The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I think it's time for a Mac--what do I need to know? Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
I went from Xp to W7x64. I'm not surprised you had trouble with Vista.. I wanted nothing to do with it and never even bothered installing it once. Absolutely love W7 and my new i7 comp though. I never get anywhere close to maxing out the cpu while working and my ASIO buffer is set to 64 samples. Also an SSD for your OS drive is a must IMO. Been using a Steinberg MR816 as audio interface and the whole setup has been a dream! Keep in mind Cubase 6 is also coming out in January.
go away, and have a PC lovefest elsewhere
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Hey SortaLucid,

Are you aware of the modification done by OWC where they add an E-Sata port to your Imac? Check it out here:

OWC TurnKey Upgrade/Installation Program for Apple iMac 27" 2010 Models (iMac11,3) - Add Solid State Drive (SSD), eSATA Port, and/or additional options

Seems very reasonable and would ratchet up your Imac even more!

You could use the esata for a sample library drive and the firewire for audio and interface, etc.
Old 2nd January 2011
i went mac about 5 years ago, worth it

now that win 7 is out and they have fast shiny new i7 pcs for cheap and i'm still rocking a core 2 duo macbook pro kinda lame. the i7 imac is bangin' out of control highly recommend it + esata = champion

there are new sandy bridge chips coming out in like 4 days so as long as you're going with a high end i7 machine you shud be fine. but some of the "low" end machines like airs, minis, and laptops in general will see an update and the performance might be close the gap

if ur considering an imac i'd also consider a 17" macbook pro with ecard. i chopped a dope beat on the plane like wednesday. just stay away from all their core 2 duo offerings they're pretty much obsolete at this point. phones are seriously catching up to them
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Are all of you folks advocating getting a Mac running Cubase or other DAW software on it?

Because, as I mentioned, one of my main reservations about getting a Mac is the supposedly bad performance of Cubase 5 on it.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut View Post
Are all of you folks advocating getting a Mac running Cubase or other DAW software on it?

Because, as I mentioned, one of my main reservations about getting a Mac is the supposedly bad performance of Cubase 5 on it.
Have an ask of the Cubase guys on here mate. I don't use it myself as I've been a long time user of Logic since 4.5. I've known people to use Cubase on Mac's and they've never mentioned it being flakey.

Surely it's got to work ok for Cubase

Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I had a PC for many years used cubase sx2/3/4 , then I jumped ship to Mac Pro/logic and never been happier heh

Basically what I'm saying is if you go Mac then why not give logic a try.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
I had a PC for many years used cubase sx2/3/4 , then I jumped ship to Mac Pro/logic and never been happier heh

Basically what I'm saying is if you go Mac then why not give logic a try.
Depends if the guy is happy with the workflow of Cubase and would want to stay on it - I know I wouldn't move from Logic right now: I may at some time if things went south with the app, jump ship, but right now - everything is super cool with it, might be similar for the O.P too

Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

I was using a PC + Cubase before I decided to go Mac. It was actually Digital Performer that I was interested in trying, but I ended up with Logic. Very easy migration from Cubase and at the time it was to Logic 7.
Old 4th January 2011
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut View Post

it's easy enough to find people that will say "works fine for me", but you can see the results in actual testing via the link someone posted.

I would strongly suggest either going for a new i7 PC on a Gigabyte mobo and OCZ SSD drive running W7 and just stay with Cubase..
or if you really want to spend the money and get away from PCs go for a Mac w/i7 and move to Logic. Likely an iMac since a Pro will be much more expensive.

Niether of those 2 options is "better".. both systems will slay. My i7 absolutely kills and has been trouble free, as would an i7 iMac running Logic. One route would just be a lot cheaper for you and allow you the PCIe option. Maybe ask yourself how important it is to you to have that PCIe option?
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

I had been using a PC for Cubase 5, but ventured into Mac land expecting it to be simple and straight-forward. It's been a really frustrating experience. Every small step of the way was difficult, nothing that should have happened automatically did and I'm at the point of throwing in the towel and going back to my PC.

My advice: don't do it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search