The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using Kontakt Virtual Instrument to Trigger Recorded Drums in Cubase
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Using Kontakt Virtual Instrument to Trigger Recorded Drums in Cubase

Hey Guys, Im new to gearslutz, really just got an account to figure this one thing out so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just bought the Steven Slate Platinum 3.5 package under the impression that it came with gog and wav files, only to find out after purchase that they have come out with their own trigger vst. So i was wondering if anyone could tell me how i can use the Kontakt Virtual Instrument to trigger previously recorded audio drums.

For example, use the recorded (audio) kick drum and rout it to kontakt virtual instrument where it triggers the Steven Slate kick sample. then do this as well for the snare, toms, etc. Basically i want to use Kontakt the same way you would use drumagog.

How would i go about doing this and setting it up? Do i use a VST to convert the audio to midi? and if so, how do i make so that every note picked up by the audio kick, triggers in Kontakt.

Any help would be appreciated, i use Cubase 5 on my Mac OS X 10.6.5
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

OK, so let me understand this: you have already recorded audio tracks of drums? Are they mixed into one track, or does each kit piece have its own separate track?

Unfortunately, Kontakt is not a drum replacement software. You still need to get one of those. Some of them use their own set of samples to replace the recorded drums, and others can send out MIDI trigger signals to Kontakt to play the SSD samples.

Do you own the full Kontakt 4 product, or do you just have the Kontakt Player that came with Steven Slate Drums, by the way? Actually, in this case, it does not matter, neither version has drum replacement features.

If you have individual tracks for each kit piece, then I suppose you could look for a free VST plugin online that can convert monophonic audio to MIDI trigger signals. With drums it should work pretty effectively, since you do not have to worry about pitch. How effectively dynamics (velocity) would be converted is anyone's guess. Again, this free monophonic solution will only work if you have each kit piece on its own separate track.

Since you are using Cubase, I have found this article here for you on the subject of drum replacement in Cubase using Groove Agent One. I hope it helps.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec0...etech_1209.htm

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search