The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nomad Factory plugins crash Logic 9 Dynamics Plugins
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Nomad Factory plugins crash Logic 9

Hello People,

I do enjoy some of he NF plugz (I have them all), but I hesitate to use then in any serious project as they crash and hang way too much, when used in fair to large sized projects along with other plugz.

Here's the background:

I have had nothing but problems with the Nomad Integral Pack since I bought it, maybe nearly 2 years ago. Bernie was helpful at first but he then gave up and wasn't interested in fully testing the severe problems I was having with his plug-ins. The Blue Tubes plugins (in particular the PEQs and the CP and FA comps were unusable in combination with other plugz in a Logic project. I turned my Mac inside-out trying to find out what was wrong with it - thinking I had a hardware problem. Nothing of the sort - it was the BT plugz.

So, I just stopped using them basically - and then I found out (not cos they told me, as they don't even have a proper customer mailing list for updates?!) that they had updated to native 64-bit. Whoopee I thought! Maybe these will be better?!.....

I installed them and started using them - and whadayaknow - crashing with 9.1.3 in 64-bit mode - crash report names the PEQ5 - AGAIN. Sometimes it's the AMT Warm (another NF plug). My setup runs smoothly with tons of other plugins - in my opinion the code for these plugins is dodgy and fragile. I wrote to NF support and got fobbed off with some cut and paste tosh about re-installing. The message was impersonal and abrupt and not helpful at all. They have now gone into the traditional "ignore" mode, leaving my questions unanswered. This was about a month ago.

I have since had several more crashes naming NF plugz in the crashed thread.

Just 5 minutes ago, I sent some crash reports (about 6 separate occasions!) and asked that they investigate. What did I get back? - more cut and paste crap about validation for 64-bit mode, which they had already sent me before. I told them at that time that I was not a newbie, but a professional, and I know how to validate plugins(!)

The code for NF plugz - in particular the BT series is seriously dodgy.

I know I sound a bit irate, that's because (understandably) I am.

Bernie (the boss/main developer @ NF) it seems will not entertain the possibility that his plugz are not as stable as plugins from other developers (at least as far as Logic AU goes - I can't speak for other DAWs). I did some research into this whole thing last year, and got in touch with a few pro users who told me they had doom with their BT plugz, but they just stopped using them rather than contacting NF for a fix. Another producer friend of mine reported to me just last month that his NF plugz are causing crashes and hangs also.

No other 64-bit native plugins crash or hang on my system. I am running about 20 different x64 plugz at the moment...

I would really like to hear from Logic users in particular, who are running big sessions with plenty of varied plugins in 64-bit mode, using the NF plugz - especially the BT series EQs and compressors...

Last edited by kevaquarian; 28th August 2011 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Correcting a name
Old 24th April 2012
Here for the gear

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I'm also having similar problems in 2012.

I have the integral studio pack 2 and have only had crashes in logic 9 64bit when using Nomad Factory. Running Logic 9.1.7 though now, and far less crashes and less plugins crashing. Echoes, Magnetic II, Pulsetec, Motown all run flawlessly. I wish the rest were even more stable. Their great sounding, easy to use plugins.
Old 24th April 2012
Gear Addict

any problems if you run logic in 32bit mode?

Sent from my SC-02B using Gearslutz App
Old 24th April 2012
Gear Maniac

I still don't use the vast majority of the NF plugz due to crashes and hangs. Magnetic II seems a bit more stable than most (actually that's the only one I'm using at the mo) - haven't tested Echoes much, so couldn't say about that one.

Please do contact NF about it - the more people that tell them about the problems, the more likely they are to address the instabilities.
Old 24th April 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingataff View Post
any problems if you run logic in 32bit mode?

Sent from my SC-02B using Gearslutz App
Good point, I will check. Sometimes the plugins will crash when I remove it or move it to another channel while playing.
Old 24th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bulbus View Post
Good point, I will check. Sometimes the plugins will crash when I remove it or move it to another channel while playing.
I also get crashes when moving plugins across channel strips - even when in stop, if I'm working rapidly.

On my setup, NF plugz instability happens in 32 bit mode as well.

Last edited by kevaquarian; 24th April 2012 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 11th December 2012
TNM
Lives for gear
Hey i need to bump this as i can't stand the non stop crashing.. latest integral...

