The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Midi In Logic
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Midi In Logic

I am trying to setup a couple of software instruments in Logic
Specifically a drum kit and a string section.

Now, I'd like to use two samplers on two different tracks: one drum kit and one string section.

However, I'd like to have three or more tracks for each sampler, each with an individual fader.
This way I'll be able to record one bit at a time, for instance kick, then snare, then cymbal etc.
It will also allow me to mix the different elements of the drum kit or string section.

But I simply cant find a way to do this in logic.

In protools, it is straigt forward: You create as many midi tracks as you need, and then assign each output individually.
Any software instrument that is loaded on any track, will show up on the list of outputs on the midi tracks.

But It doesn't seem to work that way in Logic, you don't have the option of creating midi tracks (except external)
I can create a multi-timbral instrument track, which allows me to record separately, but it still doesn't allow me to adjust the faders individually, nor does it show the tracks faders in the mixer window

Appreciate any help
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Going from memory here with nothing in front of me, and don't know the official terminology, but it goes something like this:

When you create a new track, it asks you if you want it multi-timbral or not and how many tracks. That will control how many tracks in the arrange window... so you can set each to a different midi channel and each has it's own window to open to edit MIDI.

This is how I do strings, for instance. Cello, violin, bass, viola each have their own track in arrange, so I can easily edit their midi only. Each is set to the same instrument, but different midi channel... as assigned within the instrument. In Kontakt, for instance, I'll open up within Kontakt's master window, a new instrument, and assign it to the next midi channel.

So that's your input.

As for output, it will default to everything out of a single output. When you first assigned the instrument, you will have had a choice of mono, stereo, or multitimbral. Choose the multitimbral version you want, and there is a + button somewhere on the mixer channel for that instrument. Each time you press it, you get a new fader. If everything is set up correctly, you shuld be able to pull down the appropriate output from that multitimbral instrument as the input for that fader.

Hope that helps.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Trav,

I notice this is the 2nd post you've made on Logic today?

Maybe you should check out here: Logic Pro Help Forum

It's a great resource that will have you up and running in no time.

Warning: They will probably first tell you to read the manual... And THEN help! heh

R.
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Thanx guys

I've got it

I didn't select multi outputs on the plugin.
After that I could create extra aux tracks and point them to individual outputs.
I also had to change the setup in the plugin.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict

You do this in the "Track" collum of the menu in the arrange window (not program menu bar!). "create new track for this chanel strip/instrument" or
something like this.

There are other ways of manually linking an arrange track to an environment object, but the above mentioned is the easiest way.

All tracks will share one fader though. You need to set up multiple outputs for your plug in. This is a bit too complicated in Logic to explain here, sorry.

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search