The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone used migration assitant? (OSX Snow Leopard)
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone used migration assitant? (OSX Snow Leopard)

Just ordered a new MB Pro and retiring a 6 year-old MB as my mobile rig.

I was wondering-- is it kosher to use migration assistant for Logic? Or should I set time aside to simply reinstall it? using Migration Assistant would be easier, but I'm not sure how it works.

I suppose I could use super duper and just move the disc image, too. I'm on an intel mac so snow leopard is the OS, and it's a pretty stable setup.

Anyone had experience using MI to move large integrated audio apps like Logic?
Old 30th December 2010
Home computer: Migration Assistant, no problem (apart from some Adobe applications).

Studio computer: Not in a million years. Clean install.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac
I recently used MA when my Power PC died and I replaced it with a used Mac Pro. I went from Logic 7 to 9 so i did a clean install of the app but all of the files and sample libraries moved flawlessly. I was amazed at how smooth the whole transition went.
JP
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Migration assistant is superb but NEVER do it when going from Power PC to Intel Macs.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Maniac

Hello,
Migration assistant is a great app, makes changing Mac computers ridiculously easy. As one user said - home machine, great, studio machine, always clean install.

When we went from PPC to Intel MA migrated over a few of the PPC system extensions to the Intel machines. Definitely a no-no. The machine worked fine but I wasn't about to work getting it up as a studio machine that way so we wiped the drive and started over.

Even going from Intel to Intel it's better doing a clean install on a studio machine. You've undoubtedly collected a bunch of undesirable junk that you want to eliminate. This is no problem if you're not trying to get the most stable, fastest performance out of your computer - MA will work fine. For a studio machine it's worth the abuse of a clean install.

My opininons/experience only.
Hugh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search