The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools 9 and Zoom R24 Audio Interfaces
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Pro Tools 9 and Zoom R24

So, I upgraded to Pro Tools 9 a month or so ago, love it, works great. Just got a Zoom R24 to use as an interface/control surface with it. Installed the drivers for that, it's working fine as an interface, but when I set it up as a controller, I keep the message "Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI. Power-cycle HUI and check its connections. Note, if HUI is not in use, update the Peripherals dialog to prevent further warnings."

I have found this error message all over the place, but haven't found anything regarding the Zoom R24 or R16 (same drivers). Any suggestions?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Well, I'm glad I finally found someone using PT9 and an R24 as a control surface because I wanted to do the same thing! I think I used to get this issue when using the Pro Control at school and I think I fixed it by going to Peripherals > Ethernet Controllers and scanning for control surfaces and relinking it? Not sure if that'd work for the R24 but messing around in there might bring something up.
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

It seemed like such a great idea.. If I could only get it working. I'll give that a shot, but it's a USB controller. Worth a try though.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Yeah it may be something in Peripherals, not Ethernet or Midi specifically. I don't have my Pro Tools rig in front of me so I can't do it but yeah, rescanning for the device or selecting it in a drop down menu in Peripherals somewhere I believe is how I fixed mine. Good luck!
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Alright, well, I tried that, didn't fix it. I've tried to go setup->peripherals->MIDI controllers and putting it as an HUI, but that's unfortunately not getting me anywhere. Any more ideas, anybody?
Old 27th December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by raichu View Post
Alright, well, I tried that, didn't fix it. I've tried to go setup->peripherals->MIDI controllers and putting it as an HUI, but that's unfortunately not getting me anywhere. Any more ideas, anybody?
1. The peripherals window needs to have the HUI loaded up and the midi input needs to be the one connected to the Zoom as well as the midi output needs to say the connection thats going to the Zoom as well.
** You have to have midi IN and OUT setup in that peripherals window BTW

2. You need to look at the Zoom manual and setup the zoom to be in Control Surface Mode using the HUI mode, if it doesnt have that then your out of luck.

***Looks like it only does Mackie Control emulation and not the HUI which Protools needs. It aint the Zooms fault, AVID wont let anyone write controller software for their Protools, THATS why it only works with the dinosaur HUI protocol.. PAGE 110 in the Manual
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
***Looks like it only does Mackie Control emulation and not the HUI which Protools needs. It aint the Zooms fault, AVID wont let anyone write controller software for their Protools, THATS why it only works with the dinosaur HUI protocol.. PAGE 110 in the Manual
That explains it. I did not understand the difference until now. Go figure. Well, there is good news... I found a workaround that works, and got it running! Links..

Avid Audio Forums - View Single Post - Zoom R16 - CAN work with Protools 8 as Controller

or

Zoom R16 as Pro Tools Controller (OS X)

Had to edit the MIDIpipe outs according to my IAC buses, but now it works like a dream.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
That explains it. I did not understand the difference until now. Go figure. Well, there is good news... I found a workaround that works, and got it running! Links..

Avid Audio Forums - View Single Post - Zoom R16 - CAN work with Protools 8 as Controller

or

Had to edit the MIDIpipe outs according to my IAC buses, but now it works like a dream.
Its a shame someone had to do that that wasn't employed by Digi or Zoom
Old 30th December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohns37 View Post
Its a shame someone had to do that that wasn't employed by Digi or Zoom

My point EXACTLY!!!

HUI is OLDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!! MCU protocol replaced that a LONG time ago

Glad he got it going though

Thats something for Protoolers to remember about tools, the controller support is not great unless you want to buy a DIG or Euphonix controller
Old 16th February 2011
Here for the gear

Zoom R24 & Pro Tools 9 (Do they work together?

Can anybody please tell me if the Zoom24 works with Pro tool 9? Im about to buy the zoom R24
Old 16th February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeQuan View Post
Can anybody please tell me if the Zoom24 works with Pro tool 9? Im about to buy the zoom R24
It works if you use that method that I linked to.

