The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FW Macbook interfaces. Audio Interfaces
Old 28th December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Chris's Avatar
FW Macbook interfaces.

I'm currently looking at an Apogee Duet or the 2 channel Metric Halo unit. I haven't been on GS for a while so I haven't been keeping up with anything that's out. I just don't want to miss on anything.

Most of the threads I've looked up are from 2007-8 so I haven't found anything extremely recent.

Just interested in what choices there are out there currently.

I use Logic.
Old 28th December 2010
  #2
Gear Nut
 

Presonus Firestudio Mobile;

PreSonus
Old 28th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quality wise, and for that i/o count, there still isn't anything better than MH and Apogee imho.

Well, RME Babyface is prolly up there. Worth to look at as well.
Old 28th December 2010
  #4
Gear Addict
 
nicogrubert's Avatar
 

It depends on your requests.
How many analog INs and OUTs do you need?
How many MIDI In/Outs do you need?
Do you need digital In/Out?
Old 28th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 

There are lots of choices today to choose from. Assuming that 2-in and 2-out is all you need, you're a Logic user, and you've already mentioned the Apogee---you can't go wrong with it. When the DUET came out it really was a game-changer for both it's cost AND quality, as well as how compact it is. Personally I would rather it had been a little larger with direct XLR jacks built-in but hey---using a breakout cable is fine. The Duet is essentially a baby Ensemble, less several things. But the converters and pres are the same. Apogee has always made killer mic-pres, something I wish they would dive further into these days----you know, say an 8-channel pre with ADAT optical output to expand upon an Ensemble (hint Apogee, hint!!). Being a Logic user, the built-in control of the Duet should be a feature you would like---it's literally right there within Logic's window, nothing else to pull up.

Now, the Metric Halo is a fine unit too---EXCELLENT converters and pres as well. It's really going to come down to YOUR preference. Personally, I've been a devoted Apogee fan back to the ADA1000 or whatever that thing was called. I love their products.
Old 28th December 2010
  #6
FW Macbook interfaces.

I've got a duet and an Echo audiofire 8 that I run together as an aggregate device. The duet is fantastic. The pre's and converters are great...but most importantly, the drivers are seamless with mac and logic.

The Echo is also very good and it gets the job done for now, but ultimately im looking to get an ensemble as my studio centerpiece. The Echo's software isn't nearly as integrated with OSX. If I had never used apogee stuff, I probably wouldn't mind, but since I have, it really makes a difference.

If all you need is two physical inputs, you cant go wrong with duet.


Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 28th December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Chris's Avatar
Thanks guys. Pretty much confirming what I thought. I used to hear a ton about the MH unit but I wasn't on a mac at the time so I pretty much had to ignore it.

But the fact that the Apogee is set up for Logic/Mac and integrated might just be the cherry on top.
Old 28th December 2010
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
DSPaudio's Avatar
 

MH over Apogee anyday here. MH integrates incredibly well and brings much more to the table.
Old 28th December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Thanks guys. Pretty much confirming what I thought. I used to hear a ton about the MH unit but I wasn't on a mac at the time so I pretty much had to ignore it.

But the fact that the Apogee is set up for Logic/Mac and integrated might just be the cherry on top.
Apogee is great, dont get me wrong, but the whole "integrated" thing gets a bit overblown. We're merely talking about a barebones basic mixer page that you can open within Logic instead of it being its own OSX program. The consoleconnect plugin that you get with MH integrates the MH mixer about as much as the Apogee one.

When it gets to "additional features" the MH boxes outperform Apogee by a distant mile. Hence the price difference...
Old 28th December 2010
  #10
Here for the gear
 

What would any of you say to someone who doesn't have the money for a Metric Halo or Apogee unit? How far behind are Presonus?

For me, who knows relatively little about this stuff and can't afford a very expensive piece, it seems hard to turn down the Presonus Firestudio stuff. I'm looking at the Firestudio Project. Reviews say good preamps, 8 in/10 out, MIDI in/out, etc...
Old 29th December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Chris's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavano View Post
Apogee is great, dont get me wrong, but the whole "integrated" thing gets a bit overblown. We're merely talking about a barebones basic mixer page that you can open within Logic instead of it being its own OSX program. The consoleconnect plugin that you get with MH integrates the MH mixer about as much as the Apogee one.

