The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Re-Building Music PC DAW Software
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Re-Building Music PC

Hi Guys,

I'm rebuilding my PC with dual boot, to run two different versions of pro-tools.

Any audio specific tips/tweaks on windows installations?

I'm not exactly green, I'm a IT Tech by day, but i tend to focus on virtualization, network performance, group policies and not so much audio performance.

So any audio related tips would be great.!

Both XP.

Pro-Tools M-Powered 7 on 1 partition,
Pro-Tools 8 LE on the other.

Basically I have more i/o on the M/Audio device, but may wish to use 8 with the MBox.

Might turn into a useful thread for future reference ?? Hope so anyway. I'm going to start one windows installation now for the M-Powered and I'll add anything I think of along the way to the thread.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm rebuilding my PC with dual boot, to run two different versions of pro-tools.

Any audio specific tips/tweaks on windows installations?

I'm not exactly green, I'm a IT Tech by day, but i tend to focus on virtualization, network performance, group policies and not so much audio performance.

So any audio related tips would be great.!

Both XP.

Pro-Tools M-Powered 7 on 1 partition,
Pro-Tools 8 LE on the other.

Basically I have more i/o on the M/Audio device, but may wish to use 8 with the MBox.

Might turn into a useful thread for future reference ?? Hope so anyway. I'm going to start one windows installation now for the M-Powered and I'll add anything I think of along the way to the thread.
I would just run Pro Tools 9 then you can use either the MBox or M-Audio interface without needing a dual boot setup. Of course that would mean moving to Windows 7 as well.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

And with a move to W7 you would be able to rest assured that it is a version of Windows that is stable enough for audio work.

My recommendation is also to switch to Pro Tools 9. Do it on a 64-bit W7, no less. This gives you more memory, 64-bit effects processing, and compatibility with ANY audio interface. And of course, all the new features of PT 9 over the older versions you own.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search