The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Pro Insert Order Ribbon Microphones
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Logic Pro Insert Order

I've been reading the discussion on here about proper gain staging in the digital mixing environment and the idea of putting a Gain insert on each channel to allow for proper headroom with subsequent plug ins.

I just opened up the Lily Allen demo project, The Fear, to have a look and listen. I noticed that each channel has the Gain insert on it but they have it at the bottom most insert slot.

I guess I've always assumed the top most insert slot was the 1st in line.

Am I mistaken or is there a particular reason for putting the Gain plug last, which seems to contradict what I've been reading on this forum so far?
Old 1st January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugscoe View Post
I've been reading the discussion on here about proper gain staging in the digital mixing environment and the idea of putting a Gain insert on each channel to allow for proper headroom with subsequent plug ins.

I just opened up the Lily Allen demo project, The Fear, to have a look and listen. I noticed that each channel has the Gain insert on it but they have it at the bottom most insert slot.

I guess I've always assumed the top most insert slot was the 1st in line.

Am I mistaken or is there a particular reason for putting the Gain plug last, which seems to contradict what I've been reading on this forum so far?
No you were correct. I am guessing their thought process was along the lines of "how can we know how much Gain we want to add/subtract until it has gone through the FX?"

Kind of like a makeup on a compressor.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

just guessing but possible the audio files themselves were not recorded loud (nearing zero, but around -18 -+), so having it 1st in the chain wouldn't be as crucial maintaining proper gain into plugs
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

A lot of times I'll insert the gain last as an overall volume adjustment after I've done lots of automation. Say, I've spent an hour automating a vocal ride, but now I want the whole thing 1db louder. I just slap the gain in the last spot and add a db.

On the other hand if I'm using a compressor that doesn't have an input control I might put the gain in the top slot to adjust the incoming signal.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugscoe View Post
workaround to deliver vocals up,down for mastering in Logic
in PT HD you would use VCA faders
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

You can shift select the whole automation and raise it or lower it. You can also set output to a bus and adjust it there.
Old 2nd January 2011
Wouldn't it be easier to Command+drag on the yellow bar than to shift+select the volume automation and pull it down.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Yes it is, but people need to command click on the first node right at the track start.
Old 2nd January 2011
Why would you need to do that?

Simply Command + drag on the yellow bar, as shown in my video here:

http://www.popmusic.dk/temp/automation-all-change.mov

Only takes a second to do and grabs all the visible automation in one go, including the first node.
Old 2nd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post

Only takes a second to do and grabs all the visible automation in one go, including the first node.
Score, Lagerfeldt 1, phas3d 0
Old 2nd January 2011
Heh heh, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or anything, just trying to help out.
Old 2nd January 2011
Quote:
Heh heh, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or anything, just trying to help out.
I know and I am just teasing our fellow certified trainer Henri in a friendly way, since I know him to be very knowledgeable.

I have an attack of that kind of brain flatulence at least twice weekly
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

True. Always did at the first node, but you can do it both ways.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

That's brilliant, thank you...
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Guys, thanks for the replies. It makes perfect sense now.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search