The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me choose a daw ? DAW Software
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Help me choose a daw ?

Hi I am very familiar with ableton live 8.2, & know a little of cockos reaper, I recently viewed Digital Music Doctor - FL Studio 9 Know It All ! which my friend have. My conclusion is FL 9 is so confusing from the DAW I normaly use like ableton live 8.2, so is cubase 5 easier to learn for someone coming from ableton or should I stick to ableton ? my main problem with ableton is with midi editing, I would like to edit midi in the timeline, instead of ableton arranger view.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Cubase is great for MIDI, hard to beat.
Demo available here: Trial Version*:**|*http://www.steinberg.net/
Needs to be authorised though.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Cubase is by far superior in midi editing. Ableton has some other cool features that are really interesting. You might want to keep using both

What kind of music are you planning to create?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Currently testing Steinberg Cubase 5, will report results, later...
Old 28th December 2010
Stick with Ableton. It's a great DAW.

If you want to pick another DAW, get one that has a nice waveform editor and a nice mix / edit window configuration. I love Ableton, but I find it easier to mix with Pro Tools.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Addict

i use reason 5 + reaper.

i love reason 5 but its nice to use reaper sometimes for some vst's and other things. plus its only 40 bucks...i still cant believe how cheap it is.

mostly just reason 5 because it's what im used to and is incredibly user friendly compared to other daws that i try now.

oh and the new reaper has a newer and better midi editing mode from the last version.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just fell in love with Cubase 5, going to switch to Cubase 5 !
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Cubase is a good DAW choice. I think 6 will be introduced at next months NAMM.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
i use reason 5 + reaper.

i love reason 5 but its nice to use reaper sometimes for some vst's and other things. plus its only 40 bucks...i still cant believe how cheap it is.

mostly just reason 5 because it's what im used to and is incredibly user friendly compared to other daws that i try now.

oh and the new reaper has a newer and better midi editing mode from the last version.
Yes, and the best part is that you can ReWire Reason into Reaper, so now you have all of Reason's instruments, synths, samplers, and effects, available alongside audio recording and VST plugins in Reaper. You get the best of both worlds. And you did not have to spend much more for Record.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Maniac

I seriously doubt any daw can beat cakewalk in the midi department, it just makes it so easy...
Old 31st December 2010
Deleted #157546
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureArtist View Post
Just fell in love with Cubase 5, going to switch to Cubase 5 !

You could go back and forth to switch it up.
Old 31st December 2010
I would use Cubase to record audio and use Ableton to edit drum tracks...It has an amazing drum syncing ability. I used to use it to edit drum tracks after I've recorded them.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Cubase 5 + Live 8 = Great Combination of DAWs to have !

I'm a Cubase 5 user, I will soon add Live 8. Live offers a great work-flow, and audio editing features, plus it is a fantastic creativity enhancing tool to come up with unique ideas, arranging, ...etc.

Plus, there is a bit of a buzz that 'Cubase 6', and 'Live 9' will be introduced during the upcoming 2011 Winter NAMM show.
Old 1st January 2011
nms
Lives for gear

Ableton all the way for me. Tried cubase (had to extract stuff from a remix project) and couldn't wait to get off of it, but others of course like it. What's your issue with the midi editing? I usually compose all my parts in the session view and then drag them onto arrangement. When you need to edit midi clips in the arrangement you just double click them and edit. Pretty straightforward.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search