The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question about running 2x 2.1 speakers Audio Interfaces
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Red face Question about running 2x 2.1 speakers

Ok I have a set of klipsch promedia 2.1's. i was going to buy a better set like the blue sky exo2's. but those will run me 450 + tax. then i thought i can get another set of promedia's for for 150 and a combined total of 300.

im satisfied with the sound quality of the promedia's. granted im not doing any serious mixing...i have a pair of sennheiser hd280 pros to consult with if necessary anyway. my main concern is that i want more output and to be able to use my promedias at lower levels, rather than pushing them to their limits in order to get the output i want.

so my question is would 2 sets of promedias running to a 3.5mm Y splitter to a 3.5mm - RCA cable into my m audio fast track sound ok? for one im wondering how the 2 sets will sound compared to the one. im guessing much louder and ill be able to run them at lower volume levels now, so less distortion etc..im thinking ill get some better sq this way. but also i was wondering will i lose any quality running the Y splitter and the 3.5mm to rca cable?

edit: will using this method still allow for the L and R speaker functionality?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

oops meant to edit first post.
Old 29th December 2010
You're using desktop speakers, which will not give you an honest image of your mix. Saving for studio monitors and some smart acoustic treatment will pay off in the long run. Getting a 2nd set will only be louder, but also more muddy, unbalanced, phase issues etc etc. Just don't do it, it will only make things worse.
The best investment you can do at this moment is buying a book or 2 on recording & mixing.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
You're using desktop speakers, which will not give you an honest image of your mix. Saving for studio monitors and some smart acoustic treatment will pay off in the long run. Getting a 2nd set will only be louder, but also more muddy, unbalanced, phase issues etc etc. Just don't do it, it will only make things worse.
The best investment you can do at this moment is buying a book or 2 on recording & mixing.
yeah but i have sennheiser hd280 pros to do my mixing with and then i can check them on the promedia's. im not doing any serious mixing anyway so i figured this would be fine. also when checking my mix i would use only 1 set of promedias at first.

and id rather not get a nice set of monitors just yet because i dont really have the money. also i would need to buy a sub as well because studio monitors just dont have enough low end for me. i listen to dubstep mostly which focuses on bass. i like to mix with a flat set of headphones and then listen to on a system with some bass.

but my question is would using this method sound ok as far as using the splitters and such? and will i lose the L and R functionality of the speakers or no?

and i think it will sound less muddy in my opinion because i will be able to run the speakers at lower volumes. so that means less distortion, less boomy bass, etc...just a thought.

edit: and yes i need books on recording, mixing, mastering, music theory, and sound engineering. lol lets just say i have a lot to learn...
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

also would i face any problems with clipping by running a Y splitter?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search