The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
eliminating computer noise from home recordings Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

eliminating computer noise from home recordings

Hi all,

I record predominantly at home in the bedroom.

I record mainly vocals and guitars, both acoustic and electric.

I have a walk in cupboard which i'm thinking I could add some acoustic treatment and record vox and acoustic gtr/elec gtrs in there. The small area has a door so that I can close when recording and keep out my noisy old dual core AMD desktop. ( that thing gets pretty loud when I push it ).

So here's the conundrum... should I buy mouse, keyboard and monitor cable extensions to isolate the pc by putting it in the walk in cupboard and maybe buy a reflexion filter for recording the bedroom space, which is larger, but as it's mine and my partners bedroom, she wont go with the full acoustic treatment lark.

OR should I leave the pc in the bedroom and go for a acoustically dead closet ?

What is everyone else in a similar position doing with home recording ?

anyone else caught between the devil and the deep blue sea?

thing is, I don't want to waste time and effort doing it one way to realize i'm flogging a dead horse.

I really crave a really low noise floor with my recordings, so that I can 'spank' vocals etc with some LA2A love in the mix, but in the current recording environment I have it's unworkable.

I have even tried the old matress tricks and stuff, but it's the inherrent comp fan noise that is ruining my recordings, especially ones the tracks start to stack up.

Any help advise is appreciated slutz.

kind regards

Stu.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Cheapest solution might to be to make your computer quiet. Get rid of noisy fans and harddrives that is. Replace powersupply and psu cooler to low noise ones and get a graphics card that has no fan at all. You can buy new harddrives pretty cheap or go with SSD disk, furthermore you can isolate harddrive from the chassis with rubber or similar to eliminate resonanses. If you want you can also upgrade your computer chassis to low noise type. By these few changes you will easily get your computer on same level as other domestic noise. Hope this helps!
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuikku View Post
Cheapest solution might to be to make your computer quiet. Get rid of noisy fans and harddrives that is. Replace powersupply and psu cooler to low noise ones and get a graphics card that has no fan at all. You can buy new harddrives pretty cheap or go with SSD disk, furthermore you can isolate harddrive from the chassis with rubber or similar to eliminate resonanses. If you want you can also upgrade your computer chassis to low noise type. By these few changes you will easily get your computer on same level as other domestic noise. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the swift reply tmuikku.
I'm planning an i7 upgrade in 2011, so I don't really want to spend money on the existing system yet as it works ok for now.

However,I would rather have the pc main case away from my recording space altogether as per original post. I suppose the question really is should I buy extension cables and put the system in the walk in closet, where the noise will be non existent on my recordings, and use the bedroom space to record, or the other way round.

I'm eager to see how other people record given similar home recording restrictions
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergies Watch View Post
I'm eager to see how other people record given similar home recording restrictions
I have one small half-treated room for everything. I bought a quiet PSU with a big, slow rotating fan, and replaced CPU and GPU fans with the biggest I could find (big fan = less rpm = quiet).

There is still a very faint ambient noise which can be easily removed with any noise reduction software. It is so faint - I rarely remove it at all.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuikku View Post

How is that the cheapest solution? new PSU, GPU, HDs? Just get long cables and put it in another room and have it 100% gone. No "silent" components will come close to that.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Hi

I had the same problem. Slightly different as I record on a MacBook laptop.

After trying makeshift baffles and a big 'quiet box' that I made myself (and that nearly caused the laptop to melt!) with unsatisfactory results I decided to just get the laptop out of the room.

It now sits on a small table just outside the room. With the door shut I get no noise at all (I also hung a thick rug on the door and have a draught excluder at the bottom).

I have an old Dell monitor and keyboard that stay in the room with me; they're on long cables that go under the door. Same for my interface which is on long usb cable - really simple.

Although I already had the monitor and keyboard sitting around doing nothing I think that had I had to buy all the stuff (including long cables) it would not have cost more than £50 - £60.

Hope this helps!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

To get rid of noise in existing recordings you can set up the same mic you used in teh same place and just record a long section of the computer noise (your supposed to do it at the same gain level you recorded at to be most effective) -then your mix the tracks and reverse the phase of the computer noise track - poof!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spice house View Post
To get rid of noise in existing recordings you can set up the same mic you used in teh same place and just record a long section of the computer noise (your supposed to do it at the same gain level you recorded at to be most effective) -then your mix the tracks and reverse the phase of the computer noise track - poof!
It doesn't work like that. The reversed phase track has to be sample-accurately alligned with the recording for this to have a chance of working.

Any noise-recording software will do this automatically, except it won't need a long section of computer noise (rather: short).
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Thanks for all the input guys.

I went out and bought extension wires, the pc is now tucked away in the walk in cupboard.

Just tried a couple of recordings and its soooo much better !

RIGHT !! gonna negotitate with the wife to see if I can sneak some absorption into the room. Mirror points to start with ( wish me luck ! )

Will continue to use the mattress ( props to Paul white and his many mattress articles in SOS ) to avoid early reflections and flutter and keep recordings nice and tight until I can afford a decent reflexion filter for the mic.

Things are def much impoved just by getting rid of that damn noise bucket !

think I will just record the silence and listen to that looping for a couple of hours heh

bliss
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search