The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PT9, Cubase 5.5, or Logic 9 and Why?
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Real simple PT9, Cubase 5.5, or Logic 9 and why? (ie: Quality, Power, Speed, and Functions)

Please exclude the obvious compatible with other studios advantage of ProTools I am interested in quality differences, functionality, power and speed).

Been a Cubase user for a while now just curious to see what everyone else is using and why.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
I own - and use - all three...Each have their own strong points and weak points. PT's is the most intuitive when tracking audio if you ask me. The audio editing tools are really great. I love the "smart tool". Comping also seems to easier to me in PT's, but I guess Logic people would argue with me. I've never really gotten "Lanes" down in Cubase. As far as feature set, I would think Logic has the biggest selection of bells and whistles, but sometimes I question the quality. Cubase is next and then PT's...Mixing is really where Cubase is the most intuitive to me. PT's 9 is next and then Logic...Logic is the most illogical to me...I've mixed a couple of things in PT's 9 lately with great results, but I still find Cubase to be the most reliable of the three and the one I mix with the most.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

What kind of question is this? Pro Tools, of course!
Old 27th December 2010

"quality" is exactly the same in all 3 - and I'd disregard advice from anyone who suggests otherwise.

I find pt to be vastly superior to logic for audio editing, since you've got way more flexible and precise zoom, fades and so on.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

best for what? production, composing, sound design?
Old 27th December 2010
I am not sure, but is Cubase the only DAW with a separate Control Room mixer that allows you to create different mixes for the guys playing with the headphones in your studio. I find this very useful. Not to mention being able to switch between monitors, mono/stereo button, etc.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Altough I´m coming from Logic many years ago, PT for me/my workflow is the most intuive DAW, when it comes to tracking/mixing/editing/postpro-work, even in cases of routing (works for me like a console). The second big case is, when it comes down to compatibility with the majority of my postpro clients.
But if you ask me, there is no "quality" difference, like "this DAW is better than that, becauss...". The only difference in quality when it comes down to results is, how accommodating your DAW is for your own workflow, to achieve the best results.
To say it in the words of Joe Barresi: "Whatever floasts your boat."
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Reaper cuz it is amazing
Old 27th December 2010

They've all got different solutions for the same problems - but for me...

PT : VCAs, proper trims, excellent routing, integration with ICON and follow main pan.

With respect to to plug ins or sound - they are all the same.

Monitoring while recording? Different mixes - you can do that in all of them.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
and follow main pan
This is default in Nuendo/Cubase too. You can override this by opening the Control Strip section in the channel settings window. There is a button to decouple sendpan and mixpan.

Best regards

Friedemann
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

All very good answers. Appreciate the feedback. Being a Cubase user on a mac my only complaint has been that we aren't 64 bit yet on the mac pro and because I mix primarily ITB, even with a beefed up quad core, my only issue has been running low on computer resources on larger projects. but otherwise love it. Seems like a very well rounded DAW but I am always curious to see what or if anything I am missing by not getting into PT or Logic.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockx3 View Post
All very good answers. Appreciate the feedback. Being a Cubase user on a mac my only complaint has been that we aren't 64 bit yet on the mac pro and because I mix primarily ITB, even with a beefed up quad core, my only issue has been running low on computer resources on larger projects. but otherwise love it. Seems like a very well rounded DAW but I am always curious to see what or if anything I am missing by not getting into PT or Logic.
As someone who used Logic, Samplitude, and PT, it's really the work flow and look of your DAW. It's true Cubase and Logic have stronger midi than PT or some of the cheaper DAW's out there though. Cubase is also a pretty deep program and thankfully they have a great manual on all the features. There are people like Phil Collins and Peter Frampton who have Nuendo/Cubase in their home studios and they could use anything they want. I also like that they have Yamaha as their mothership to give them additional support.

For what it's worth, if your currenty happy with Cubase, I would stick with it. Version 6 is coming out soon and we have been told it will be able to run in 64 bit. heh
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

you mind if I'm not using PT, Cubase, or Logic?