9.1.8 64

NONE of my other stuff crashes *at all*.

The nomad stuff is incredibly unstable, and i don't hold out much hope considering the last update was over a year ago.

FWIW Magma is unstable also. one of the delay modules is instant "logic nuke".

Within 60 minutes i have 10 crash reports saved to send to them, we will see if it does any good.
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear

For my part, it has only been one of the Analog Signature Pack in 64-bit that gave me problems, LM-662 IIRC. They all behave well in 32-bit here. LP9.1.7 on 10.6.8. AMT, BBE, MAGNETIC all going well. I'm surprised to hear you have so many problems with all of them.

KA
Old 11th December 2012
Hi TNM,

Are you running 1.0.3 of Magma? Which delay module is it that is causing issues? Can you give me your OSX version as well as Logic? Are you running Logic in 32 bit or 64 bit? I will pass this on to NF.

Thanks.
Old 11th December 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Hey i need to bump this as i can't stand the non stop crashing.. latest integral...

9.1.8 64

NONE of my other stuff crashes *at all*.

The nomad stuff is incredibly unstable, and i don't hold out much hope considering the last update was over a year ago.

FWIW Magma is unstable also. one of the delay modules is instant "logic nuke".

Within 60 minutes i have 10 crash reports saved to send to them, we will see if it does any good.
This does not surprise me at all, obviously. Have you contacted Nomad support directly about it? As I've said before, I feel the only way to get them to acknowledge that there are problems with their coding is for everyone with problems to speak up?

I spoke with quite a few people who were having crashes and other unstable behaviour with NF plugz, but they just stopped using them, and didn't bother to tell Nomad about it. As a result, when I had repeated problems I told it was "only me" and it "must be my setup"....

Hmmm.... no other plugins were giving me any trouble - must have been my setup
Old 11th December 2012
Lives for gear
I stopped using Magnetic because of the sudden crashes I got on Mac 10.6.8 in Cubase 32 bit.

I just don't have the patience for stuff like this anymore. If it crashes, I will move on.

I wanted to like the plugin... too bad. Hope they try again.
Old 11th December 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I stopped using Magnetic because of the sudden crashes I got on Mac 10.6.8 in Cubase 32 bit.

I just don't have the patience for stuff like this anymore. If it crashes, I will move on.

I wanted to like the plugin... too bad. Hope they try again.
Thanks for chipping in here - I'm gonna draw NF support's attention to this thread (and others like it) and trust that they begin to realise they need to work on their unstable plugins.
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear
No news from NF for way tooooo long... I still have a bug report open since mid 2012. Do they still exist as a company?
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
No news from NF for way tooooo long... I still have a bug report open since mid 2012. Do they still exist as a company?
That underlines another huge problem with this company, they don't always send out notifications of updates to their customers. I know of no other company that leaves it's customer base so much in the dark. I like many of their plugs tho.
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

I've had the same problems with Magnetic II. Doesn't crash - it just stops processing audio.
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
I've had the same problems with Magnetic II. Doesn't crash - it just stops processing audio.
The bug i have is similar. In my case it mutes sound on Ableton from time to time. It's very rare but it happens...
Old 30th November 2013
Here for the gear

The fun never ends. I have an unanswered bug report from 2011 about the crashing LM 662 and CH-2S and no working preset menu in the SC-226. First NF said I needed to uninstall and reinstall, after I replied it didn't work, silence. The updates didn't fix the issues.
Glad I got their stuff on a discount, stinks to buy buggy software I really like AMT, Magnetic II, Motown and the AllTech.

This evening I was going through my limiters and found the E-3B Maximizer limits not only Logic into silence, but my whole system No sound from iTunes or videochat, unless I click "bypass", then everything sounds again. How did they do that
Old 30th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsdolieslager View Post
The fun never ends. I have an unanswered bug report from 2011 about the crashing LM 662 and CH-2S and no working preset menu in the SC-226. First NF said I needed to uninstall and reinstall, after I replied it didn't work, silence. The updates didn't fix the issues.
Glad I got their stuff on a discount, stinks to buy buggy software I really like AMT, Magnetic II, Motown and the AllTech.

This evening I was going through my limiters and found the E-3B Maximizer limits not only Logic into silence, but my whole system No sound from iTunes or videochat, unless I click "bypass", then everything sounds again. How did they do that
Hmmm... it seems that NF are still in some sort of denial about their plugins instability.

