounds as if it could be an issue within cubase. Have you contacted steinberg?
Old 1st January 2011
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
Sounds as if it could be an issue within cubase. Have you contacted steinberg?
You can try setting your buffers higher too...see if this solves this issue. (Even though I'm sure you've tried everything.)

I couldn't really get a good idea from your samples...since they were so short, but it doesn't sound like a clocking issue. (Just my experience)
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

forgot to mention I tried pro tools 9 and got the same result. I figured someone could load the wav file and scrub over the click. the zed has a dpc latency checker, with my ram upgrade it reads between 12 and 20 us. I'll download the other one also.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search