The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Users: Change Software Instrument Record-Enable Behavior? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Logic Users: Change Software Instrument Record-Enable Behavior?

Hey all - so in Logic, when you click a software instrument's track header, it automatically record-enables that instrument, and resets the record-enable of other software instruments. I find this rather irritating -- any option or workaround to change it?

I tried searching but couldn't come up with a good search string...

Thanks!
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Bump! That **** kills me!
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Shift + Click over "R" on the track you want to select. That way the other ones stay record-enable. Shift + Click again when you're done, if you don't want to keep that track record-enable.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't solve my problem.

Example:

I have one software instrument with a drum patch, record-enabled, and my buddy is playing a drum pad. I make a new software-instrument track to add a piano for myself to play. Logic makes a new track, record-disables his drum track, and record-enables mine. It's then a simple matter to click the R on his track to get us both going, but I hate that! I would like to manually click record-enable to record-enable a track, and have it *stay* that way until I specifically tell it otherwise.

WTF! It really kills the energy sometimes. I'd like to be able to go about my business within Logic while allowing a performer to continue playing uninterrupted.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's a way to change this. I guess I generally have a couple software instrument tracks already created at the outset. Would that be a workaround for you? I can see how the current situation would be really annoying with your work method.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, I mean, the workaround only takes a moment, but we all know how a single moment can be a lifetime when you're sketching ideas. For serious sessions I'd already have everything set up anyway, but it's still frustrating! The risk-factor of accidentally disabling a running soft-synth just by clicking another track's header is big.... makes me nervous. I usually don't record with soft-synths much anyway (at least, not when there are more folks than me working on the session), but I just got Komplete 7 and with a pci-e interface, fast computer, and good hard-drive structure it's sufficient to record alongside a band, so I'm trying to get myself ready for this kind of session.

I wish Logic used midi / soft-synths more like Ableton - let you pick the I/O for the damn thing! I hate having to use silly channel-number-based workarounds - so annoying that you can't just say: This track derives midi input from this midi input, and sends to this midi output. You can hack that in the environment, but otherwise it just dumps *all* midi input to the record-enabled track(s). *So* stupid. I love the midi-editing in Logic, and the general workflow, and I'm pretty slick on it since I've been using it since V7, but this part of it really pisses me off.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Bump: Anyone have a workaround for this, or know a way to "lock" a software instrument track in record-enable mode so that it won't be disabled when I click the next track header?!?
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Guru

when you say it disables it from record.. why do you need the track you're NOT making active, record enabled?

I'm not exactly sure of the context this causes a specific block to.

but yes, Logic enables the record button on the track your on so you don't have to enable it before you hit record I guess.
I'm not sure what other problem the record being armed or disarmed causes for you.
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Logic Users: Change Software Instrument Record-Enable Behavior?

Check my third post for a specific example. The short explanation is for multiple players. One player is already in the groove, while I set up instrument for the second player. Any action on the 2nd track knocks the 1st out of rec enable.
Old 2nd August 2011
Here for the gear

work around

I am looking for the same thing. Did you find anything yet?
Old 10th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm55fz View Post
I am looking for the same thing. Did you find anything yet?
'fraid not.
Old 10th August 2011
Gear Maniac

I find this irritating as well. I hate when software does extra stuff I didn't tell it to do.
Old 10th August 2011
Here for the gear

It seems to me that this should work: create and record-enable the tracks you are going to use in advance, use separate MIDI channels for each instrument and enable the option "Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording".
Old 10th August 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppnq View Post
It seems to me that this should work: create and record-enable the tracks you are going to use in advance, use separate MIDI channels for each instrument and enable the option "Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording".
I've been using this method for quite some time and for whatever reason it's glitchy and frustrating. All of the tracks need to have their own midi channel rather than omni and sometimes even when everything is set correctly, Logic will glitch and force the separate tracks to play the same instrument.

I keep hoping Apple will notice that multiple musicians may want to use Logic to jam and record together on separate software instruments (virtual keys, guitar, drums, bass, etc.) and make this workflow smoother. Or that someone smarter than I will show me the way to truly set this up correctly in the environment using dedicated ports or something.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search