The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac for music on the internet
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Do any of you guys who do audio with your mac let it go on the internet and do you use any kind of virus protection software? I use an imac with protools 8- le system. Thanks, Larry.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRYROSE View Post
Do any of you guys who do audio with your mac let it go on the internet and do you use any kind of virus protection software? I use an imac with protools 8- le system. Thanks, Larry.
No issues that I know of.

Using Macs for over fifteen years, never owned virus protection software.

Just be aware of the source when installing apps.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

yeah.. the mac is kinda over due for virus threats.. but none really so far.. unless I guess you try and get illegal apple software.. heard about that..
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do any of you guys who do audio with your mac let it go on the internet
Yes.
Quote:
and do you use any kind of virus protection software?
No.
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

I've been a Mac owner and user for about 6 years now and have never had a problem with virus trouble. But still, I wouldn't connect a computer that I work on to the internet. I guarantee you most professional engineers don't, it's just a safety measure.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsearles View Post
yeah.. the mac is kinda over due for virus threats.. but none really so far.. unless I guess you try and get illegal apple software.. heard about that..
Not even then. I collect viruses. Have a collection of several thousand mac viruses from pre-OSX days. Nowadays, even in cracked software there's nothing to be found.

The four pieces of OSX malware reported by Intego are rather dodgy. Nobody outside of Intego ever got to see them.

But don't feel too safe. Viruses as most people see them, are on the decline. The new kind of malware is very much more targeted. Mostly trojan horses waiting to steal specific passwords. There hasn't been a successful one on OSX yet, but that's only because malware authors start out with the low hanging fruit first. And I've seen a couple of malware construction kits that are cross-platform.

Far more worrying is that the "infection" vector on the Mac already seems in place. There are hundreds of companies, mainly from Russia, selling a number of video and audio conversion software tools (rippers) under hundreds of different names. They all are the same programs, esthetically a bit different, all sold for a very low price and all very present in the cracked software scene. So I guess they are already running on thousands of Macs and the people behind it are just waiting to reach a big enough penetration to start "using" their installed base. And of course they also have a Windows version too...

Since this software is already installed, it will escape every AV scanner out there. That's another concern. AV scanners really only protect from the old style viruses. Not the newer trojans and such.

So, keep your eyes open. It will happen.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

i havent had any issues yet. although i do have a av scanner called clam xav. this basically only detects windows virus' but this can be helpful if you are sending files to a friend or family member that uses a pc. macs cannot be affected by a windows virus but they can pass them on.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

No viruses whatsoever. Macs are pretty rock solid
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Make sure your Firewall is turned on. Oddly, it's not on by default on Macs.
Turning on the Firewall is the first thing I do when getting a new Mac or reinstalling the OS.

I have clamAV scan my system once a week, just to make sure something laying around isn't suspect.
Old 29th December 2010
(Copy+paste from my reply in a similar thread on Logic Pro Help)

There's simply no need to install that crap on your Mac.

You shouldn't be naïve (don't install illegal software and open weird attachments from people you don't know) but there's no reason to be paranoid either. In my opinion it is paranoid to install anti-virus or malware protection software on your Mac when there's virtually nothing to protect against in the first place.

You're infinitely more likely to get your Hotmail or Facebook account hacked by clicking a phishing link, but that's not Mac related of course.

If I counted correctly I've had fifteen (15) Macs since 1997. All connected to the Internet 24/7 with no anti-virus or malware protection installed:

0 viruses
0 malware

That's a very telling status report from a hardcore Internet/Mac user.

The same is true for the more tech challenged Mac users. Both my parents and parents-in-law are Mac users (65+ yo). Apart from the fact that they're actually getting work done on their computers now, they've never had any viruses or malware either.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

99% of my time doing music production on my mac is while I'm messing around on the internet.

I've never noticed any issues with it. You're totally OK.

The only problems that you'll encounter is when you start fooling around with tools to optimize your performance relative to your internet usage.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search