The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need music computer recommendations Audio Interfaces
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Need music computer recommendations

I'm fairly new to the engineering side of things so Im hoping to get some input from you computer experts out there. I expect to have around a $1600 budget soon to put towards a new music computer. Currently I'm using a Dell XPS 400 that ive had since 2006. I just upgraded the guts by adding a 2nd SATA drive and a total of 3 gigs of RAM but I did that just to hold me over. It's an XP system and I'm upgrading to PT 9 and an MBOX 3 Pro.

I am thinking about turning my current system over to the wife and kids and getting a Mac.

What is the best approach for my situation. I do mostly acoustic guitar, vocals, and VI's. As o stated I'm using an MBOX 3 PRO and PT 9.

Do MACs require a 2nd HD or is that just a PC thing? Would an iMac i7 be a good option or would I need to modify it etc...? Thanks for your input.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

Any platform (Mac or PC) would perform better with a separate, dedicated hard drive for samples.

These days with Windows 7 being stable enough for audio production, going the PC route gives you more hardware and software options. Definitely go with 64-bit W7, so you can get more RAM, and more powerful muticore effects processing and plugins.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

They don't, but as a general rule you should always record and have your audio on another HD. IMac will do nicely for what you need. Just use and external HD for your work or if you can afford it, have it come with a SSD drive for OS and 2TB drive for work.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Smile

I too was thinking about an iMac as they have good numbers. Problem is, you would need to get a powered 800 FireWire hub too as if you add a an audio I/O most, even some of the best are fw 400, all your external hard drives will slow to 400. I do not know what would happen if they made some sort of Ethernet to rests and you ran the drives that way. They are making stuff like that though but a fw hub should do the trick.

It's to bad. iMacs were in design firms and the like and apple has made it all about the consumer. Other daws get updates all
Time. We are lucky to get a
New version once ever 1.5 years plus the 2.4 Mac pro should have had a smaller footprint as avid/diginmwere smart enough to scoop up
Maudio as the know computers running native are getting to TDM status in further confirmed with pt going full
Native yet apple doesn't get that proSumer musicians is huge money, HUGE!!! And the should start releasing products that
Gets them well known for the next Phil Spector.

Really strange they just don't get it and that a midrange upgradable mac pro would sell in the millions and make apple huge for recoding and editing. Heck even the 1to1 traners only know iLife now, for the most part. Oh well. Perhaps in time.

PS. I would also look for a refurb Mac pro with the same warranty. Im
Trying to make a puchase too. In same boat. At first I thought iMac would be fine but am now thinking a 3.33 quad or 2.93 2009 8 core. Lord willing. Good Luck and may you be very happy with whatever you get!!!

Peace and Blessings and Hally New Year All!!!
BE SAFE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no View Post
I'm fairly new to the engineering side of things so Im hoping to get some input from you computer experts out there. I expect to have around a $1600 budget soon to put towards a new music computer. Currently I'm using a Dell XPS 400 that ive had since 2006. I just upgraded the guts by adding a 2nd SATA drive and a total of 3 gigs of RAM but I did that just to hold me over. It's an XP system and I'm upgrading to PT 9 and an MBOX 3 Pro.

I am thinking about turning my current system over to the wife and kids and getting a Mac.

What is the best approach for my situation. I do mostly acoustic guitar, vocals, and VI's. As o stated I'm using an MBOX 3 PRO and PT 9.

Do MACs require a 2nd HD or is that just a PC thing? Would an iMac i7 be a good option or would I need to modify it etc...? Thanks for your input.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

If you are planning to run any of this synth I recommend you should at least get an i7.

xils lab PolyKB

u-he ACE

FXpansion DCAM
Old 15th March 2011
Here for the gear

How to create mix and record music.

To create a professional project or a mixdown, you need an audio oriented computer. It could be a Mac but it is very expensive, around 10k or a windows based but Windows should be set up for a stealth mode, I mean that it shouldn't auto update itself at the time you're recording and all it's resources should be towards an audio production. Then, You'll need a DAW software that will give you more options for tweaking audio presets, like Nuendo, and a bunch of plug-ins, like reverbs, compressors EQs... etc. The best choise I found is the Music Workstation specially developed for that Home - Music Workstation
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search