Quote:

or

It's not perfect, but you can get it running, with some tinkering. I have only been able to get 8 of the faders running, not the master. Hope that helps.
Old 5th May 2011
Here for the gear

R24 w/ Pro Tools 9

So I might have gotten a lil too excited and didnt research if the R24 would even work with Pro Tools 9. But I already got it and the controller part isnt working. So I saw that someone posted that link on how to make it work. My only prob is I don't understand the make 2 IAC Drivers. Can someone tell me how to do that part. I have a Macbook Pro! Thanks!
Old 5th May 2011
Here for the gear

You go into your audio MIDI setup, and open up your IAC driver. Under "ports" you can add IAC buses, named whatever you think is best, and then tweak accordingly in MIDI pipe. Let me know whether you need more info or if that helps..
Old 5th May 2011
Here for the gear

Def need more! What do you mean "tweek". Im such a beginner in this stuff
Old 5th May 2011
Here for the gear

In the links I posted before you'll find links to download MidiPipe and a script for it which has the r24 controls mapped. So, once you open up MidiPipe, you'll have to go to Output and Input and change the MIDI out and MIDI in to the IAC driver you set up for your r24.
Old 5th May 2011
Here for the gear

Hey I'm at home trying it now and know luck. would you be willing to email me your # so I can call and maybe we can walk through this.
Old 9th May 2011
Here for the gear

R24 pt 9

So I got that message to stop coming up.
("Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI. Power-cycle HUI and check its connections. Note, if HUI is not in use, update the Peripherals dialog to prevent further warnings.")

The faders act like a pitch change device. And some of the buttons play notes like the R24 is a Midi keyboard or something. So is this a good sign. I really don't want to have to send this thing back but I need it to work. I'm assuming that it works when the R24's play stop and other buttons light up. Anything I can tweek from this point?
Old 18th July 2011
Here for the gear

Zoom R24, Pro Tools 7, and Windows XP

I am running PT 7. I upgraded to PT 8 but could not use my old controller during bounce down....so I reverted to PT 7.

I recently purchased a Zoom R24 for some light field recording so I would not have to take my rig out. I would love to use the R24 as a control surface at home with my laptop when I am not at the studio.

Is there a way to use the R24 with PT 7 and Windows XP? Thanks!

-Stephen
Old 13th August 2011
Here for the gear

????
Old 14th August 2011
Here for the gear

Sorry man, no clue. You could see if they have MIDIPipe for Windows and give that a shot, I guess.
Old 30th August 2011
Here for the gear

Zoom R16 - CAN work with Protools 8 as Controller - Avid Audio Forums i read this thread a few days ago , its for the r 16 however the logic behind it i assume is the same so it might be worth a try with regards to one of the previous messages about pro tools 7 and the r 24.
Old 4th September 2012
Here for the gear

Hey guys! I have question here. We purchased a new Zoom R24 and we're trying to run it in pro tools. we followed the work around posted by raichu but we still don't get the R24 running with pro tools. We really need help here. Tnx

-We're using PT 8 with mbox 2 Pro. And of course the Zoom R24. we know that it's kinda late for this thread but we're desperate to make it work. Tnx
Old 4th September 2012
Here for the gear

And also we're using MacBook Pro OSX.
Old 27th June 2014
Gear Nut

So if anyone is still paying attention to this thread... did anyone ever find a work around? Am I correct in assuming that the r24 works fine as an interface and that the only problems pertain to using it as a control surface?
Old 11th October 2015
Here for the gear

Thank God for this thread. I finally set mine up)) The trick to this is making sure each of the midi outs for each pipe are consistent and mapping them correctly in pro tools(the midi inputs as well). After this is set up and working properly I saved as the midi pipe configuration to my desktop. So, now I hook up my interface, I launch the midi pipe file I saved from my desktop, and then open pro tools. This saved me 60 bucks I would have spent buying the samson graphite mf8. Also don't touch any of the other settings in midi pipe for this configuration or you'll end up with the weird glitches I was reading about earlier in this. I hope this helps anyone with this. It is indeed possible. I wish I knew how they tapped into this unit to make these changes, because I believe there is a lot more potential to mapping this unit to integrate with the daw, i.e., the pots, the pads, etccc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search