I tried the (latest) Magma demo again the other day, as it had seen some updates - 1.6.x, and it crashed Logic 9.1.8 in 10.6.8 in under 10 minutes, just clicking through presets.

That was another plug of theirs that I would buy if it worked properly on my setup.

Again, I do not suffer from Logic crashes with the TONS of other plugz I run here.

Last edited by kevaquarian; 30th November 2013 at 01:06 AM.. Reason: unfinished
Old 30th November 2013
Lives for gear

It seems that some of their plugins don't play well with others on the same channel. I have found that certain combinations 'seem' to work until I reload the project and then there is no audio until I restart the computer.
Old 30th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
It seems that some of their plugins don't play well with others on the same channel. I have found that certain combinations 'seem' to work until I reload the project and then there is no audio until I restart the computer.
This is a good point - and certainly true in my experience. I had a total nightmare integrating the Blue Tubes bundle with BFD2 - The guys at FXpansion examined all the crash reports, as did the NF techs - at least to start with.

Turned out the finger was pointing at NF, and they bailed on doing further testing with other plugins, telling me I was the only one with problems..... apparently not.

I figure loads of people bought the software super cheap on a deal, and just stopped using them when they misbehaved - just like some one else mentioned on this thread, if memory serves. Lots of people with problems, but not many who took the troubleshooting to the level that I did in taking it up with NF?

I posted a long detailed thread on their forum about the whole saga I had in dealing with NF after buying their Integral Pack and having a nightmare with crashes and poor customer/tech support, and they deleted it - indicative of something, I believe.

Last edited by kevaquarian; 30th November 2013 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: after thought
Old 30th November 2013
Lives for gear

I only own their British bundle for the neq that I like a lot and experience the same nearly every crash I ever have in logic 9 is because of this plugin :( rarely use it anymore
Old 30th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Thank you so much for chipping in here Danny - (and everyone else who's contributed to this thread). I am hoping that the more people who speak up about problems, the more likely a true bug fix will come, and then we can use the NF plugz that we like, with confidence in a project.
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Any experience with logic 10? I bought magma when I was on logic 9... But it didn't play nice with VCC's buss plugin. I was going to pick up the magnetic bundle to help out Bernie... But if it doesn't work
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

Echoes in LPX works fine, that's all I can add, on both ML and Mavericks. Why not demo yourself?
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

I bought Magma a few days ago. Seems to be working well in Logic 9 and Studio One here. All the magma FX working fine in Studio One, as well as the third party VSTs including VBC. In Logic a few of the Magma delays are not passing sound, but no crashes in either DAW yet. On the whole a great set of FX plugins, especially liking mod matrix.
Old 8th June 2014
Lives for gear

Is there any alternative to Magnetic II ?! I like it so much but can't get this to work at Live 9 ,10.6.8 .It crashes Ableton at startup so the program itself is deactivating it.
Old 9th June 2014
Lives for gear

You might try an older installer, 10.6.8 is now using older GUI code (Quartz/OpenGL and CI/QE support are all depreciated for 10.6.8 versions).
Old 31st October 2014
Gear Maniac

Just done a complete flatten and reinstall of my system. Was in two minds as to whether to install the NF stuff at all. Decided to install some but not all. LM 662 failed the AU validation

Deleted immediately

Still don't know if I can trust the other NF plugz in client projects.

Hmmmmm.....
Old 9th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Still crashing after all these years....

Now another NF plugin bites the dust - PEQ 5B - crashed 9.1.8 when removing it from a channel strip to replace it with a different plugin I remember years ago this EQ was one of the problem ones....

Deleted. This does not bode well for trusting the plugins in projects. Such a shame as some of them sound good and I would like to use them!

Last edited by kevaquarian; 12th November 2014 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: typo correction
Old 12th November 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevaquarian View Post
Now another NF plugin bites the dust - PEQ 5B - crashed 9.1.8 when removing it from a channel strip to replace it with a different plugin I remember years ago this EQ was one of the problem ones....

Deleted. This does not bode well for trusting the plugins in projects. Such a shame as some of them sound sound and I would like to use them!
Hello Kev,

Nomad Factory is currently working on a new version ISP that will be out very soon.

And part of it is the validation problem with Logic.

Best Regards,

Nick

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search