The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VST Instrument — Orchestral Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

VST Instrument — Orchestral

A few years ago a friend was using Edirol Orchestral VST on his PC and I noticed it was fairly decent, particularly it had some really nice flutes outside of the others it had.

See here:
EDIROL HQ-OR Orchestral – High Quality Software Synthesizer :: Overview

It appears as though it is discontinued...

Curious if anyone could please help me source a similar VST, something that has some really good natural flutes, as well as strings etc for a bonus.

The thing is I need a VST instrument for Mac OS X. I am using Cubase 4 if that matters.

Thanks for the help!
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

EastWest/Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra PLAY Editions - Sounds Online

EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra. It is one of the best recorded orchestra VST instruments on the market. You can buy different versions of it, depending on your budget.

I recommend you get at least the Gold version, as it has all the instruments in the orchestra, and all articulations. You can even switch between articulations while playing live, using designated key switch notes on the keyboard.

The Gold version is 33GB, which is fairly manageable these days, but if you want 24-bit samples and additional microphone position recordings, you can go all the way up to 194GB. I did, and I love the quality and clarity of the 24-bit samples.

The whole instrument can be controlled from just one window of the interface, and it can run on its own, or as a VST plugin, which is exactly what you need. It will work perfect with Cubase.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for that — it looks pretty comprehensive.

However it's a little much, anything for around the $200 mark? Or would the Silver Complete version but to scarce and not worth it? Or could it get the job done as its only $175?
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Buy IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonik Orchestra Virtual Instrument Workstation | Orchestral Instruments | Musician's Friend

I have the East West Orchestra Gold and the Miroslav Philharmonik. The East West is far better BUT the Miroslav is quite good and was a film industry standard in the 90's. I highly recommend it and it's only $199. The strings are excellent and it has everything else as well including choirs. It doesn't have key switches but in Notion 3 it's fully supported within the score. There is a special version of Notion 3 that only supports the Miroslav Philharmonik for $89.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/notionsle/features/
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

There's also Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
Garritan Personal Orchestra 4
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

VST Instrument — Orchestral

How are the woodwinds, more specifically the flutes, on GPO? Pretty natural sounding?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search