The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Accessing Plugins from External Hard Drive
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Accessing Plugins from External Hard Drive

Hello all,
I've been recording for about a year in my humble home studio and just got a 500 gig external hard drive to utilize for recording. I used to record on my old HP desktop (1 gig of ram, lol) but now am using my Macbook Pro for recording. I've heard it is wise to record to an external HD.

That being said, I have created and saved all of my Reaper recording sessions on the external drive. I have a small collection of Free Plugins that I want to use with Reaper. I have heard of people accessing plugins from external drives but I have not been able to do this myself. It will not let me install the plugin onto the external HD, it says the plugin must be saved to the HD running Mac OS X.

I really wanted to be able to port my sessions around on my external HD but it won't be very helpful if I cannot access my plugins from the drive on a different computer.

Help?
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
I think the idea is to record audio to a separate HDD whether it's internal or external.

Thing is, even if you could install your plugs into your external HDD, in order for someone else to pull out the Reaper project files with your plugins, they would have to have the same plugins installed on their computer.

Now, if you're free plugins are just .dll files, you can make a folder and copy those .dll files over and have Reaper scan them as one of your plugin folders. This way, if you take a project somewhere, that person would just have to scan that folder for .dll plugins as well.

In preferences, there should be a plugins directory. There, you add the new folder and scan. If you take the project to go, then do the same in Reaper on the other comp.
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Ah! That makes sense. I will have to try that. Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search