The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do i Enable my esata port in BIOS??? please help DAW Software
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

How do i Enable my esata port in BIOS??? please help

so i got a 2tb external hard drive (green drive from fantom drives) and it has an esata option but when i plug it all in to the esata port nothing is recongnized and nothing happens. i hear that i have to enable to port in Bios but i dont know the first thing about that.
i have a HP dv7 laptop w/ windows 7 64 bit

thanks a lot
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
(1) Is this a new drive that's been formatted and named by your comp already? Does it work with usb but not esata?

(2) are you plugging into the esata port and powering the external HD before you power up your computer?

esata is not like usb (at least in XP) where you can hotswap easily, unless you DL hotswap.exe.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

everything works with usb, and i've realized that i can get it to work if i have the hard drive connected and on while my laptop is being turned on. i didnt realize you had to do that with esata.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
yeah, keep in mind the order when powering things up. For me, it's HDDs, Interface, Comp.

as I mentioned, hotswap.exe will let you hotswap your external esata drives. Used this for unplugging while the computer was on, but never plugging in after powering up.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

+1 on HotSwap.

Also, if you've already booted and forgot to turn the drive on, go to Device Manager, right click on Disk Drives and select Scan For Changes. You should then see your eSata drive.

****Warning using eSata, especially with Windows7!!!!
DO NOT just unplug the drive.
MAKE SURE you "remove" the drive properly.
Otherwise, you may lose the indexing and Windows may see this as an unformatted drive.
Window 7 will AUTOMATICALLY run Scan Disk AND make changes.

Again, +1 on HotSwap!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

general question about external hard drives...

i use pro tools 9, is it best to just save my projects to the drive or actually install protools onto my external hd?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdkrp18 View Post
general question about external hard drives...

i use pro tools 9, is it best to just save my projects to the drive or actually install protools onto my external hd?
Seems like most people install apps (like PT) with their OS drive and have an external drive for audio and samples...sometimes those split up as well.

I don't see the benefit you'd have from installing PT onto your audio drive, if that's the external one.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search