The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Installing Software with external optical drive.
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Installing Software with external optical drive.

I just purchased logic 9 but i can't install it because my optical drive on my macbook pro just crashed.

I was wondering if anyone knew if its possible to install software with an external dvd drive.

There is nothing made by apple that can do this so if anyone knows any third party products or any way i could it would be very appreciated.
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

nevermind

Found 60 dollar external optical drive for windows. Worked perfectly with my mac though since its plug and play.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear
Yeah mate as you've discovered it works external DVD etc drives work perfectly fine on OSX over USB.

I've taken my optical drive out of my macbook to put a samples/recording drive in so everything I install must be via a USB drive (which is just my macbook's drive inside a $10 case from Ebay

Apples DVDplayer & Frontrow doesn't work properly (so use VLC or something) but thats the only performance loss

Also - I'm unsure about if you can install OSX new versions/ clean install OSX via USB - I haven't tried that

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search