The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
wierd timing issues/cubase4 and SD2 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

wierd timing issues/cubase4 and SD2

Hi, Nice to meet you all, have been hanging around for a little while doing some reading but this is my first post.

Not sure if this has been a topic before or not but im at a bit of a loss here.
I have a kit all made up in Superior drummer2, Comps, gates, eq etc on the SD2 mixing board. I have some tracks bussed into Cubase from there, on seperate tracks.

When i record guitars i use the freeze function in cubase on SD2 so i can run on low latency whilst recording.

so thats all fine i guess in theory as far i know.

My issues though, are im having a real prick of a time trying to play my guitar in time.

i just seem to be battling when im playing/recording and then on playback its just not nice at all. Its actually faster on playback than i played it. Only just, but it sounds rushed and spirtatic, and terrible to my ears.
Ive never had an issue with guitar timing ever, so i dont get it.

Im using a pre amp and going digitaly into an interface (Tascam US1641) then into my computer.
The interface is synced to the pre amp.

This where i get lost a bit, shouldnt the pre be synced to the interface? does it even matter?

My other question is, should i be bouncing the midi drums to audio? could that be the reason?
Would really appreciate any info on this. If this post seems a little vauge please let me know so i can try to explain better.

Cheers all.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Hmm, well, i think i have answered my own problem lol.
I havent been using direct monitoring for whatever reason in Cubase which would, to my knowledge, be contributing if not "be," the issue entirley.

If feel a little stupid as this is a newbie problem that i shouldve known about. Anyway, i will be back if it doesnt fix the issue.
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Maybe not so silly after all now.

Im using an iMAC, i have no diect monitoring as an option which is a real pain in the ass so im back to square one.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

I assume you are monitoring your tracks by Cubase doing software playthrough, so you are only hearing what has already been recorded and played back. Is the latency that bad with your audio interface? How many milliseconds latency are you running at? Also, what is your buffer size and sample rate?

I run everything at 24-bit/96kHz, (for better quality for starters) it cuts down on latency and it gives me more resolution before processing. A fairly new PC or Mac can handle the bandwidth and the CPU load, and disk storage size, luckily, is not an issue in this decade anymore. Does your audio interface support 24/96?

Also, when you say "synced", do you mean that your preamp and your interface are both synchronized through a word clock master clock?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search