The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warmth... what can I do to add analogue warmth to my digital setup for under $1000? Saturation Plugins
Old 4th January 2011
nms
Lives for gear

I put my Virus Ti2 in the oven last week at 145 degrees... it was so warm I had to use oven mitts.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
One entirely free solution, if you're using Logic, is to set aside a couple of days to do nothing but experiment with Logic's own plug-ins.

Play around with EQ. On synths, you can roll off a lot of top-end, and boost a lot of low-end, if you're brave enough to. Make sure you take off any of the stock effects Logic brings up and adds whenever you add a stock synth plug-in.

I find Logic's Opto and FET compressors impart a degree of "tapeyness" (particularly on vocals).

Add some distortion. I like Logic's Distortion II plug, set to either "Bitey" or "Growl". Or Bitcrusher (which I'm increasingly using on all drums and synths these days...)

Oh, Tape Echo is another useful one of course.

You could spend quite a lot of time just messing around with a chain of those elements in a channel, rearranging the order of the chain (very easy to do in Logic) and tweaking levels, until you come up with your own personal 'special recipe' for warmth/analogue type sound.
+1
check here Logic Pro Help :: View topic - Logic's hidden tape distortion plug
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Maniac

mcdsp's analog channel

ac1 on your channel strips
ac2 on your master

= happy
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Softube CL1B. So warm that you don't need any heating anymore.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Get a tape machine and track to that first, then dump digital. ATR tape is amazing, relatively cheap, and can be used over and over again with low noise. I tried a lot of different stuff when I was trying to get a "warmer" digital sound but ultimately tracking everything to tape first then dumping digital got me where I wanted to be.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Every warmth wanter should listen that Fate compressor (Neve) shootout on youtube. Now that's what I call very very very close to analog sound. Can't remember the address ATM. I remember it's done by analoginthebox
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

It's not a plugin I'll recommend: Overstayer compressor (w mod). I'm finding it highly addictive for instruments as well as mixes needing some special 'sauce'.

You'll thank me later...
Old 5th January 2011
Be careful boosting the highs. Things sound "digital" to me when the high end is to shrill.
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Head

Sorry for resurecting this but I can't help but to point something out ...

Quote:
"OR.. should I look at a two channel pre-amp (valve?) which would help warm up vocals (mono) but could also be used to record the piano (which I record through two Rode NT1As)"
Rode NT1As are more likely the source of the harshness that you want to "warm up" than the digitial medium. I've used those mics and can't say I was thrilled. They sound brittle and I'd consider them mostly unusable except for maybe in a creative and experimental way.

I've got a few other Rode mics that I'm happy with (most notably the K2) but those NT1As are doorstops.

Old 9th August 2011
Gear Head

Oh.

And just so I don't leave things on a negative. (hippy parents)

Here's an affordable suggestion that does the trick:

TL Audio 5052 - 2-Channel Tube Processor

Plenty of warmth and functionality.
Old 9th August 2011
restpause
Use a wide Low Shelf EQ and boost a bit and use Low Pass Filter if you like on the upper end. Seriously, it's simple things that make a difference if you know how to use the tools.
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Learn to use the tools that you have. Don't look for a magic bullet to fix bad tracking.
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Start with cuts and roll offs (actually it helps to think this way when choosing mikes and tracking). Analog does this naturally. This is one big difference between analog and digital.
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

Whenever there is a thread on adding warmth, anyone who makes the usual jokes about putting stuff in ovens, heaters etc...should be instant ban
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

Get a single channel BAE 1073 MP and track everything through it . This will give you a nice musically sound . The Hi end is there but not s***** , good depth and low end . Amazing sounding , will make a big difference
Old 11th August 2011
Gear Addict

Ribbon microphones!
Old 12th August 2011
restpause
Try running some instruments thru a good audio transformer. This will emulate some consoles a bit.
Old 12th August 2011
Gear Head

use eq.

Type DSP Analog Tube into google and use a plugin.

More importantly use your ears and experience.

You can do this for way less than $1000.
Old 12th August 2011
Gear Nut

I tend to favour ribbons, dynamics and tube condensers through Neve-ish pres, and always record at 96k. At mixdown, I use Decapitator on everything but not so much for distortion, more for character. The high and low pass controls combined with a simple tone knob make it pretty quick and easy to dial it in then I add an EQ if needed, nearly always a Waves API 550B. I am extremely happy with my ITB mixes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search