The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Flex time/elastic audio in DAWs
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Flex time/elastic audio in DAWs

Hi,

I've been using using Logic in a studio for a couple of years but don't have that opportunity any more. I'm looking for something other than PT or Logic to use at home. Now, what I was wondering is, does any other DAW out there have a feature similar to flex time/elastic audio?

Thanks
Old 29th December 2010
Ableton. Greatest compositional tool ever. Download and demo it. Love it.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
Ableton has a great warp tool built in. Depending on your other needs (tracking/midi composition/mixing), it may or may not be your top choice.
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Haha, sounds like a cola knock off ad I saw recently - Drink it. Love it.

Thanks for the info, what is the name of the feature, I wish it would just be named the same thing for all DAWs but its all about marketing instead of ease of use these days...

@blacklion: oh ok, I am looking to use it for very subtle vocal timing tweaking
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp Cannons View Post
Haha, sounds like a cola knock off ad I saw recently - Drink it. Love it.

Thanks for the info, what is the name of the feature, I wish it would just be named the same thing for all DAWs but its all about marketing instead of ease of use these days...

@blacklion: oh ok, I am looking to use it for very subtle vocal timing tweaking
Well in that case, Cubase has Variaudio built in and can be used for pitch correction/alignment. Primarily intended for vocals, but I've tried it with other monophonic sources and it works very well.
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Ok, thanks! I'll look into it
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Also check out REAPER (sorry I'm being "that guy" lol).

It's pitch/time editing algorithms are licensed from Elastique. Ableton also uses these, as does Cubase variaudio. The difference is that REAPER included all of their algorithms for you to choose between depending on what you're using it on (including the "Pro" algo with all of the formant preserving modes), while Ableton and Cubase give you only the efficient algorithm, and offer no formant preserving options.

So, they all use high quality time/pitch algorithms, but the ones in REAPER allow higher quality for a wider range of input audio. The formant options are very important for processing vocals as "transparently" as possible.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Samplitude features elastic audio as well. It's working great.

Check this vid for demo
Elastic Audio by MAGIX
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Smile

propellerhead's record has an awesome time stretching algo... i think it's the best i've used.... but all daws nowadays have diferent implementations of it... the cool thing in record is you can record at any tempo and play back at any tempo in real time.... the uncool thing about the software is not being able to use vst's and the like...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search