The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digi 002 Not connecting/ NO RELAY Clicks Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

Digi 002 Not connecting/ NO RELAY Clicks

Hey guys I got a major problem! My Digi 002 has stopped connecting. I did the new harness install a couple years ago and it worked fine. Now the thing is doing similar symptoms but alittle different.

When turning on, I am getting NO relays to click, at first I got 2 clicks but no third, now I am getting NO clicks at all! the mute light comes on and will not go off when clicked, and NO sample lights. am I dealing with the same harness problem again or is this something different?

Thanks a million
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Same power harness issue, I had the same as you describe a few months back
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

yup - sounds like the harness again.

Cripes I hope this doesn't happen to me again - last time was on a remote gig, and stopped the recording session till I could get to a retail shop and rent a spare.

Let's hope they honour it as another 'free' repair: seeing as it's a known problem they 'should' send a replacement free of charge.

I guess now is the time to UG to PT 9 and ditch the cheap digi HW...

Good luck with it!
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

The problem is the power supply.

Upgrade the crappy power supply and replace the old power harness and you'll never have that problem again. Mine's been running perfectly since I upgraded the power supply like 6 years ago.

Before that and during the first year of owning it, I went through 2 power harnesses!

Funny story, around 2003... The 2nd and last time I had the power harness fail. I had a rock band ready to go and was about to hit record, when the 002 starts clicking...

I temporarily switched the Digi 002 power harness with one from an extra 002 Rack. I had no clue if it was gonna work or not, but it was worth a shot. Well, aside from the faders not working, the rec session ran smoothly and the 002 worked just fine.

The band was cool as sh*t... some guys just played a few hands of poker while I changed it up.

But, the singer/guitarist went outside and caught a freaking real live bat with leather gloves on and walked around with it cupped in his hand like it was a pet bird. I'm not making this up.

-Bruno
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for the responses guys! I got it fixed! It was the power harness again!!!!!!

Just cleaned the connectors (male and female) with some good ole fast dry electric contact cleaner.

Fired right back up and took me less than 10 minutes to do.
Old 6th February 2011
Here for the gear

Okay, well this will probably go in the dumb question category, but I'm just now having this problem, and I'm not exactly sure what to remove to clean the contacts. Anyone have a photo or explanation on what exactly to do? Glad to know this is a common problem and that I might not have to completely freak out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th February 2011
Gear Maniac

My buddy has 2 002 consoles with this problem. He's taken them apart and cleaned the contacts multiple times and it's always a temporary fix. Anyone know of a more permanent solution, other than getting a new interface?
Old 6th February 2011
Gear Addict

Yes.

Read my post above.

The last time the power harness went, I asked Digidesign for a new one and also a new power supply. Replacing both fixed it permanently.

The new power supply was way bigger than the original one... that's about all I remember when I switched them out.

-Bruno
Old 7th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks Bruno, I did read your post.

How much did Digi charge for the two parts?
Old 7th February 2011
Gear Addict

It was still under warranty. Free.

-Bruno
Old 7th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately both my buddy's 002s are not under warranty as he bought one of them used and acquired the second from a friend.

Anyone know how much Digi charges for the harness and a replacement power supply?
Old 22nd February 2011
Here for the gear

Ok...i deleted my last post and am adding this to the forum...

Received a message from Avid and they are now letting everyone know to go through the avid authorized repair peeps instead of waiting out the tech support. Here is the message I received...

"You can now place your request for the harness through any Avid Authorized Repair Center, the cost $20.00. For a list of ARC’s please see:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=210711"

That's it. Worked great for me. 002 is running without problems now.
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

with what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno B View Post
The problem is the power supply.

Upgrade the crappy power supply and replace the old power harness and you'll never have that problem again. Mine's been running perfectly since I upgraded the power supply like 6 years ago.

Before that and during the first year of owning it, I went through 2 power harnesses!

Funny story, around 2003... The 2nd and last time I had the power harness fail. I had a rock band ready to go and was about to hit record, when the 002 starts clicking...

I temporarily switched the Digi 002 power harness with one from an extra 002 Rack. I had no clue if it was gonna work or not, but it was worth a shot. Well, aside from the faders not working, the rec session ran smoothly and the 002 worked just fine.

The band was cool as sh*t... some guys just played a few hands of poker while I changed it up.

But, the singer/guitarist went outside and caught a freaking real live bat with leather gloves on and walked around with it cupped in his hand like it was a pet bird. I'm not making this up.

-Bruno
What Power Supply alternative is is available? Power seems to be getting to PSU card on my 002R , but nothing on other side.. is there an alternate supply. I cant even find a schematic to get supply voltages off of
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

I'm now suffering this. I'm primed to order a power loom from the UK service company for Avid (not too bad really- £20 plus vat plus delivery). Unit was working fine for years- up until last night.

I'm guessing I've not fried the FW board as- a) I haven't hot plugged it and b) the FW connection light works correctly on the back of the unit- ie lit when the cable is plugged in and unlit when I switch on without the cable connected.

I think I'll try a new FW cable first and double check the card is seated securely in the PC. I've already given the power loom contacts a clean- to be honest, they didn't look too bad to me- no obvious corrosion/marks on the connectors on the board.

Thankfully, you guys are all here and it's a know problem. Just got some money to get new gear and I didn't want to use it replacing a dead interface....
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Aaargh, my digi 002r has exactly these symptoms. I opened it up and sprayed contact cleaner on all the wiring harness connectors, and it didn't fix the problem. I've done it about 3 times just now and it still isn't working :(
I'd just wait and order a new wiring harness andpower supply, but a band I'm working with need a mix for a release by tomorrow...
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Update: a little while after cleaning the contacts, the relays still don't click and buttons on the front still don't work, but the sample rate light does come on, after a bit of a blink, and ProTools recognises the 002 and can open a session and mix something down. Although I can't hear anything. I don't know if its a power supply issue or not.
Old 25th June 2014
Here for the gear

I have a digi 002 rack also. Mines wont connect. IT keeps saying hw is in use
Ive had it running before i moved and unhooked everything. I sdet it back up and its doing this now. Any idea whats going on?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search