The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cables Audio Interfaces
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

Cables

So I'm looking to hook up my new M-Audio Studiophile Bx5a Deluxe monitors to my Mbox 2 Mini going out through the 1/4" balanced output of the box into the 1/4" balanced input of the monitors. Two questions when I'm looking for this cabling, I see instrument, patch, interconnect, stereo and what seems to be a myriad of other options. I know I shouldn't use instrument cables but what kind DO I need? Any suggestions on cables? I don't necessarily need Mogamis. And if you could find them on Musician's friend that'd be swell because the monitors and stands are in my cart there but I'll take what I can get. Thanks!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Right now it looks like I'm getting these, any reason I shouldn't?

Monster Cable Studio Link 500 Interconnect
Buy Monster Cable Studio Link 500 Interconnect TRS (M) - TRS (M) | Audio / RCA Cables | Musician's Friend
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohns37 View Post
Right now it looks like I'm getting these, any reason I shouldn't?

Monster Cable Studio Link 500 Interconnect
Buy Monster Cable Studio Link 500 Interconnect TRS (M) - TRS (M) | Audio / RCA Cables | Musician's Friend
You're looking for TRS to TRS cables. If you decide to use the XLR inputs on your monitors, they would be XLR to TRS. To be honest, I cannot recall if there's a reason to choose XLR over TRS, but I've always gone this route for some reason.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

You're right. I have no idea why I was so adamant about getting 1/4 to 1/4
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

I think I'm going to get these:

Live Wire 1/4" Male to XLR Male Patch Cable
Buy Live Wire 1/4" Male to XLR Male Patch Cable | Audio / RCA Cables | Musician's Friend
Old 29th December 2010
nms
Lives for gear

I usually don't recommend buying monster cables ever. They're overpriced sometimes to ridiculous amounts far beyond what they're worth.

For balanced you just need TRS cables (Tip Ring Sleeve) which you can tell by the fact they have 2 rings on the tips instead of just one.

Buy Live Wire TRS - XLR(M) Patch Cable | Audio / RCA Cables | Musician's Friend

grab a pair of those for around half what you'd pay for the monster cables.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
I usually don't recommend buying monster cables ever. They're overpriced sometimes to ridiculous amounts far beyond what they're worth.

For balanced you just need TRS cables (Tip Ring Sleeve) which you can tell by the fact they have 2 rings on the tips instead of just one.

Buy Live Wire TRS - XLR(M) Patch Cable | Audio / RCA Cables | Musician's Friend

grab a pair of those for around half what you'd pay for the monster cables.
Thanks man, I found some from the same company that had a 5ft cable which is about what I need.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search