I started on Cubase.. pre VST.. I had a dongle problem and Steinberg's customer support was amazingly bad.. 6 months no respond to that email.. so.. I jumped ship.. to Digital Performer.. which I had used in college.. so I figured maybe I could get some old projects working that way.

Mind you today I also use Record from propeller headz, and Ableton Live.. in addition to DP.

Why? I suppose the usual is why not pro tools.

Well it used to be that you had to use the hardware / interfaces they told you to use.. and I didn't like that.

My other issue was I never understood there product teers.. and frankly it kinda annoyed me that they were the only major DAW without sample compensation on plugs and what not.. that they would lower your track count on the less then pro versions.. and the pro-er versions.. the versions I figure I probably would want.. well you have to spend several grand every couple of years to keep up to date.

I guess part of it is.. having never used PT.. I don't really know what I'm missing.. There are things I'm not happy about with the software I use.. and its possible that Pro Tools.. should I buy it.. and put in the time to learn it.. I'd find it solved my issues.. but I'm not willing to take that risk given the negatives I associate with PT..

I use Record cause I'm a Reason user and it just made sense to do that.

I use Ableton because.. well I produce electronic music and wanted tools for doing live performance.

I figure having multiple tools.. each with there own unique strengths.. gives me certain advantages to having just one Main DAW.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
Logic is the best software for overall production, but I prefer PT:s gui..looks and feel so much nicer. But Logic´s features are just absolutely amazing for music production, PT is not even close in many aspects, but it´s simplicity has it´s virtues as well if you mainly do audio recording and editing + it´s got nice automation.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

protools for tracking/recording bands/editing audio

logic or cubase for electronic music
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Logic has good editing features and gives you more for what you pay.
It's common that people say that it isn't easy and has poor zoom, fades and whatever, but those people don't use it on a daily basis and don't master it's tools (specially at editing and also what was done to simplify and advance work routines). You can have access to major tools at editing without having to use the tool box or any menu. Just need to know a few key commands.
And yes, I know the other 2. Specially Pro Tools since i use it on some studios.
In the end, the best thing is to ask people that really know each soft to tell you what comes with it and demo it for you. I find it's the better way for you to decide.

Cheers
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Cubase, Logic, Protools, Live, DP, Cakewalk are all good tools.

In a big way, it depends on how you like to work.

Very simplistic , but:

Ableton works like a DJ

Protools works like recording engineer behind a board with tape.

Logic/Cubase can do Protools (tape/board thing), but also have Excellent Midi functions, Yes, Protools is catching up on the midi side, because they "hired" the original Steinberg Vi guys from Wizoo, and they've been working hard at it for the past few years, but they are still far behind these 2....

DP --- copy of PT with better midi as well.

Personal thoughts. I own each of these programs above, and use them all for different things, have been using them since 1988 with Cakewalk.

IF you need any help getting up and running, hit me up with questions and will try to help.

Good luck and have Fun!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Cubase/PT/DP user here.

Since you are not concerned with studio compatibility, you are not missing out on anything not using PT (can't comment on Logic). That is if Cubase is stable on your machine. I had some stability issues with Cubase, when PT was solid as a rock.

Is PT more intuitive than Cubase? Sure, maybe. I think so. Intuitiveness usually denotes something that is easily understandable, or you can 'get' with little direction. That being said, it won't seem that intuitive coming from Cubase.

Also, Cubase offers a little bit more freedom than Pro Tools (user defined commands/macros, to name one big blaring example [remember, the OP is not concerned with compatibility, so this is a non-feature for him])

If I was you I would stick with what you know and like. The grass is not greener, it is just different.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
Cubase/PT/DP user here.

Since you are not concerned with studio compatibility, you are not missing out on anything not using PT

If I was you I would stick with what you know and like. The grass is not greener, it is just different.

Awesome advice! Making the time to learn what you have and using it to its fullest potential is definitely where it's at. Wish I'd taken that advice...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search