The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can you get a plug in to change your track recording
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

Is it possible for a plug in to actually change what is recorded onto the drive? e.g. I put a noise gate on the channel so it was rejecting the BG noise from the room. Hit the record button. Then when I listened back with the plug in bypassed the BG noise had been recorded. My overall idea was to use a channel strip to adjust the sound on the way in, some eq, light compression , noise gate. Then take the plug in off after. Is this possible? Is this advisable? I know its said that you should not eq and comp to much while tracking , as you can't change it back afterwards. What say you?
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

It is better to record unaffected. You can always tweak the plug-in later. If it is recorded and you make a mistake, you can't undo it. So just activate the plug-in and leave it as it is.
Old 31st December 2010
RiF
Lives for gear

This does not make any sense, so it's technically not supported.
If you want to permanently print the plugin's processing to a track, just bounce/print/mixdown/record it (depending on how your DAW names this function) to a new take and you have what you want.
Still, I don't understand why you would want to do that. What's the benefit of having the plugin's processing printed onto the track instead of leave the plugin instantiated on the track and do it's thing? Do you want to free up CPU or DSP-resources? Do you want to send this track over to someone else who does not have the same plugin available?
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

Both to save a bit of dsp and a plug in slot. Also to even out some high level transients. Vocalists with an wide dynamic range and bad mic technique come to mind. But I figured it would be a "no go".
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

Have two audio tracks and an aux. The main audio track bus through an aux (with effect inserts) and output to the 2nd audio track.

Obviously make sure both audio tracks are record enabled.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

In Logic you can create an aux track with the desired input and select a bus on the output and don't forget to insert the plug-in on that track. Then set the audio track input to the bus you selected. But remember, once it's recorded you can't tweak it anymore. You can only record again.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodski View Post
Both to save a bit of dsp and a plug in slot. Also to even out some high level transients. Vocalists with an wide dynamic range and bad mic technique come to mind. But I figured it would be a "no go".
If it clips it will clip before the plugin so the plugin will not help.
If you're having problems with DSP power and slots,record it without any plugins,do the necessary tweaks and render that to disc. That way you can both have your cake and eat it.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
whether it's a good idea or not, setting up an aux track will make this possible.

I haven't tried this, but I thought it was possible without an aux setup to make yourself a channel strip for tracking into, at least in Cubase. Monitoring latency could be an issue however.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

as he said ^^

and recording processing down isnt such a bad thing as some posters are making out. sometimes its good to make a decision and move on.. instead of wasting time changing your mind.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

I tried it with the aux method yesterday and that did the job. I was just wondering if there was a little box somewhere deep in PT 8 that I couldn't find. Thanks for all your input , ( no pun intended ).
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Both to save a bit of dsp and a plug in slot.
Fair enough, how many slots do you have ? Seems a little unnecessary

Quote:
Also to even out some high level transients. Vocalists with an wide dynamic range and bad mic technique come to mind.
Worth doing if you have an outboard comp but pointless ITB as it wont protect clipping / overloading the convertors - just turn the gain down.

Quote:
and recording processing down isnt such a bad thing as some posters are making out. sometimes its good to make a decision and move on.. instead of wasting time changing your mind.
Agree with this but these weren't his reasons, also you can just make your decisions & stick to them if - you can choose not to change any settings if you don't want to ( ie using plugs doesn't mean you have to change stuff later )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search