When it gets to "additional features" the MH boxes outperform Apogee by a distant mile. Hence the price difference...
Yeah, I wasn't looking for something twice the price, really. When I get some more cashola and some gear I'll upgrade, but right now there's really no reason for me to do so.
Old 29th December 2010
  #12
Presonus doesn't suck, but RME is great and nicely priced.

MH stuff does cost a bit more however, in the time I've owned a 2882, PT users would have had to upgraded at least once to equal the quality I had on day 1, twice to get something better (the newest Avid boxes are nice). MOTU's been through 3 or 4 generations of FW interfaces, and still aren't there. I expect my ULN8 will be in service at least as long.

There's a lot to be said in the computer world for buying something once and being done with that category. It's so rare we consider it unobtainium! Would you spend $1000 on a mic or pre and consider it acceptable to replace it every 3 years? Is it smart to skimp on the one device that tattoos every signal in your studio?

The best way to look at MH, Mytek or Prism interfaces, which have MUCH longer useful life-cycles than MOTU, Digi or Presonus, is to include the cost of the inevitable upgrade. Do you really save a few bucks when you snag a $600 interface, knowing you'll replace it with something that costs $1000 within a year or two? Unless your ears are shot, the more you work, the more you'll heari the differences, and question your rig. What have you saved in that case, and would you get more work done if you had just gotten something killer to start with?
Old 29th December 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Chris's Avatar
Luckily I'm pretty smart with my purchases. The next interface type purchase I'll be making (not any time soon) will be multi channels for mixing outboard through a mixer.

The Duet will still be useable for editing on the go or working on something in my living room when I don't need the full spread across a console.
Old 29th December 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pr0n View Post
What would any of you say to someone who doesn't have the money for a Metric Halo or Apogee unit? How far behind are Presonus?

For me, who knows relatively little about this stuff and can't afford a very expensive piece, it seems hard to turn down the Presonus Firestudio stuff. I'm looking at the Firestudio Project. Reviews say good preamps, 8 in/10 out, MIDI in/out, etc...
As another said, Presonus "doesn't suck". I've known the guys there for many years, heck I've visited the factory, had lunch with the owner, and have even helped them design a few products. Presonus is a small company, but huge with passion. They really build products for the musicians that want professional quality, but can't spend a lot---but don't be fooled, their products are also used by pros that can spend more money. They make innovative products that really do fill solutions, not just make sales.

To your question about the Firestudio Project, it's a good box! While the Apogee is in a different league, the pres and converters are indeed very quiet and sound just fine. And now combined with their Studio One software they provide a complete solution that is SIMPLE, AFFORDABLE, SOUNDS GREAT, and provides some "LAGNIAPPE". This is their cajun word for "a little something extra". They are great guys (and gals!) down there and make wonderful products. I know first hand, I've been their #1 in sales for quite awhile---so I've gotten to know them well.
Old 29th December 2010
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
As another said, Presonus "doesn't suck". I've known the guys there for many years, heck I've visited the factory, had lunch with the owner, and have even helped them design a few products. Presonus is a small company, but huge with passion. They really build products for the musicians that want professional quality, but can't spend a lot---but don't be fooled, their products are also used by pros that can spend more money. They make innovative products that really do fill solutions, not just make sales.

To your question about the Firestudio Project, it's a good box! While the Apogee is in a different league, the pres and converters are indeed very quiet and sound just fine. And now combined with their Studio One software they provide a complete solution that is SIMPLE, AFFORDABLE, SOUNDS GREAT, and provides some "LAGNIAPPE". This is their cajun word for "a little something extra". They are great guys (and gals!) down there and make wonderful products. I know first hand, I've been their #1 in sales for quite awhile---so I've gotten to know them well.
Thanks for the post! My main concern is to get my laptop working with a band in a live situation, so I'm guessing the greatest pres and converters won't come into the equation that much. I want to use Pure Data and Ableton Live with a PA and headphones for a drummer, and I want to process a guitar and microphone input in real time. I don't expect to get much quality recording done on my gear because I don't have the money for the appropriate equipment, or a good room.

Cheers!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
toledo3 / Music Computers
2
kontxt / Music Computers
0
teknosmoker / Music Computers
6

Forum Jump
Forum Jump