The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help on upgrading Soundcard DSP Audio Systems
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

Help on upgrading Soundcard

hey my delta 66 is acting really funny. giving me all kinds of noise on the playback after I hooked up a new video card to run dual display. even after I took out the video card I still get random bursts of electrical feedback. I did about a billion hours of research on the net and kinda figured its the IRQ messing with the audio return.even after reinstalling windows 7 32 bit It is still occasionally happening, I've had it about 2-3 years so I guess its finally going out. but i'm totally threw with trying to fix it, you got any suggestions for an upgrade? Im mainly looking for a soundcard and not an interface that attempts to be a studio in a box because I plan to expand to alot of outboard audio gear ... lemme know wasup and here is my current setup (I only plan to record mono (maybe stereo) tracks for the foreseeable future)

AKG C414 -->
Presonus MP20 w/ Jensens burners and TI opamps -->
Triple C Compressor (For ADC) --->
M-Audio Delta 66 (which I need your help replacing) --->
Windows 7 32bit (will stay 32bit until focusrite liquidmix gets 64 drivers)
M-Audio DSM2 for monitor (They have digital ins so I dont need DAC)

Thanx in advance!!! Oh, and a poor man likes to buy used gear, I have about $1000 to spend.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

If you have $1000.00 to spend, save up another $200.00 and pick up an RME FireFace UC. You can give me a pat on the back later.
Old 1st January 2011
Deleted #157546
Assuming you have a PCIe 1x slot.

With those requests, I would go with this.

MOTU 2408 Core MkIII PCIe | Sweetwater.com
Old 1st January 2011
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrix View Post
If you have $1000.00 to spend, save up another $200.00 and pick up an RME FireFace UC. You can give me a pat on the back later.

A USB interface is NOT what he wants. And I wouldn't pat you on the back for that suggestion anyway.
Old 1st January 2011
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoah View Post
hey my delta 66 is acting really funny. giving me all kinds of noise on the playback after I hooked up a new video card to run dual display. even after I took out the video card I still get random bursts of electrical feedback. I did about a billion hours of research on the net and kinda figured its the IRQ messing with the audio return.even after reinstalling windows 7 32 bit It is still occasionally happening, I've had it about 2-3 years so I guess its finally going out. but i'm totally threw with trying to fix it, you got any suggestions for an upgrade? Im mainly looking for a soundcard and not an interface that attempts to be a studio in a box because I plan to expand to alot of outboard audio gear ... lemme know wasup and here is my current setup (I only plan to record mono (maybe stereo) tracks for the foreseeable future)

AKG C414 -->
Presonus MP20 w/ Jensens burners and TI opamps -->
Triple C Compressor (For ADC) --->
M-Audio Delta 66 (which I need your help replacing) --->
Windows 7 32bit (will stay 32bit until focusrite liquidmix gets 64 drivers)
M-Audio DSM2 for monitor (They have digital ins so I dont need DAC)

Thanx in advance!!! Oh, and a poor man likes to buy used gear, I have about $1000 to spend.
Just as a side note:

If your going to get EXCLUSIVELY for just a sound card...then your going to go over your budget getting the necessary AD/DA. (Unless you go with a Behringer converter. Still 300 bucks though.)
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
A USB interface is NOT what he wants. And I wouldn't pat you on the back for that suggestion anyway.
Unless I'm WAY off, a Fireface is not a USB interface, but a Firewire interface -- hence the name "Fireface."

You don't have to pat ME on the back for this slight correction, however
Old 2nd January 2011
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
Unless I'm WAY off, a Fireface is not a USB interface, but a Firewire interface -- hence the name "Fireface."

Your way off. The UC interface that was recomended is USB.
Old 2nd January 2011
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post

Here ya go!

RME: Fireface UC
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo86 View Post
Pardon me. Let me myself as well. I was lazy and only read half the post. No pat on the back for me. Anyway, I would still recommend looking into RME products if you're in the 1k range.
Old 2nd January 2011
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrix View Post
Pardon me. Let me myself as well. I was lazy and only read half the post. No pat on the back for me. Anyway, I would still recommend looking into RME products if you're in the 1k range.

I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

To the op: There are lot of great interfaces, just make sure you do a lot of research...of course by posting here your obviously doing that.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Addict

Thx for all the replys. Unbeknownst to me GS doesnt tell you when people reply to your posts. Maybe I need to change my settings.

Anyway, I Still have the delta 66 and whenever the static comes I restart the computer, which is pretty lame. I took out the other pci video card that I was using for dual monitors and that helped a lot.
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

If you do not clean out the computer, how do you expect adding more **** to the pile to help?

Re-installing to the same computer (with previous versions of Windows) did not clear out the computer unless you performed as reformat of the hard drive. I can't tell you about Win7/32.

Re-installing Windows is usually not the problem solver, as the retained information on the drive duplicates the problem for you when you re-install.

If the problem occurred when you installed a new video card, and remains though the card is gone, then there are remnants of the card drivers or control application in your computer; or something has happened to the computer while installing or uninstalling the card; or something has happened to your sound card or some other part of the situation.

Solve the problem before you add to it.

Personal opinion from past experience: I would never use a MOTU product with a PC.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Addict

Ya I reinstalled windows 7 and put the 64 bit but that didn't help, so I reinstalled windows 7 32bit since my liquid mix doesn't work on 64bit. That didn't work neither. I am positive it was the video card because that was when it started.

Needless to say I plan on getting a new sound card I just can't decide which one. I really don't want to get an all in one sound card because I won't need all of the extra stuff. All I need to do is get spdf in and out. Any suggestions?
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo86

Just as a side note:

If your going to get EXCLUSIVELY for just a sound card...then your going to go over your budget getting the necessary AD/DA. (Unless you go with a Behringer converter. Still 300 bucks though.)
I have a tc electronic triple c compressor that I use for adc conversion, and m audio dsm2's for monitoring and they have spdfs in. So all I would need is get digital in and out with the least amount of lag. I have a USB keyboard that i can't use because the delay is so horrible. Any suggestions thx!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search